Class of 2015 - OLB Sawyer Dawson (FL) Verbals to Purdue | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Sawyer Dawson (FL) Verbals to Purdue

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 20h
Heard from LB Sawyer Dawson this morning. Said he really enjoyed his Purdue visit. Expects to make a decision in the next few weeks.

Time to close with this kid.

Time to close with this kid.

Unless he commits today or tomorrow I am not sure with the Dead Period and staff taking vacation that there will be anyone to commit to until after 7/14.

Unless he commits today or tomorrow I am not sure with the Dead Period and staff taking vacation that there will be anyone to commit to until after 7/14.
I was thinking the same thing I shod have said close NOW! But yeah, we may have to wait until mid July for the next boom

Maybe we backed off? Hey, it works for Toad.

I'd like to see an interview with him first before I pass judgment, we may very well have backed off considering how quickly our class is filling up and that we have some high priority targets still out there and yet to visit.

Maybe he wants to major in engineering.
Or maybe he likes ugly girls. You just never know.
purdue.jpeg

The way we filled the class, the excitement around the visits/early commits and our program in general, there is no way he had a free and clear offer or he would be Orange. There are bigger fish out there and SU seems to think we have a shot or at least take a risk.

Seems like another great kid, Purdue is a good school, congrats to him and his family. Pressure is off and he can play hard for his senior season.

Lastly, don't think we can't go after him before NSD if we miss on our top few... I may have Orange colored glasses as most on here, but it sure felt like he wanted to join the family bad.

My two cents...

The way we filled the class, the excitement around the visits/early commits and our program in general, there is no way he had a free and clear offer or he would be Orange. There are bigger fish out there and SU seems to think we have a shot or at least take a risk.

Seems like another great kid, Purdue is a good school, congrats to him and his family. Pressure is off and he can play hard for his senior season.

Lastly, don't think we can't go after him before NSD if we miss on our top few... I may have Orange colored glasses as most on here, but it sure felt like he wanted to join the family bad.

My two cents...

I disagree. We wanted him. This has nothing to do with us backing off.

Does Purdue have a better engineering program than SU? I know they (Purdue) have a very good one and I suppose it depends on what field he is going into.

I majored in Engineering, went to SU, now making big $$$$

My son will start in the Aerospace Engineering program at SU in August and also hopes to make big $$$$. Please PM me if you have any suggestions for him.

My son will start in the Aerospace Engineering program at SU in August and also hopes to make big $$$$. Please PM me if you have any suggestions for him.

I could have done SO MUCH more academically speaking in my time at SU. This would be the advice I give my son.

1) Study Hard, you only get out what you put in. SU gets paid whether you pass or fail, or go to class or dont go to class. Might as well make the most of it.

2) Tell him to join an engineering club related to his major i.e. SAE, robotics etc. Future success is based largely on relationships and who you know, not what you know. Go to conferences, conventions etc. Work with professors doing research etc.

3) This sounds terrible but, he should try to stick with keeping his inner circle a group of engineering friends. They have the same coarse/work load. He will feel the urge to blow off his studying if his buddies who are majoring in basketweaving are partying/drinking 5 nights a week.

4) Tell him to take the FE/EIT exam while he is still on the hill. I took mine last year after being out for 10+ years and was a wreck having to remember everything i learned in undergrad.

5) Find some time to have fun, blow off steam, but be responsible, and do it in moderation.

I work with guys who went to Cal-Tech, MIT, Cooper Union, NJIT, Purdue etc. The school you went to doesnt really mean ish unless you go to Ivy. We all ended up working at the same place, generally making the same money.

I work with guys who went to Cal-Tech, MIT, Cooper Union, NJIT, Purdue etc. The school you went to doesnt really mean ish unless you go to Ivy. We all ended up working at the same place, generally making the s[/quote]
I could have done SO MUCH more academically speaking in my time at SU. This would be the advice I give my son.

1) Study Hard, you only get out what you put in. SU gets paid whether you pass or fail, or go to class or dont go to class. Might as well make the most of it.

2) Tell him to join an engineering club related to his major i.e. SAE, robotics etc. Future success is based largely on relationships and who you know, not what you know. Go to conferences, conventions etc. Work with professors doing research etc.

3) This sounds terrible but, he should try to stick with keeping his inner circle a group of engineering friends. They have the same coarse/work load. He will feel the urge to blow off his studying if his buddies who are majoring in basketweaving are partying/drinking 5 nights a week.

4) Tell him to take the FE/EIT exam while he is still on the hill. I took mine last year after being out for 10+ years and was a wreck having to remember everything i learned in undergrad.

5) Find some time to have fun, blow off steam, but be responsible, and do it in moderation.

I work with guys who went to Cal-Tech, MIT, Cooper Union, NJIT, Purdue etc. The school you went to doesnt really mean ish unless you go to Ivy. We all ended up working at the same place, generally making the same money.

Appreciate all of the information. This will definitely help.