Offense, Defense and Dom Madonna | Syracusefan.com

Offense, Defense and Dom Madonna

OnlyOrange

Walk On
The Syracuse offence has been abysmal for the most part. They were able to get it together in the second half, but I worry about the upcoming schedule. The strategy they're trying peddle as an offence is anaemic and unproductive. Donahue needs to do some reevaluation of their ability and make some adjustments. Like I said in the game thread, they are not a dodging team. I don't think they have the size and speed to dodge with predictable success. Someone needs to do some serious shot selection training with this group. Trimboli threw up three horrible shots in OT that should have cost SU the game. He needs to be an asset, not a liability. I think he has a lot of potential and can be a go-to on O, he just needs to settle down and pick his shots. Matt Lane. This kid is huge, but he runs so slow I'd be able to make a sandwich by the time he completed a 40 yard dash. Either he's slow, or he just hasn't turned on the jets yet. I don't see him being much of an asset at midfield. If I was calling the shots I'd park his huge self on the crease in a 14 and run him through exchange cuts when the ball is at X. He's so tall I have to think he could catch a pass toes-on-the-chalk and dunk it once or twice a game. Bomberry and Solomon seem to be solid. When they have opportunities they seem to capitalise for the most part thus far. I think less dodging and more ball movement/motion offence will go a long way for the 'Cuse.

Defense is up and down. I don't think they slide enough and when they do it's late most of the time. This could be a communication issue, but I think it's a field vision/recognition issue. They have to see their teammate getting beat before they're beat and slide. I'd rather have early slides than no/late slides. Keep the stick in front. I have noticed that too many times our D will roll an attack back from high side and then raise their stick to try to make some heroic trail check and they just end up getting beat inside. They're giving up too many time and room shots inside 12 yards. They have to extend out on known shooters. They have to stop giving up cushion when a shooter catches the ball at 18 yards. Two steps and they're firing a time and room shot from 10-12 yards. I would like to see some zone defense. I think running a zone against Albany would have been more successful than getting toasted man to man. Man down defense wasn't great. Lots of ball watching. This is an area that needs improvement.

Dom Madonna. This past game made it pretty clear that he's an aggressive goalie. He didn't hesitate to throw a stick check in the first quarter to facilitate a turnover and tried to push the ball too hard on a clear after a nice save that resulted in a turnover. The kid makes saves though. I thought there were a couple that he should have/needed to snag, but then again, he's getting shot on from 10-12 yards out with time and room. His 4th qtr performance could have been better and prevented an OT situation. However, he made HUGE saves in OT, three times. Two rockets from Symmes, one man-down and he made another save right on the front porch to keep this team alive. His 40 yard bomb to Simmons shows how aggressive and confident he is. He made some mistakes, one that resulted in an Army goal and shrugged it off. They gave him 7 saves, I counted 8. Game winning 40 yard assist shows some serious field vision/lax IQ. He's improving every week. Hope he keeps this up. SU has a difficult schedule and it looks like he is going to be a very important part of the defense (and offense apparently).

Agree with a ton in this post. The shot selection as awful yesterday for the most part. Trimboli was the main culprit with four shots right in the goalies stick. I commented on this against Albany, even the goal he scored to start that game was right at the goalies stick. Watching the first half of the UVa-Princeton game last night, I noticed that most of the goals against UVA’s freshman were off stick hip and bouncers. That has to be the target spot.

I would love to see some 1-4 and even some 2-4 stack plays with 29 and one of the better passing middies working behind.

I was critical of starting Dom, wanted one of the younger goalies (drake or willie) to grab the starting job and hold it for a few years. That said, he was very good yesterday. Making big saves when needed and pushing that final pass. That said, he is the starting spot for most clear and they have to do a better job. One or two failed clears a game is acceptable, 5+ is not.

This is not a great Orange team and it won't even be a good Orange team unless a lot of guys grow up in a hurry. On the other hand, they showed some grit and resilience yesterday and that counts for a lot (I was ready to write the season off after the first half). As far as individuals go, I'd encourage folks to look at Kennedy's ground ball total (5) and hustle play. I think he needs to be on the field and I think Desko might be wise to to put him on the wings to ease some of the problems at the face-off dot. Same with Fernandez. He's quick and Alberici commented on what a nuisance be made himself to the Army offense. If the opposing coach notices, then Desko and staff should take heed. On the offense, Dordevic continues to impress on the alley dodge while Lipka seems to have a sense for where to be in fluid situations (an area where Dylan Donahue was magic). Speaking of the face-off, it seemed like Varello made some clamps but had trouble turning that into a possession. And 50-50 balls almost all went to Army. I'd pay to see what conclusions the coaching staff draws from breaking down the film.

liked what fernandez brought to the face-offs. big crane lane and his cannon shot best used on man ups.

This is not a great Orange team and it won't even be a good Orange team unless a lot of guys grow up in a hurry. On the other hand, they showed some grit and resilience yesterday and that counts for a lot (I was ready to write the season off after the first half). As far as individuals go, I'd encourage folks to look at Kennedy's ground ball total (5) and hustle play. I think he needs to be on the field and I think Desko might be wise to to put him on the wings to ease some of the problems at the face-off dot. Same with Fernandez. He's quick and Alberici commented on what a nuisance be made himself to the Army offense. If the opposing coach notices, then Desko and staff should take heed. On the offense, Dordevic continues to impress on the alley dodge while Lipka seems to have a sense for where to be in fluid situations (an area where Dylan Donahue was magic). Speaking of the face-off, it seemed like Varello made some clamps but had trouble turning that into a possession. And 50-50 balls almost all went to Army. I'd pay to see what conclusions the coaching staff draws from breaking down the film.

Good post. Do u have a link to Alberici's comments? Interestee to read them.

The Syracuse offence has been abysmal for the most part. They were able to get it together in the second half, but I worry about the upcoming schedule. The strategy they're trying peddle as an offence is anaemic and unproductive. Donahue needs to do some reevaluation of their ability and make some adjustments. Like I said in the game thread, they are not a dodging team. I don't think they have the size and speed to dodge with predictable success. Someone needs to do some serious shot selection training with this group. Trimboli threw up three horrible shots in OT that should have cost SU the game. He needs to be an asset, not a liability. I think he has a lot of potential and can be a go-to on O, he just needs to settle down and pick his shots. Matt Lane. This kid is huge, but he runs so slow I'd be able to make a sandwich by the time he completed a 40 yard dash. Either he's slow, or he just hasn't turned on the jets yet. I don't see him being much of an asset at midfield. If I was calling the shots I'd park his huge self on the crease in a 14 and run him through exchange cuts when the ball is at X. He's so tall I have to think he could catch a pass toes-on-the-chalk and dunk it once or twice a game. Bomberry and Solomon seem to be solid. When they have opportunities they seem to capitalise for the most part thus far. I think less dodging and more ball movement/motion offence will go a long way for the 'Cuse.

Defense is up and down. I don't think they slide enough and when they do it's late most of the time. This could be a communication issue, but I think it's a field vision/recognition issue. They have to see their teammate getting beat before they're beat and slide. I'd rather have early slides than no/late slides. Keep the stick in front. I have noticed that too many times our D will roll an attack back from high side and then raise their stick to try to make some heroic trail check and they just end up getting beat inside. They're giving up too many time and room shots inside 12 yards. They have to extend out on known shooters. They have to stop giving up cushion when a shooter catches the ball at 18 yards. Two steps and they're firing a time and room shot from 10-12 yards. I would like to see some zone defense. I think running a zone against Albany would have been more successful than getting toasted man to man. Man down defense wasn't great. Lots of ball watching. This is an area that needs improvement.

Dom Madonna. This past game made it pretty clear that he's an aggressive goalie. He didn't hesitate to throw a stick check in the first quarter to facilitate a turnover and tried to push the ball too hard on a clear after a nice save that resulted in a turnover. The kid makes saves though. I thought there were a couple that he should have/needed to snag, but then again, he's getting shot on from 10-12 yards out with time and room. His 4th qtr performance could have been better and prevented an OT situation. However, he made HUGE saves in OT, three times. Two rockets from Symmes, one man-down and he made another save right on the front porch to keep this team alive. His 40 yard bomb to Simmons shows how aggressive and confident he is. He made some mistakes, one that resulted in an Army goal and shrugged it off. They gave him 7 saves, I counted 8. Game winning 40 yard assist shows some serious field vision/lax IQ. He's improving every week. Hope he keeps this up. SU has a difficult schedule and it looks like he is going to be a very important part of the defense (and offense apparently).
About slides - Army used picks very well, particularly goal edge picks where the goal acted as an obstacle. Dami slid at least twice just as Mellen came into position to beat the pick and once he knocked Mellen down. Dami did not recover and Mellen's guy scored. Army continued to feed off well constructed picks for a few goals. Symmes used them well. SU has not handled well executed picks well for a couple seasons. They slide too early or too late. The young kids are especially prone to mess them up. I think the reason for these errors is the poor execution on SU's offensive use of picks. I have long lamented the pedestrian approach to SU's offensive picking. They should use picks far more than they do and with much better technique. Because they do not, SU's ssdms and long poles don't always defend them well. They practice against poor technique. Against Army SU was called for illegal picks more than once. Turnover!

On a related subject, I question the criticism of Trimboli and his second half shots. They were poorly placed sure, but listen to Desko after the game. He said he exhorted the offensive to dodge hard and shoot. That seemed his primary tactic. I think Trimboli listened and followed orders. He was more aggressive in his dodges than he had been in the first half. Dordevic the same. They are good players who could benefit from multiple picking on top and around the cage, but SU does not seem to emphasize it. These shots were off target, but got Army moving. Next time they'll find passing targets.

One more point. SU will suffer from Desko's willingness to play a lot of young kids in first second and third middie lines and on defense, but there are many advantages. Recruits will notice that these guys are playing a lot, a lot more then Desko played them in the past. And, by the end of the year the freshmen and sophomores will have a ton of experience which may serve SU well next year if not this one. I love watching Dordevic, Kennedy, Fernandez, Curry, Lipka, especially Murphy, Dami, and a few others even when they screw up. It's not for lack of trying.

About slides - Army used picks very well, particularly goal edge picks where the goal acted as an obstacle. Dami slid at least twice just as Mellen came into position to beat the pick and once he knocked Mellen down. Dami did not recover and Mellen's guy scored. Army continued to feed off well constructed picks for a few goals. Symmes used them well. SU has not handled well executed picks well for a couple seasons. They slide too early or too late. The young kids are especially prone to mess them up. I think the reason for these errors is the poor execution on SU's offensive use of picks. I have long lamented the pedestrian approach to SU's offensive picking. They should use picks far more than they do and with much better technique. Because they do not, SU's ssdms and long poles don't always defend them well. They practice against poor technique. Against Army SU was called for illegal picks more than once. Turnover!

On a related subject, I question the criticism of Trimboli and his second half shots. They were poorly placed sure, but listen to Desko after the game. He said he exhorted the offensive to dodge hard and shoot. That seemed his primary tactic. I think Trimboli listened and followed orders. He was more aggressive in his dodges than he had been in the first half. Dordevic the same. They are good players who could benefit from multiple picking on top and around the cage, but SU does not seem to emphasize it. These shots were off target, but got Army moving. Next time they'll find passing targets.

One more point. SU will suffer from Desko's willingness to play a lot of young kids in first second and third middie lines and on defense, but there are many advantages. Recruits will notice that these guys are playing a lot, a lot more then Desko played them in the past. And, by the end of the year the freshmen and sophomores will have a ton of experience which may serve SU well next year if not this one. I love watching Dordevic, Kennedy, Fernandez, Curry, Lipka, especially Murphy, Dami, and a few others even when they screw up. It's not for lack of trying.

Good points in your first paragraph about offensive picks. SU got away with a blatant moving pick on the Army crease in the 4th that led to a wide open goal.

In general, I’m not a fan of offenses that primarily use picks; and I don’t think you’re suggesting scrapping the motion O for that.

Army and Hopkins like to invert and play the pick game at X and around GLE. It’s an effective tactic against poor communicating/sliding defenses but I find it boring to watch.

I also think the other 4 offensive players are prone to ball watching making the secondary slide easier.

Last edited:
Trimbo's shots were not forced, they were good shots within that context, just bad in the execution. These kids wouldn't have survived in the old days when a coach would tear your head off for (repeatedly) not bouncing shots.

OOT astutely noticed against Albany Trimbo's shot was high to high right at the goalies stick and I saw it plain as day actually hit the goalies stick. Lucky it wasn't a save really. It hit the top plastic of Colarusso's stick and the force of the shot knocked the stick back and the ball went in.

The shots are there, he needs to rethink his approach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom