Class of 2017 - OG Kevin Jarvis (IL) Verbal to Michigan State | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 OG Kevin Jarvis (IL) Verbal to Michigan State

Wow, impressive tape. This kid is violent and nasty. He wasn't happy with just pancaking his man, or driving him down the field 20 yards. He then tried to grind them into the turf after they were down. 6-5 330, playing guard. I would guess Jarvis will be offered by most of the big boys, especially in the BiG10.

Although Christmas has come and gone, the good news has not stopped rolling in for junior offensive lineman Kevin Jarvis. As a rising star on the Maine South offensive line in Park Ridge, Illinois, Jarvis added his sixth Division I scholarship offer on Dec. 30.

“I got an offer today from Syracuse,” Jarvis told Today’s U. “Now I have offers from Toledo, Illinois, Rutgers, Tennessee, Iowa State and Syracuse.”

Standing at 6-foot-5 and 330 pounds, Jarvis has the size and aggression required to contribute in college. On film, Jarvis shows a desire to bury his opponents into the ground, which is evidenced by his 40 pancake blocks on the season. As a result, Jarvis had a feeling that an offer from Syracuse may come sooner or later.

“I thought it might be coming in because my teammate, Liam O’Sullivan, he’s committed to play at Syracuse,” Jarvis said. “He’s a tackle. I knew that they knew who I was, but they were pretty much focusing on Liam, which I was totally fine with. When they finally made their choice to offer me, I was happy about it.”

During the summer, Jarvis took a visit to Ohio State to participate in the Buckeyes’ summer camp. Jarvis provided a positive review of his time in Columbus.

“I thought it was really, really nice out there,” Jarvis said. “It was really cool being out at a school like that that just won a national championship. It was really cool.”

Although Jarvis hasn’t had an opportunity to visit any of the schools that have offered him so far, the Illinois native describes his relationship with a few coaching staffs that are currently in the mix.

“With Illinois, they show a lot of interest and I talk to them a lot,” Jarvis said. “With Rutgers, I can tell they’re going through a coaching change with their head coach, but before that we talked quite often. Now we still talk, but they’re busy right now, which is fine. Everyone that has offered me is showing a decent amount of interest, but probably the most is Tennessee right now.”

With the Volunteers’ program in heavy pursuit, Jarvis shared why he is interested in the Tennessee program. Among the factors that resonate with the three-star recruit is a chance to impact the starting lineup down the road.

“They play a really good conference, which is the SEC,” Jarvis said. “I like that a lot. I think I would have the opportunity to play early, which is my number one goal– to get on the field as early as I can. They are really friendly and a good coaching staff.”

During his junior campaign, Jarvis, who is ranked as the No. 35 offensive tackle in the 2017 class by 247Sports, showed his strength and mean streak time and time again. As a formidable opponent, Jarvis thinks that he had a successful 2015 season.

“Personally, I thought I had a really good season,” Jarvis said. “I accomplished pretty much everything I wanted to, which I was happy about. I feel like we did well, but I think we could have done better than we did.”

Jarvis said he plans to take his team further than the second round of the playoffs during his senior year in 2016.

Who is Liam O'Sullivan? When did I miss him committing to play Tackle at SU?

If we show some love on a consistency we may be able to land this stud, plus that he is really tight with Liam O'Sullivan.

Scouting report:
Jarvis has established himself as one of the top offensive linemen in the Midwest over the past eight months. At 6-foot-5 and 315 pounds, his game is best-suited for offensive guard, but it is not out of the question that he could play right tackle in college. Jarvis plays light on his feet and is a good athlete. With his frame, defensive linemen have a difficult time getting around Jarvis and once he locks on he has the strength to control defenders to the whistle.

Recruiting breakdown: Jarvis’ recruitment has exploded over the winter, and the Chicagoland native now lists offers from 16 schools. The interest has expanded outside the Midwest and includes recent offers from SEC programs Arkansas, Auburn and Mississippi State. With his stock still rising, Jarvis is just taking it all in and does not list any favorites. He is planning to visit both Arkansas and Michigan this spring.