OK, enough with the nice-eties. | Syracusefan.com

OK, enough with the nice-eties.

TigerTown

Walk On
Keys to the game IMO:

1) Clemson OL v your DL - if you can get pressure/stop the run w/o committing the safeties...huge in stopping our O right now as limited running game can only be helped if Stout has time to make his reads and throws.
2) Cuse WRs v Clemson DBs - if they can't get free against our corners, we'll bottle up about everything else.

Keys to the game IMO:

1) Clemson OL v your DL - if you can get pressure/stop the run w/o committing the safeties...huge in stopping our O right now as limited running game can only be helped if Stout has time to make his reads and throws.
2) Cuse WRs v Clemson DBs - if they can't get free against our corners, we'll bottle up about everything else.

I haven't watched enough of Clemson this year. How would you rate your corners?

They've done well, and they're good - but you have to attack something. We did get burned on some wheel routes last weekend (that's more on the safeties)...so that will be there (not that they aren't working on the safeties/LBs reading their keys better) as something I'm sure you'll try and put pressure on. But again, if we can disrupt your passing game with just man on the outside...free's up Venables to get really creative on blitz and contain packages for your running game and protection schemes.

Keys to the game IMO:

Those points seem legit to me.

How have you guys fared with mobile QBS?

We are going to bring the house on D and make Stout beats us. If Clemson picks that up and Stoudt gets the ball out quickly and accurately, it's going to be a long night for us.

On the Syracuse side -

Stoudt vs Syracuse pressure - I'm not proud of this, but we injure a lot of quarterbacks. It's not merciful. If Stoudt can't move around, he's going to get crunched a few times. He may get knocked out of the game. If he does, Syracuse can win this.

Syracuse Oline vs themselves - We play like idiots and sabotage a lot of our drives. If we don't play like idiots, maybe we can move the ball.

Shafer vs Dabo - F*** you, Dabo

On the Syracuse side -

Stoudt vs Syracuse pressure - I'm not proud of this, but we injure a lot of quarterbacks. It's not merciful. If Stoudt can't move around, he's going to get crunched a few times. He may get knocked out of the game. If he does, Syracuse can win this.

Syracuse Oline vs themselves - We play like idiots and sabotage a lot of our drives. If we don't play like idiots, maybe we can move the ball.

Shafer vs Dabo - F*** you, Dabo

I don't know enough about your DL, but we've faced some pretty good ones to date - maybe yours is better. That said, they're not better than what our OL gets in practice. Our OL is limited now though, think we had a few games where we literally played just 5. I know we get one back from injury, and coaches have said another (RS Frosh) has shown enough they trust to put him in (highly rated recruit). No doubt, and as I said...if your corners can hold up to give you all a chance to disrupt (as we don't have much of a running game), you can maybe keep the score down.

Not sure you can say your OL v themselves, we have arguably (maybe not arguably) the best DL in football this year. Your OL is going to give up sacks and negative plays...don't think we've knocked out a QB...but anyone in our opponent backfield not named Gurley hasn't had a good day. All that said, gotta' play the game...

As for Dabo v Shafer - maybe a homer pick, but Shafer hasn't shown me anything yet...Dabo has put together a heck'uva staff. Maybe we'll just take a knee in the first half this year, that should make Shafer happy...:noidea:

They've done well, and they're good - but you have to attack something. We did get burned on some wheel routes last weekend (that's more on the safeties)...so that will be there (not that they aren't working on the safeties/LBs reading their keys better) as something I'm sure you'll try and put pressure on. But again, if we can disrupt your passing game with just man on the outside...free's up Venables to get really creative on blitz and contain packages for your running game and protection schemes.
If you got burned on wheel routes, which typically take some time to develop, then it sounds like you all weren't getting much pressure on the QB.

If you got burned on wheel routes, which typically take some time to develop, then it sounds like you all weren't getting much pressure on the QB.

That's not totally true, wheel route can be run a bunch of ways...could basically be thrown out to the flat fairly quickly (not saying that's the case w/ what happened at BC on the 2 plays I'm thinking of).

We're 4th in the country in sacks and 2nd in TFL...so far we've gotten pressure.

That's not totally true, wheel route can be run a bunch of ways...could basically be thrown out to the flat fairly quickly (not saying that's the case w/ what happened at BC on the 2 plays I'm thinking of).

We're 4th in the country in sacks and 2nd in TFL...so far we've gotten pressure.

How are Clemson's special teams? Syracuse's are kinda lame. We have a capable punter and have a FG kicker now but both the PR and KR teams are weak and we never kick the ball in the endzone on a kick off.

FG kicking below avg (but seemingly improving), punt and kick returns very much below avg. Haven't hurt ourselves but not helping at all either.

Punting (and coverage) is good and kickoffs are excellent...most touchbacks and those not very good coverage (likely jinxed the fool out of ourselves now).

How are Clemson's special teams? Syracuse's are kinda lame. We have a capable punter and have a FG kicker now but both the PR and KR teams are weak and we never kick the ball in the endzone on a kick off.
Did you just refer to Riley Dixon as being merely "capable"?

He's all of the Avengers rolled into one! How dare you!?

No but seriously I would say he's legit one of the 10-ish best punters in the country. And he would look cool in an Iron Man suit.

I don't know enough about your DL, but we've faced some pretty good ones to date - maybe yours is better. That said, they're not better than what our OL gets in practice. Our OL is limited now though, think we had a few games where we literally played just 5. I know we get one back from injury, and coaches have said another (RS Frosh) has shown enough they trust to put him in (highly rated recruit). No doubt, and as I said...if your corners can hold up to give you all a chance to disrupt (as we don't have much of a running game), you can maybe keep the score down.

Not sure you can say your OL v themselves, we have arguably (maybe not arguably) the best DL in football this year. Your OL is going to give up sacks and negative plays...don't think we've knocked out a QB...but anyone in our opponent backfield not named Gurley hasn't had a good day. All that said, gotta' play the game...

As for Dabo v Shafer - maybe a homer pick, but Shafer hasn't shown me anything yet...Dabo has put together a heck'uva staff. Maybe we'll just take a knee in the first half this year, that should make Shafer happy...:noidea:
It's not really that the DL gets pressure. It's the quantity of blitzes and how often we find ways for our lbs to get a clear bead on the quarterback.

FG kicking below avg (but seemingly improving), punt and kick returns very much below avg. Haven't hurt ourselves but not helping at all either.

Punting (and coverage) is good and kickoffs are excellent...most touchbacks and those not very good coverage (likely jinxed the fool out of ourselves now).
Thanks. And yes I always think about jinxing my team when I say good things about them.

Our o line doesn't give up sacks. Obviously Clemson is a different beast and we may be short out center and right tackle.

It's not really that the DL gets pressure. It's the quantity of blitzes and how often we find ways for our lbs to get a clear bead on the quarterback.

Blitzing teams have struggled against us. FSU, UGa, and Lvl did best by being able to hold up the line w/ just 4 or 5...thus allowing back 6-7 to zone and keep everything in front of them. Blitz, and with the kids we've recruited and have at WR in paraticular...one miss and you're done. The offense just doesn't really give the time to get to the QB. When folks have sacked us, I think most are coverage sacks...

Blitzing teams have struggled against us. FSU, UGa, and Lvl did best by being able to hold up the line w/ just 4 or 5...thus allowing back 6-7 to zone and keep everything in front of them. Blitz, and with the kids we've recruited and have at WR in paraticular...one miss and you're done. The offense just doesn't really give the time to get to the QB. When folks have sacked us, I think most are coverage sacks...
For Stoudt's sake, I hope you're right.

Our o line doesn't give up sacks. Obviously Clemson is a different beast and we may be short out center and right tackle.
I'll walk away highly impressed if we don't have multiple sacks/TFL on Saturday. It's just come to be expected from this team that we're going to wreak havoc in the opposing team's backfield. It does leave us vulnerable to the short passing game as you saw against UNC... but if you don't have the talent to execute it, it won't do any good as you saw against NC State.

As for the guy who asked about special teams above, I'd say our kick-off guy/punter are good but coverage is shaky. Our KR unit is garbage. Our PR is decent but we typically play very conservative there because of the faith we have in our offense. That may change now that our offense doesn't warrant much faith.

Our FG kicker has been good of late but I have no confidence in his if he has to kick a game-winner.

TigerTown said:

Yeah - we learned some of that last game. But it's in our DNA. I'd bet you'll see some pretty exotic blitz packages. I don't think Shafer liked Morris burning us a bunch when we over pursued or were too aggressive. That will be remedied somehow - but I doubt we'll lay off the blitz.

CUTater said:
I'll walk away highly impressed if we don't have multiple sacks/TFL on Saturday. It's just come to be expected from this team that we're going to wreak havoc in the opposing team's backfield. It does leave us vulnerable to the short passing game as you saw against UNC... but if you don't have the talent to execute it, it won't do any good as you saw against NC State. As for the guy who asked about special teams above, I'd say our kick-off guy/punter are good but coverage is shaky. Our KR unit is garbage. Our PR is decent but we typically play very conservative there because of the faith we have in our offense. That may change now that our offense doesn't warrant much faith. Our FG kicker has been good of late but I have no confidence in his if he has to kick a game-winner.

Our short passing game is improving with our new QB and new OC. The QB, AJ Long is a shifty, quick guy who passes better when moving. Should help some... Though I'd bet he get sacked more than once with your DL.

Wakes's corners are probably as good, if not better, than yours. They tried the same thing and couldn't cover either Ishmael or West.

I would guess you are going to see a lot of the quick game, roll outs, swing passes and a variety of other methods to attack your LB's.

I think we will also see a lot of things not on film.

Might be the first game of the year that BOTH teams kicking off would want the returners to run the ball back.

If SU/Long can hit multiple receivers WR/TE/RB with passes to the open player it could open things up a bit. Clemson will get their TFL and the key is to keep that to a minimum, at times when it least hurts the SU Offense and doesn't cause a turnover. Curious to see how or if Beasly gets into Longs head. Clemson might just contain Long into the pocket and force him to see over the big guys in front. Block.

Defensively SU has to keep Stoudt guessing and confused with different looks. Can not give him open looks where he simply passes to where the blitzer was. Cover the bubble screen well and don't give Clemson 5 to 7 yards of cushion per receiver. Tackle.

No stupid penalties and don't let the Clemson DL pin their ears back.

Wake has 1 corner who would be in our rotation of corners, but don't kid yourself. ..you will need to play much better than you did v wake to compete Saturday.

Wakes's corners are probably as good, if not better, than yours. They tried the same thing and couldn't cover either Ishmael or West.

I would guess you are going to see a lot of the quick game, roll outs, swing passes and a variety of other methods to attack your LB's.

I think we will also see a lot of things not on film.

Wake does have good corners but both are seniors. We're starting a freshman on one side so the experience isn't there. Both of ours have played great at times this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom