Ogundeko | Syracusefan.com

Ogundeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who didn't see this coming?

I will say be patient. But another caveat - It's going to be a tough road to hoe with top-flight recruits until we start winning. Regularly.

The only way we land these kids is if one of these 4/5 star guys looks at signing with SU as the ultimate representation of the state of New York. Feeling as though him going to SU is gonna put NY football in the prime time of college football. I feel as if once one of them breaks this glass ceiling we seem to be bumping into, more will follow.

We missed on Ishaq and got Reddish. Maybe we miss on Ogundeko and get Edwards?

ND

Ishaq, Jarron, Ebenezer... :noidea:

ND is NY State's top talent stealer.

We missed on Ishaq and got Reddish. Maybe we miss on Ogundeko and get Edwards?

ND

I think this is a realistic scenario right now. Like I've maintained since we had that long thread on Ogundeko, he was a very long shot. I also thought it was a long shot that him and Gus actually went to the same school. Haven't heard them talk about this in a while. Ogundeko is on another level recruiting wise than Edwards and its hard for city guys to say no to the glitz and glamor of the NDs, Bamas, and Floridas of the world.

Ishaq, Jarron, Ebenezer... :noidea:

ND is NY State's top talent stealer.

All those guys would be stars at Cuse, perhaps at ND as well... But they are closer to the norm... Too Bad!

Has he been up to SU yet?

Yes, I believe a few times. He met Chan Jones on his last visit and also discovered that Freeney went to SU. He didn't know that before.

Yes, I believe a few times. He met Chan Jones on his last visit and also discovered that Freeney went to SU. He didn't know that before.

Well, it's a long time to signing day. Hopefully the NYS SU boys still have his ear.

Kids with those types of choices are always going to be a long putt. That's nothing new in the history of this program. There's a reason why it was such a big deal when Green and Konrad committed here.

agreed and this will NEVER change, sure once in a great while you will be able to steal one, but people expecting kids with national offers to choose Syracuse are always going to be disappointed, well 9 times out of 10, minimum. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the kid too, but we need to beat out who we can, stay consistent from the top down and we will be fine. I just think it's realistic, I mean when you tour facilities, etc and compare and contrast, I think most would go elsewhere as well, when recruiting versus the real big boys. You can only sell so much snake oil and smoke and mirrors

If my memory serves me correctly, the star system came about around 1999?

Since then we've only had (1) 5 star commitment. Ever. (Johnnie Morant 2000)

So yeah, getting guys who are PERCEIVED top talents like Jarron/Ishag/Ogundeko is a long long putt. (Thankfully star ratings are just perceptions otherwise ND would be perennial champions.)

He also pushed his commitment date back. Who didn't see that coming as well? Just glad this is happening now.

I think you have to look at Eb's entire recruitment process to date.
First he commits to UConn and then almost immediately de-Commits.
Then the attention starts to increase...Bama comes courting.
Next he and Augustus start talking about how they will commit to the same school.
Now more attention and supposed ND attention to Augustus.

FWIW, I"m not sure Eb is the type of kid that will stray far from his support system, ie Zach Allen.
Maybe it all just comes down to with which group of NYC kids he feels a stronger bond. The ones at SU or the ones at ND.

Syracuse has got to stop with "we are NY's CFB Program" and realize they have to become a program before claiming any turf. We are 3rd if not 4th in pulling top talent out of NY. Maybe it is time we put some more effort in individuals, no matter where they come from, that will make this program what it should be. Take a lesson out of Boise play book, see your product, improve your product, and the kids will come to you, no matter where you are. I for one saw all this coming a long time ago with Ebeneezer. If he choses us, great, if not say Hi to Ishaq and JJ and see you in 2014. DM said it best last year when he told Morgan; "you have to feel it is right for you to be here!"

When kids start saying that as Morgan did last year, then we got a program and maybe claim to a state. Unless recruiting improves, all this program can hope for is over achieving each year, as we did the year before. Mid 50's recruiting classes don't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom