Oklahoma 2009 vs Indiana 2013. | Syracusefan.com

Oklahoma 2009 vs Indiana 2013.

strumpfasaurus

2nd String
So far this season and the 08-09 season look fairly similiar. Both had fairly easy runs to the sweet 16, Louisville was the overall number 1 seed, and we both finished 11-7 in the Big East after losing to Louisville in the BET after being ahead at halftime. in 09 we me Oklahoma who imo was the second best team behind UNC they just got shafted and got steam rolled. This year we meet Indiana a one seed (unless a crazy upset happens) after a fairly easy run to the sweet 16. I personally think Oklahoma was a far worse match up for us. As talented as Zellar and Oladipo are Blake Griffin was a freak of nature.

We didnt have pieces for our zone in 2009.

Flynn and Harris - while great m2m defenders are almost the opposite of what JB needs.

And devo...

This year we have height, length, athleticism, and experience. A great recipe for a zone.

So far this season and the 08-09 season look fairly similiar. Both had fairly easy runs to the sweet 16, Louisville was the overall number 1 seed, and we both finished 11-7 in the Big East after losing to Louisville in the BET after being ahead at halftime. in 09 we me Oklahoma who imo was the second best team behind UNC they just got shafted and got steam rolled. This year we meet Indiana a one seed (unless a crazy upset happens) after a fairly easy run to the sweet 16. I personally think Oklahoma was a far worse match up for us. As talented as Zellar and Oladipo are Blake Griffin was a freak of nature.

I agree - lots of similarities between the 2009 and 2013 seasons. I think the biggest difference is that the 2009 team was so soft defensively but could really score, whereas the 2013 is the exact opposite.

Beside Blake Griffin they had a guard who had the game of his life vs. Cuse. Shocking I know.

I don't see anyone resembling a freak of nature that is Blake Griffin.. I think Syracuse and Indiana is a pretty even match up.

We didnt have pieces for our zone in 2009.

Flynn and Harris - while great m2m defenders are almost the opposite of what JB needs.

And devo...

This year we have height, length, athleticism, and experience. A great recipe for a zone.
Yeah that 2009 team is basically the antithesis of this years team. That team was fun to watch, explosive, high scoring, but fatally flawed on D. This team is hideous offensively but plays great D. But...I fear at some point our lack of offensive output is going to be our fatal flaw.

Yeah that 2009 team is basically the antithesis of this years team. That team was fun to watch, explosive, high scoring, but fatally flawed on D. This team is hideous offensively but plays great D. But...I fear at some point our lack of offensive output is going to be our fatal flaw.
Our offense may be inconsistent at times but we also rebound our misses extremely well. This is often overlooked .

I still have nightmares about Blake Griffin. He's not real is he?

Ugh I still have nightmares about Tony Crocker. Guy goes 6-11 from three point range and scores 28 points. Next game he goes 0-5 and scores 4 points. Pulled a Mopa-Njilla.

Ugh I still have nightmares about Tony Crocker. Guy goes 6-11 from three point range and scores 28 points. Next game he goes 0-5 and scores 4 points. Pulled a Mopa-Njilla.
Yea he had the game of his life. I remember hearing about OU's guards being weak that season, not that game.

I still have nightmares about Blake Griffin. He's not real is he?

Is it irrational that to THIS DAY I still hate Blake Griffin for what he did to us in 09'?

That and I think that he's an idiot for banging his head on the side of the backboard during a dunk attempt in said game.

Our offense may be inconsistent at times but we also rebound our misses extremely well. This is often overlooked .

That is only useful if you can eventually put one of those rebounded misses in the hoop, this team often seems to just keep missing.

Is it irrational that to THIS DAY I still hate Blake Griffin for what he did to us in 09'?

That and I think that he's an idiot for banging his head on the side of the backboard during a dunk attempt in said game.
Not irrational. I still feel the same way.

I liked the 2009 team, but they never had a feel of a Final 4 team. They couldn't play defense, and the field was absolutely loaded that year; Oklahoma, UNC, MSU, UConn, Villanova, Pitt all had really good teams, arguably better than any team in the field this year other than Ville.

In 2009 we had to win by outscoring teams, which is hard to do in a tournament setting, this year we win by playing defense.

I don't see anyone resembling a freak of nature that is Blake Griffin.. I think Syracuse and Indiana is a pretty even match up.

Zeller's nose is a freak of nature.

Kidding! Well, sort of...

I liked the 2009 team, but they never had a feel of a Final 4 team. They couldn't play defense, and the field was absolutely loaded that year; Oklahoma, UNC, MSU, UConn, Villanova, Pitt all had really good teams, arguably better than any team in the field this year other than Ville.

In 2009 we had to win by outscoring teams, which is hard to do in a tournament setting, this year we win by playing defense.
I think you need to be able to do both. In 2003 we beat 2 #1 seeds in consecutive games 63-47 and 95-84. You are right it's hard to just outscore teams but its also hard to win 58-55 rock fights every night.

2009 was really the only year I've ever questioned JB about his use of the zone. That team was built for m2m. And it even worked in the Kansas game earlier that season. The zone was just horrendous. The 2009 team would give up 100 points to this Indiana team.

But everyone knew he was going to get his stats against us. We lost because we couldn't hit anything and Tony Crocker hit EVERYTHING.

But Blake Griffin is probably not very smart and is overrated wrt to the NBA.

And if we lose, we'll wind up 28-10 just like that team did. Not a terrible record, by the way.

Beside Blake Griffin they had a guard who had the game of his life vs. Cuse. Shocking I know.

IIRC, a guy who had been ice cold going into the game.

That was really the last year that JB consistently let teams kill us from 3. He has extended the zone over the past few years. The only exception was the four game stretch in 2011 and the Wisconsin game last year. And I honestly believe those were statistical anomalies as much as they were defensive breakdowns.

I think after watching this team struggle mightily to score this season, but play good-to-great defense, I was thinking a sweet 16 berth was as good as it gets and I was fine with that. I still am. It's been a helluva season. BUT

After watching IU struggle against Temple, I think that SU has as good a chance as anyone of knocking off #1 Thursday night. Offensively, the Cal game is done and over, moving on. But SU hasn't had very many games where the defense hasn't shown up and defense wins championships. As long as James, Rak, and Keita don't foul out with 10 minutes to go - SU should be right in this one.

I expect Oladipo and Zeller to get theirs, but I think controlling Hulls & Watford is going to be key. Push out the zone and play smart. Win and advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom