Class of 2015 - OL Colin Byrne (FL) Signed LOI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OL Colin Byrne (FL) Signed LOI

Why do kids commit if they are not a 100% sure as this was his quote in an article with Syracuse paper:
Doing so with one of his friends would be an added bonus, though Byrne said he will continue to listen to other schools throughout the recruiting process, a point he made clear to McDonald.

"We don't plan to de-commit, but if there's a bigger fish or I go visit another school and I like it more, then we'll talk it over."
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb..._dumber_give_syracuse_football_package_d.html

Can we do the same if we find a bigger fish?

Dont know why people get upset when kids say things like this. We want the kids to be honest with the staff.

I am certainly willing to bet that the staff has a second recruiting board listing each commit by how solid their are, ranging through the following degrees: A.J. Long, Solid, Semi-Solid/could be swayed by a particular offer, wavering, and decommitted.

The staff knows who is rock solid, who is pretty solid, and which kids are wavering. If they are told these statements up front, its much better than if they get blindsided by them late in the process with no contingency plans.

From the kid's perspective we always talk about kids who take too long/waver on the process and end up getting shut out of the inn when if they had decided sooner they would have a spot. It makes sense for a kid to commit to a school (especially a kid with only 1 offer) and secure his spot, his guarantee of a free education. If he gets offers from Alabama in 3 months, he can decommit from the original school and re-pledge elsewhere without much negative in his direction. Yet if the offer never comes, he has protected himself by securing his spot at the inn.

In other words, the kid is playing the game the right way. We just don't want to hear it done so blatantly.

You don't know why an SU fan would be upset with " if a bigger fish comes calling?" There is immaturity and there is core character. That is the quote of a kid that is NOT all in. Why wouldn't any normal follower of our program be less enthusiastic about this kid now?[/quote]

You don't know why an SU fan would be upset with " if a bigger fish comes calling?" There is immaturity and there is core character. That is the quote of a kid that is NOT all in. Why wouldn't any normal follower of our program be less enthusiastic about this kid now?
[/quote]
oh please. Core character? Come on.

Some SU fans are not delusional about Syracuse's place in the college football landscape. Like it or not, Syracuse is not a "big fish" relative to many of the Power 5 conferences. These kids are 16, 17 and for the bulk of their lives Syracuse football has ranged from laughingstock to decidedly mediocre.

You can quibble with the kid saying it to the local paper. I agree it doesn't sound good. But I respect the facts that, as the article makes clear, he was up front about that to McDonald. The vast, vast majority of these kids feel the same way as Byrne, they just don't say it. Funny how the fanbase doesn't start questioning a kid's "core character" when the kid decommits from some midmajor when Syracuse comes calling. Even more than that, Syracuse fans (rightly) expect a kid committed to a midmajor to flip when Syracuse comes calling, because that is the way the game is typically played.

Syracuse didn't have to take his commitment if they were not happy with his openness to other schools, but they did.

Well I much prefer a kid being upfront and honest about this than the one that commits but knows if that one particular school offers he will decommit in a heartbeat. The one that lies about why he isn't showing up to a function with the other commits. That lies to the other commits who think he is a friend and is as committed as they are.

To me this is no different than getting a job offer and accepting it but you haven't signed the contract yet. If another company comes along and offers you are telling me you wouldn't at least look at the offer and consider the opportunity?

How the heck do you know he was up front with McDonald about it. Were you on the conference call? This could be as much a surprise to him as it is to anybody.

How the heck do you know he was up front with McDonald about it. Were you on the conference call? This could be as much a surprise to him as it is to anybody.

From the article...

"Doing so with one of his friends would be an added bonus, though Byrne said he will continue to listen to other schools throughout the recruiting process, a point he made clear to McDonald."

The PS asked the same question of KJ Williams in their initial commitment article about him (which I fundamentally disagree with the hometown paper doing when you're breaking a commitment story), and he said something similar, was a Rivals 250 recruit and far more heavily recruited that this kid, and still signed on the dotted line in February.

Much ado about nothing. The staff are adults and in the probably small event that he did decommit, I'm sure the staff has contingency plans.

The PS asked the same question of KJ Williams in their initial commitment article about him (which I fundamentally disagree with the hometown paper doing when you're breaking a commitment story), and he said something similar, was a Rivals 250 recruit and far more heavily recruited that this kid, and still signed on the dotted line in February.

Much ado about nothing. The staff are adults and in the probably small event that he did decommit, I'm sure the staff has contingency plans.

Regarding that quote from KJ... i talked to some people who said despite what was written there was never much worry of KJ looking around. They made it seem like the quote was either re worded, or he was led into the answer. I wouldn't be too worried with what the PS says.

If I had to choose between going to a bigger fish school or being the next Justin Pugh... it's a toughy. :cool:

If I had to choose between going to a bigger fish school or being the next Justin Pugh... it's a toughy. :cool:

You say that like big fish schools don't put guys in the NFL...

Since I brought up the Alabama thing earlier since they would likely be considered the biggest fish in the sea at this point in time.

Would you rather be the next Chance Warmack/Cyrus Koundjio, guys who won multiple titles and are in the league as high picks or the next Justin Pugh a guy whos in the league as a high pick?

Because you know thats the pitch they would use.

Don't get me wrong, being the next Pugh at Syracuse is much better than being the next guy never to get off the bench at Bama, but who knows.

You say that like big fish schools don't put guys in the NFL...

Since I brought up the Alabama thing earlier since they would likely be considered the biggest fish in the sea at this point in time.

Would you rather be the next Chance Warmack/Cyrus Koundjio, guys who won multiple titles and are in the league as high picks or the next Justin Pugh a guy whos in the league as a high pick?

Because you know thats the pitch they would use.

Don't get me wrong, being the next Pugh at Syracuse is much better than being the next guy never to get off the bench at Bama, but who knows.

I'd be willing to bet that Chance Warmack and Cyrus Koundijio were 4 or 5 star prospects.

Justin Pugh and Colin Byrne were/are not.

I'd be willing to bet that Chance Warmack and Cyrus Koundijio were 4 or 5 star prospects.

No that they are not. But if Byrne suddenly receives a Bama offer, I'd be the probably becomes one...

Cyrus was the number 1 ranked recruit for linemen the year he graduated from HS .. his brother also played at Bama and wasn't too shabby.

BpH92BSCEAIANhJ.jpg:large

What an awesome program and glad we are making progress recruiting FL again...

My opinion on this is that you take all your A list kids and see how it falls by February. Keep recruiting hard and you never have too many quality linemen.

Colin James Byrne‏@Colin_Byrne77 13m
Out here in Cincinnati bout to tear it up

David Simone‏@DavidNSimone 10m
Multiple committed players to ACC schools are camping at UC today

You know thats an interesting thing. I have noticed alot of kids wont attend the camps of schools they have been talking to. Alot of them go to camps at schools they have no interest in or have a no offer but want one from that school. I think alot of kids think if they go to camp and dont perform well they will lose their shot. I think if they go it shows they arent afraid of how they will do.

You know thats an interesting thing. I have noticed alot of kids wont attend the camps of schools they have been talking to. Alot of them go to camps at schools they have no interest in or have a no offer but want one from that school. I think alot of kids think if they go to camp and dont perform well they will lose their shot. I think if they go it shows they arent afraid of how they will do.

I agree I would think you would want to camp at schools you are talking with to get a feel for coaches and also maybe get some tips on how they would like to see you improve and in what areas. That seems like a good benefit to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom