Offense and defense | Syracusefan.com

Offense and defense

shu 49

All Conference
What I saw was a team come out and play hard on both sides. If Dungey stays in game we win 70-7. Some how he effects even our Defense. I feel at this time our team just plays harder and more aggressive when he is in there. Offensively I thought we ran the ball well with Dungey at qb. All of a sudden, DeVito is back there and now we can’t run or catch the ball. Sorry I know this is a game of learning, but after second drop by Butler right in the hands I woulda benched him. No excuse for that. I think in this offense we need a running qb such as Dungey who can make the other team worry about the whole field. Rb didn’t seam overly fast but I thought they were effective. Blocking was good with Dungey in there but not when DeVito was. I feel as though Roberts did not play well when I chose to watch just him. Love Ruff running the ball. Damn he can move for a big guy. We need that once in a while. Huge game shoutout to Custis and what a phenomenal catch he made. Reminds me of Morant. A big year for him. Defensively we shut down there run game early and then we didn’t later. No pressure which worries me but we also didn’t blitz much that I saw. Lb did pretty ok for the most part. I see that Guthrie gets off blocks more naturally than Whitner. He got blocked and bulldozed a few times. I see we are faster on defense overall. I hate to say this but I don’t think the Cordy thing will work well because he does not cover anyone well at all. I love the kid cause of what he had to go thru but watching him get run bye and then not have enough speed to chase guy down was killing me. Number 18 was killing me all second half. So was 19 our fresh. If I am correct Cisco should be deeper than their deepest man and he got ran bye a lot. Did I say a lot. Learning curve I know. I saw good things from Trill who will be starting if Bradshaw plays that bad again. Foster missed play on first td with bad tackling angle and as game whore on he did better. My thought is our best setup would be Bradshaw at nickel and Trill starting at cb. Coley made some nice plays also. DeVito thing shoulda been a couple series and no more. Not that he did bad, the team plays better or it’s better chemistry with Dungey in there. My theory is that the team knows Eric is crazy as a loon and they feed on that. He is a true leader. DeVito will get there. Rumors I heard were Chance looks real good in practice and could push DeVito next year once he knows playbook better. Oh and also heard Adams rb is gonna kill it next year. Can’t wait.

What I saw was a team come out and play hard on both sides. If Dungey stays in game we win 70-7. Some how he effects even our Defense. I feel at this time our team just plays harder and more aggressive when he is in there. Offensively I thought we ran the ball well with Dungey at qb. All of a sudden, DeVito is back there and now we can’t run or catch the ball. Sorry I know this is a game of learning, but after second drop by Butler right in the hands I woulda benched him. No excuse for that. I think in this offense we need a running qb such as Dungey who can make the other team worry about the whole field. Rb didn’t seam overly fast but I thought they were effective. Blocking was good with Dungey in there but not when DeVito was. I feel as though Roberts did not play well when I chose to watch just him. Love Ruff running the ball. Damn he can move for a big guy. We need that once in a while. Huge game shoutout to Custis and what a phenomenal catch he made. Reminds me of Morant. A big year for him. Defensively we shut down there run game early and then we didn’t later. No pressure which worries me but we also didn’t blitz much that I saw. Lb did pretty ok for the most part. I see that Guthrie gets off blocks more naturally than Whitner. He got blocked and bulldozed a few times. I see we are faster on defense overall. I hate to say this but I don’t think the Cordy thing will work well because he does not cover anyone well at all. I love the kid cause of what he had to go thru but watching him get run bye and then not have enough speed to chase guy down was killing me. Number 18 was killing me all second half. So was 19 our fresh. If I am correct Cisco should be deeper than their deepest man and he got ran bye a lot. Did I say a lot. Learning curve I know. I saw good things from Trill who will be starting if Bradshaw plays that bad again. Foster missed play on first td with bad tackling angle and as game whore on he did better. My thought is our best setup would be Bradshaw at nickel and Trill starting at cb. Coley made some nice plays also. DeVito thing shoulda been a couple series and no more. Not that he did bad, the team plays better or it’s better chemistry with Dungey in there. My theory is that the team knows Eric is crazy as a loon and they feed on that. He is a true leader. DeVito will get there. Rumors I heard were Chance looks real good in practice and could push DeVito next year once he knows playbook better. Oh and also heard Adams rb is gonna kill it next year. Can’t wait.
Safeties didn't get deep and took bad angles. All WMU had was chunk pass plays from a team with a QB with a somewhat weak arm and we didn't come close to stopping those plays.

Yeah and yeah. My hope is the coaches have the long term wisdom and momentary fortitude to make the personnel changes now and get the best players on the field to help us win: more Trill, less Bradshaw, Cordy. More freshman receivers and less Butler. Bradshaw did make some excellent plays pass defending near the goal line early on, but is prone to the long ball. Trill did shut Eskridge down. He's gotta play now. Cordy (in my uneducated view) seems to run around purposelessly too much. We know he's a leader and his stout backstory, but his effectiveness in pass coverage is questionable. I know there are team political pressures to keep the upperclassmen in their roles, but when they're ineffective, then swap'em out for our hungry and talented freshman and Rfr class.

I'm at a loss to explain our lack of pass rush with Slayton and Robinson up front. It seemed like they were rushing 3 sometimes w/a spy tracking the QB. How about a blitz once in a while. But what do I know? I'm just a fan who longs for a competitive winning season and a bowl game against a marquee opponent.

If we had a defense (which we may, it's still early) to complement our offense, imagine the possibilities. C'mon Ward, get these guys motivated, directed and synchronous.

The main thing is we won. We won, we won, we won. Making strategic adjustments in the wake of a victory is a whole lot easier than making a few token moves after a dispiriting loss.

FSU has tape and will see all our O strengths and D lapses. If we can recognze how they'll attack us, we can adjust now and be ready without having to tip our hand against Wagner. That's the hope anyway. We've got to get the most effective personnel on the field despite offending some of the program guys.

Last edited:
Yeah and yeah. My hope is the coaches have the long term wisdom and momentary fortitude to make the personnel changes now and get the best players on the field to help us win: more Trill, less Bradshaw, Cordy. More freshman receivers and less Butler. Bradshaw did make some excellent plays pass defending near the goal line early on, but is prone to the long ball. Trill did shut Eskridge down. He's gotta play now. Cordy (in my uneducated view) seems to run around purposelessly too much. We know he's a leader and his stout backstory, but his effectiveness in pass coverage is questionable. I know there are team political pressures to keep the upperclassmen in their roles, but when they're ineffective, then swap'em out for our hungry and talented freshman and Rfr class.

If we had a defense (which we may, it's still early) to complement our offense, imagine the possibilities. C'mon Ward, get these guys motivated, directed and synchronous.

The main thing is we won. We won, we won, we won. Making strategic adjustments in the wake of a victory is a whole lot easier than making a few token moves after a dispiriting loss.

FSU has tape and will see all our O strengths and D lapses. If we can recognze how they'll attack us, we can adjust now and be ready without having to tip our hand against Wagner. That's the hope anyway. We've got to get the most effective personnel on the field despite offending some of the program guys.
If there's anything to put hope in, it's that we actually didn't show Florida State a whole lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom