OK I'm just gonna say it | Syracusefan.com

OK I'm just gonna say it

GooseMutt

All Conference
The players look totally up tight out there afraid to make a mistake. It's walking on egg shells with Boeheim. No one will ever be perfect and these players are not allowed to make mistakes. As soon as they do they glance to the bench to see if replacement is up. It's impossible to play with that kind of pressure and can't find your groove. With 9 deep everyone is expendable in Boeheims eyes if they don't immediately perform. I can see yelling at them but this " I'm gonna get pulled if I screw up mentality " is very inhibiting. Last year they played on after mistakes cause bench was thin. jMHO

I agree, for the most part. JB is tinkering right now. Hopefully, he'll settle on his 7.5 guys in the next couple weeks which should allow them to play a little looser. Chemistry is a big issue right now, and players getting more clearly defined roles and playing in consistent rotations should help that a lot.

Battle seemed to do that after someone threw a terrible outlet pass out of bounds. Cringe-worthy, he felt the need to look nervously at the bench because someone else made a mistake.

Let's refine that comment. It does not apply to Lydon or White, who know they will get 35 minutes in tight games. Or to Coleman who must be used to his role, or to Roberson as a senior who is used to JB. And probably not to Chukwu -- playing tight is not be his issue.

So, is the development of Howard, Battle & Thompson being inhibited by JB's style? Or Gillon? JB has an intense and demanding coaching style, no doubt.

Let's refine that comment. It does not apply to Lydon or White, who know they will get 35 minutes in tight games. Or to Coleman who must be used to his role, or to Roberson as a senior who is used to JB. And probably not to Chukwu -- playing tight is not be his issue.

So, is the development of Howard, Battle & Thompson being inhibited by JB's style? Or Gillon? JB has an intense and demanding coaching style, no doubt.

I don't think it will hurt their development. They should eventually learn that playing tight is what's costing them minutes. The first player to say 'F it' and just play basketball (and play defense) will be the first to see more court time.

Battle seemed to do that after someone threw a terrible outlet pass out of bounds. Cringe-worthy, he felt the need to look nervously at the bench because someone else made a mistake.
then JB should've pulled and benched his arse for that weak arse thought.

if Battle, who cant get out of his own way, is worried about other people...

WE.

ARE.

DOOMED!!!

I don't know...I expected coach to be busting a nut on the sideline given our play recently but he is relatively mild mannered for the most part...not as much screaming and arm flaling as I would normally expect. Kids just need to go out and play all out for each other.

I think JB has been surprisingly calm during the last two games. I think all of the guys are playing too loose. Value possessions and the ball. Don't freelance on either end. Do your job.

I don't know...I expected coach to be busting a nut on the sideline given our play recently but he is relatively mild mannered for the most part...not as much screaming and arm flaling as I would normally expect. Kids just need to go out and play all out for each other.
I haven't seen JB rip into the 2 grad transfers at all. It's as if they are in a protected class.

Not really buying the premise.

Not a major factor anyway.

New parts trying to learn where they fit? Check.

Shaky PG and post play? Check.

Out toughed on boards? Check.

Primitive half-court schemes by coaching staff? Check again.

This issue? Minor at best.

I agree, for the most part. JB is tinkering right now. Hopefully, he'll settle on his 7.5 guys in the next couple weeks which should allow them to play a little looser. Chemistry is a big issue right now, and players getting more clearly defined roles and playing in consistent rotations should help that a lot.

^^Somebody gets it.

This team has 0 excuse not to just run cuts to the lane and backdoor oops to Roberson/Coleman/Lydon/Thompson, and rain threes when the defense collapses on it. We have length and perimeter shooting. We CAN be great. I'm not worried. Roberson will figure it out. Kid gets higher to the rim than anyone on the court.

I haven't seen JB rip into the 2 grad transfers at all. It's as if they are in a protected class.
You must have missed the game where he absolutely tore into Gillon and Gillon responded by sulking on the end of the bench and standing outside the next time out huddle. Gillon later reentered the game and played several minutes. I think there was a separate thread about this but I'm not going to bother looking for it.

This isn't a 7.5 deep team. Sure, maybe PC doesn't get much run once we get into ACC play - but who else do we take out of the rotation? I'd argue TT has a more defined role than Battle right now. Gillon has to play because Frank won't play 40 minutes. So are we talking about not playing Battle??

His biggest tirade all season so far was at gillon. He went off on him hard at home a couple weeks ago.
Coincidence that his play seems to have fallen off a cliff since then? A coach needs to realize that yelling and berating isn't the best approach for every player, especially a grad transfer who doesn't have the luxury of time. We don't have 4 years to see the gilly-JB story play out.

Coincidence that his play seems to have fallen off a cliff since then? A coach needs to realize that yelling and berating isn't the best approach for every player, especially a grad transfer who doesn't have the luxury of time. We don't have 4 years to see the gilly-JB story play out.
Gillon is a fifth year player who willingly chose to come to SU and play for a high-profile Hall of Fame coach. If anything JB says or does comes as a surprise to him, he didn't do his homework. If he can't handle JB's coaching, he made a poor choice of schools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom