Official Gameday Thread!! | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Official Gameday Thread!!

Well...so are you saying that we should never fire underperforming coaches? And I do not want to see Shafer get canned. I really like him.

Location, finances and local support (sold out venues) will always prohibit us from being elite. People just need to get good with that, temper expectations, enjoy the really good seasons when we have them, and roll with it. It's all you can do, really.
No. I think underperforming coaches are definitely on hot seats. Right now, though, I think Shafer should get one more year. We're so freaking young, at so many key positions, that I think he should get one more year to show what his staff can do with them.

I do think that Bullough's seat should be red hot though. Same with Reed. Those two could/should be gone unless we see a drastic improvement in the second half of the season.

I just think it's a terrible idea to keep turning over coaches ever 3-4 years. That's absolutely no way to build a program, unless it's just horrendously bad coaching, like 1-2 wins per year level bad.

No. I think underperforming coaches are definitely on hot seats. Right now, though, I think Shafer should get one more year. We're so freaking young, at so many key positions, that I think he should get one more year to show what his staff can do with them.

I do think that Bullough's seat should be red hot though. Same with Reed. Those two could/should be gone unless we see a drastic improvement in the second half of the season.

I just think it's a terrible idea to keep turning over coaches ever 3-4 years. That's absolutely no way to build a program, unless it's just horrendously bad coaching, like 1-2 wins per year level bad.
Agree 100%. Hope Shaf can keep his guys' heads in the game and play this season out hard. I think next season could be our coming out party. That's the do or die year.

It's going to be tough for Coyle to convince the general public to buy tickets with Shafer at the helm next year if he only wins 3 or 4 games this season.

Look this game comes down to our defensive captain making a mistake, which he probably never makes again, no face mask, and we get the ball, and win.

It's going to be tough for Coyle to convince the general public to buy tickets with Shafer at the helm next year if he only wins 3 or 4 games this season.
As OrangeXtreme said elsewhere (and he's right), if Shafer is fired "Clark to Pitt. Mo Neal to NC State. 6 more recruits will walk. 6 players will transfer".

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm starting to feel like this might be necessary. The defense is just awful. Tackling (which can be taught) is terrible. We get beat on the edge and the secondary is a hot mess.

Look this game comes down to our defensive captain making a mistake, which he probably never makes again, no face mask, and we get the ball, and win.

3 points in the second half against a terrible defense.

That's what lost the game.

24 points in regulation, 7 on defense, 7 on a gift short field one play drive.

That's why I say we need to slow down in the fire Shafer talk.

3 points in the second half against a terrible defense.

That's what lost the game.

24 points in regulation, 7 on defense, 7 on a gift short field one play drive.
On the flip side of this. Virginia got a homer of a call with the Dungey fumble. Without that score this is a totally different ball game.

rocfan44 said:
On the flip side of this. Virginia got a homer of a call with the Dungey fumble. Without that score this is a totally different ball game.
They also missed a face mask on Dungey in the third OT.

As OrangeXtreme said elsewhere (and he's right), if Shafer is fired "Clark to Pitt. Mo Neal to NC State. 6 more recruits will walk. 6 players will transfer".

Be careful what you wish for.

UVA is exhibit A that bad coaching wastes talent. We cannot win with Shafer no matter what talent he brings in. Time to move on.

So we shouldn't change coaches if SU has another dismal record because we might lose Moe Neal and a TE who won't get on the field until 2017 assuming he actually stays here the whole time. Wow.

And none of that has anything to do with only scoring 3 points against a horrible team.

They also missed a face mask on Dungey in the third OT.
I thought so watching it live, too, but I rewound and watched that play again, and the defensive player never got the facemask.

So we shouldn't change coaches if SU has another dismal record because we might lose Moe Neal and a TE who won't get on the field until 2017 assuming he actually stays here the whole time. Wow.
Nothing 'wow' about it. Just need to think about what we want to happen. Need to think about the good and the bad.

Nothing 'wow' about it. Just need to think about what we want to happen. Need to think about the good and the bad.

Were staring at back to back 3-9 seasons how much worse or bad can it get.

Our new rb George Mason!

George_Mason_portrait.jpg

latest

Great, we now have the three Super Fans; Orangefoo, leftytg and Willy 75 off the band wagon. It smells so much better without them.
Super fan? I've watched this team since the late 80s and I'm still here posting about this team as I have done every year since I discovered syracusefan.com in the mid-90s. I'm not a board insider by any means but I've been around.

Anyways I'm not off the Syracuse bandwagon but the only reason I'm not on the hcss bandwagon is I got off it two years ago. This season is turning out how I thought it would... You can look up the post I made in August saying so. I was briefly hopeful after the LSU game but hcss has reverted to form. It's time to move on.