Oh happy day | Syracusefan.com

Oh happy day

Lot of strong branding news items out there today for the good old Syracuse. Sheesh. Make it stop, please.

The promenade is such a bizarre proposal; I can't pretend to know what Kent's thinking is behind this, but it's understandable that the faculty are frustrated, especially after a decade of Chancy Nancy frittering away money on her own pet projects.

The promenade is such a bizarre proposal; I can't pretend to know what Kent's thinking is behind this, but it's understandable that the faculty are frustrated, especially after a decade of Chancy Nancy frittering away money on her own pet projects.
I've never walked down those sidewalks thinking, man if only this whole road were one big sidewalk.

OttoMets said:
What a waste of money. Is this the road that cuts through campus at the bottom of the hill?

What a waste of money. Is this the road that cuts through campus at the bottom of the hill?
Yup... in front of the library and student center.

I have mixed feelings about this. Had it been in place 35 years ago then a friend of mine would still be alive.

Moontan said:
Yup... in front of the library and student center. I have mixed feelings about this. Had it been in place 35 years ago then a friend of mine would still be alive.
I was obviously after your incident (my condolences btw) and recall it being v limited access anyway. Not sure I ever saw a non SU security car drive it.

I'm glad they limited the traffic a while back. It used to be a real pain. I'm not sure how much it will change to eliminate it completely, other than to improve the aesthetics.

The two things (jobs and promenade) are unrelated and decisions about them are not linked. If they need to trim jobs, then they should do that. If they need to make the campus more attractive, then do that too. It's not like if the promenade idea was nixed they would reverse course on jobs.

Some of the comments by professors in that article are truly idiotic. And I may add, who cares what professor X, on the other side of the campus, feels about a new walkway?

The two things (jobs and promenade) are unrelated and decisions about them are not linked. If they need to trim jobs, then they should do that. If they need to make the campus more attractive, then do that too. It's not like if the promenade idea was nixed they would reverse course on jobs.
i think a lot of professors will complain about every process that doesn't involve endless meetings where everyone gets to talk about their feelings

Millhouse said:
i think a lot of professors will complain about every process that doesn't involve endless meetings where everyone gets to talk about their feelings
And more $$$. That said they could just put 2 iron fences at each end of the street and save roughly $5,990,000.

I was obviously after your incident (my condolences btw) and recall it being v limited access anyway. Not sure I ever saw a non SU security car drive it.

I drove on it just yesterday.

http://fastforward.syr.edu/2016/05/...llor-syverud-addresses-feedback-and-concerns/

Two Additional Open Sessions on Promenade Project Conclude; Chancellor Syverud Addresses Feedback and Concerns

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud spoke to a group of faculty, staff and students on Tuesday, May 10, at the second of two additional information sessions focused on the proposed University Place Promenade project. The Chancellor, as well as Michael Speaks, dean of the School of Architecture and a member of the Campus Framework Advisory Group, and Peter Sala, vice president and chief facilities officer, also answered a number of questions from the audience of about 60 people.

The additional information sessions come on the heels of 18 months of work done by the Campus Framework Advisory Group, which is comprised of faculty, students and staff. The group has gathered thousands of input points to gain insights into the priorities of the campus community. Town hall meetings, surveys, small group meetings, email communications and news stories have provided opportunities for each constituency to share feedback and offer input on the future of the Syracuse University campus.

In addressing the group Tuesday, Chancellor Syverud said community feedback is critical to the success of the University and reiterated what he had heard over the last couple of days as a result of a petition submitted my University faculty.

“The Promenade was in planning for the last 18 months, but I have to tell you that I had only heard one concern about the project, from anyone, up until last week—and that was about better bicycle access, which the plan was adjusted to accommodate. Since last week, though, I have heard a lot of concerns about this particular project, mostly from Newhouse faculty. And underlying those concerns, I heard broader concerns—and not just from Newhouse—about communications and process about campus projects and the campus framework,” the Chancellor told the audience.

The Chancellor went on to say that there has actually been more process and communication on this Promenade than on many projects in the past decade. Acknowledging it clearly wasn’t enough, the Chancellor asked that everyone on the campus—from staff to deans to faculty—work to model a new culture going forward.

“Many people I talk with in the University yearn, I think, for a golden age of transparency, in which important issues facing the community are surfaced and discussed before they are decided. They don’t expect always to get their way. They do expect to be actively listened to before the decision is final. I get that and I agree with that view. I am skeptical that the University always worked that way before I got here. The important thing is that we have to keep moving in that direction—and I have been trying to move in that direction. An obvious first step is to share all the details of the Campus Framework, and I expect that will happen promptly.”

The project, part of the University’s Campus Framework, is an initiative that is expected to dramatically enhance the campus landscape and improve the student experience. The Promenade will create a greater sense of physical connectedness for all members of the campus community and calls for converting University Place, from Newhouse all the way to the Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Center, into a primarily pedestrian space, which will be fully accessible.

The Campus Framework plan works in coordination with the University’s Academic Strategic Plan to shape, guide and manage the Syracuse University campus environment and its physical form in support of the University’s mission.

When asked by faculty what the next step is, the Chancellor said: “I am going to look at this specific project, confer with Pete [Sala] and with the Board, and advocate with the full Board for the decision I think is best.”

http://fastforward.syr.edu/2016/05/...llor-syverud-addresses-feedback-and-concerns/

Two Additional Open Sessions on Promenade Project Conclude; Chancellor Syverud Addresses Feedback and Concerns

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud spoke to a group of faculty, staff and students on Tuesday, May 10, at the second of two additional information sessions focused on the proposed University Place Promenade project. The Chancellor, as well as Michael Speaks, dean of the School of Architecture and a member of the Campus Framework Advisory Group, and Peter Sala, vice president and chief facilities officer, also answered a number of questions from the audience of about 60 people.

The additional information sessions come on the heels of 18 months of work done by the Campus Framework Advisory Group, which is comprised of faculty, students and staff. The group has gathered thousands of input points to gain insights into the priorities of the campus community. Town hall meetings, surveys, small group meetings, email communications and news stories have provided opportunities for each constituency to share feedback and offer input on the future of the Syracuse University campus.

In addressing the group Tuesday, Chancellor Syverud said community feedback is critical to the success of the University and reiterated what he had heard over the last couple of days as a result of a petition submitted my University faculty.

“The Promenade was in planning for the last 18 months, but I have to tell you that I had only heard one concern about the project, from anyone, up until last week—and that was about better bicycle access, which the plan was adjusted to accommodate. Since last week, though, I have heard a lot of concerns about this particular project, mostly from Newhouse faculty. And underlying those concerns, I heard broader concerns—and not just from Newhouse—about communications and process about campus projects and the campus framework,” the Chancellor told the audience.

The Chancellor went on to say that there has actually been more process and communication on this Promenade than on many projects in the past decade. Acknowledging it clearly wasn’t enough, the Chancellor asked that everyone on the campus—from staff to deans to faculty—work to model a new culture going forward.

“Many people I talk with in the University yearn, I think, for a golden age of transparency, in which important issues facing the community are surfaced and discussed before they are decided. They don’t expect always to get their way. They do expect to be actively listened to before the decision is final. I get that and I agree with that view. I am skeptical that the University always worked that way before I got here. The important thing is that we have to keep moving in that direction—and I have been trying to move in that direction. An obvious first step is to share all the details of the Campus Framework, and I expect that will happen promptly.”

The project, part of the University’s Campus Framework, is an initiative that is expected to dramatically enhance the campus landscape and improve the student experience. The Promenade will create a greater sense of physical connectedness for all members of the campus community and calls for converting University Place, from Newhouse all the way to the Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Center, into a primarily pedestrian space, which will be fully accessible.

The Campus Framework plan works in coordination with the University’s Academic Strategic Plan to shape, guide and manage the Syracuse University campus environment and its physical form in support of the University’s mission.

When asked by faculty what the next step is, the Chancellor said: “I am going to look at this specific project, confer with Pete [Sala] and with the Board, and advocate with the full Board for the decision I think is best.”

Syverud is good.

This plan is in cohoots with the Dome reno. Faculty members are agenda driven and self-centered.

This plan is in cohoots with the Dome reno. Faculty members are agenda driven and self-centered.

I'm not seeing how this project is linked to the Dome.

Cornell did this a few years ago. It's p-envy.

sick of spoiled faculty members that feel entitled to a say in all matters.to many ivory tower people with no real world experience. i like the promenade plan.