OK all you armchair coaches give me your take on SU-Wisconsin | Syracusefan.com

OK all you armchair coaches give me your take on SU-Wisconsin

Wisconsin is a hard team to evaluate. Because they play ugly it's hard to appreciate anything about their team. Sorry Wiscy, but it's true. Stall ball!

They're not the biggest team, they're two best rebounders are listed at 6'6" - which means we shouldn't get dominated on the boards...

Who knows, if we come out and play like we did in the second half against KState, hitting open threes, focusing on getting to the rim I imagine we should be fine. Due to their style of play the game will be close though - probably comes down to whichever team plays the best down the stretch. If we can avoid turning the ball over, they don't turn it over much themselves, we should take it and JB will get his first victory against the B10 in the tourney.

We are so much quicker and athletic than this team. If things dont go our way early i would press them the entire game. They hate up tempo games do everything in their power to slow it down and play half court ball. We should do everything in our power to press them. I would be on them the full 90 all game long. My sense is we may see MCW this game. Key as it was against KSU is to take the ball to the rack do not settle for jump shots cram the ball down their throats and we win going away

I really think we are a matchup problem for them. Here is why.

They run a 4 out and 1 in offense. Sometimes in the Vandy game they actually had all 5 guys outside the arc. They live and die by the 3 and that is what they will continue to do. They have a couple of bigs that are capable of making 3 point shots however they are not as talented as past Wisky big men. They really do not pose a threat to us inside and do not have teh Jack Cooley/Yancey Gates type of player who has hurt us in games this season.

Vandy played them mostly man and that hurt them because it drew their big away from the basket and they had issues giving up key offensive rebounds in the second half. Our zone will be a challenge for them because we will not have to bring our bigs out to guard. We just need to do a good job of contesting their shooters. They also take very good care of the ball and we will have a hard time forcing a lot of turnovers.

One stat that is important to look at is FG%. Wisky is not a good shooting team as they shoot 42% from the field. Vandy shot almost 47% from the floor. This is one reason I was rooting for Bo's boys last night,

I think we will be able to once again take the ball to the basket against this team but will certainly need to make shots. Jordan Taylor can be phenomenal and he can be very average. I am hoping our guards make him look average.

Wisconsin is a pretty good team from a very good league. In the last 2-1/2 months, other than a 1 point loss on the road to Iowa, the only other teams they have lost to are MSU and OSU. They've beaten IU and Purdue twice each. They shoot more threes than just about anybody else in the country so we will have to extend the zone as much as possible although they are not a spectacular three point shooting team. They are also one of the best FT shooting teams in the country. They are also a tough defensive team. This is going to be a serious test.

I really think we are a matchup problem for them. Here is why.

They run a 4 out and 1 in offense. Sometimes in the Vandy game they actually had all 5 guys outside the arc. They live and die by the 3 and that is what they will continue to do. They have a couple of bigs that are capable of making 3 point shots however they are not as talented as past Wisky big men. They really do not pose a threat to us inside and do not have teh Jack Cooley/Yancey Gates type of player who has hurt us in games this season.

Vandy played them mostly man and that hurt them because it drew their big away from the basket and they had issues giving up key offensive rebounds in the second half. Our zone will be a challenge for them because we will not have to bring our bigs out to guard. We just need to do a good job of contesting their shooters. They also take very good care of the ball and we will have a hard time forcing a lot of turnovers.

One stat that is important to look at is FG%. Wisky is not a good shooting team as they shoot 42% from the field. Vandy shot almost 47% from the floor. This is one reason I was rooting for Bo's boys last night,

I think we will be able to once again take the ball to the basket against this team but will certainly need to make shots. Jordan Taylor can be phenomenal and he can be very average. I am hoping our guards make him look average.

One reason they shoot 42% is because they chuck up about 24 3s a game.

Wisconsin is a pretty good team from a very good league. In the last 2-1/2 months, other than a 1 point loss on the road to Iowa, the only other teams they have lost to are MSU and OSU. They've beaten IU and Purdue twice each. They shoot more threes than just about anybody else in the country so we will have to extend the zone as much as possible although they are not a spectacular three point shooting team. They are also one of the best FT shooting teams in the country. They are also a tough defensive team. This is going to be a serious test.

They lost to Iowa twice, no? That just seems off.

Interesting question. Overall, they average 64 ppg, which would be good except that SU averages about the same w/o Fabless.

They have 5+ guys hitting above 35% on 3s. Not good.

Think Jordan Taylor is overrated. He didn't look strong against Vandy. Has Dionitis on bad nights.

Wisc is more athletic than most assume.

I think the zone may pose problems for them, but they have 6'6" Ryan Evans who looks prefect for making plays from of the FT line.

Doesn't seem like a team who will get our bigs in foul trouble.

Dion could have a career night against them.

They lost to Iowa twice, no? That just seems off.

They had a three game losing streak in early January. After that they were pretty solid. Most teams have a bad loss or two. The fact they swept IU and Purdue offsets the two Iowa losses imo.

Superior offensive line and an excellent run game. Above average quarterback play. Stout defense. Oh wait, you meant basketball?...

Fundamentally sound both offensively and defensively. Conservative on offense, generally shoot well and few turnovers. Solid face-up man-to-man defense.

Isn't amazing how consistently good Wisconsin is in both major college sports? It is almost like they churn out the same team year after year. Same players just different numbers.

If the Kansas State second half team shows up, we play Saturday. If not, it's a ballgame.

i expect JB to rope-a-dope wiscy into thinking theyve won, until the last 3 mins where he throws that speedball by em.

there will be some maddening moments, but then again.....what SU game isnt like that??

at the end of the day, he will out coach Bo Duke, or Luke Duke or....whatever

Oh Lord

The thing about Wisconsin is that although they shoot a horrible 42% from the field compared to our 46 or 47%, they only average 0.04 fewer points per shot than we do because over 1/3 of their offense comes from 3 pointers, whereas less than 1/4 of ours comes from 3's. Also, the fact that they just bomb away from 3 point range means long rebounds which means a lot of offensive rebounds for them is likely because long rebounds is what we REALLY struggle with since our guards leak out so much. They also play a very good man defense, we're by far the more athletic team so I would expect that they'll be trying to sag off on us a little to try to keep us in front of them and turn us into jumpshooters. I'd like to see Boeheim throw the press at them a little bit here and there since they desperately try to keep games in the 40s and 50s.

If they shoot around their season average of 36% from downtown, I think it will be a tight game. However, if Scoop pushes the tempo on offense like he did against K State, and we attack the interior the way we did against UNCA in the 2nd half and K State for the majority of the game, I think we'll win this one by 6ish.

Before the tournament someone posted a question about the teams we'd least like to see.
Besides the other #1 seeds and Ohio State...Wisconsin is it.

They're a tough matchup for us.
They creep on offense...shoot the 3 well (Gasser is over 45%)...defend very well...rebound decently because
they block out...can bang...shoot free throws well and have an All-American point guard who almost never turns the ball over.
The only thing they don't do well is run.

We have to avoid the temptation to try to force a fast pace.
Avoid the forced passes that our guys sometimes get in the habit of making.
If we defend the 3 and take the game to them out of the halfcourt set we'll be ok.
The 2-3 should cause them some trouble.
But this figures to be a very difficult match-up.