Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

Bam, your story about Shy reminds me so much of myself just a few years ago.

Except for me, it happened in our biggest rivals house, we just had beaten them in a hard fought match that went as far as you could go and I made the play that won the game for our team at the end. After our game we took some pictures with parents and for the papers and yadda yadda. It was the last game between our two teams as 'rivals' as they were changing classes and moving on. It was about half way through our season as well. When we had changed and collected our stuff and heading back through the gym to the buses it struck me just how important and how final a moment it was. At the time I had to assume that my playing days would end with my senior season as well, I never expected to get a chance to play at the next level.

I actually held up the buses for a few minutes as I had stopped in their gym thinking back to the many games I had played in their house over the years and the many memories I had that I would always take with me. I also had a mission to go out on top as sectional champions and as state champs. We ended our season with our schools first sectional title in any sport in 5 years, and ended up state runner ups, the best finish our school had ever achieved.

Like Shy I was lucky enough to have the chance to continue to play in college, but unlike Shy it wasn't D1 and it wasn't on a scholarship. Even so my opportunity was something I cherished and never considered an option to squander. I can only hope that Shy feels the same way and does everything he can to make the most of his experience at Syracuse.

Last edited:
Bam, your story about Shy reminds me so much of myself just a few years ago.

Except for me, it happened in our biggest rivals house, we just had beaten them in a hard fought match that went as far as you could go and I made the play that won the game for our team at the end. After our game we took some pictures with parents and for the papers and yadda yadda. It was the last game between our two teams as 'rivals' as they were changing classes and moving on. It was about half way through our season as well. When we had changed and collected our stuff and heading back through the gym to the buses it struck me just how important and how final a moment it was. At the time I had to assume that my playing days would end with my senior season as well, I never expected to get a chance to play at the next level.

I actually held up the buses for a few minutes as I had stopped in their gym thinking back to the many games I had played in their house over the years and the many memories I had that I would always take with me. I also had a mission to go out on top as sectional champions and as state champs. We ended our season with our schools first sectional title in any sport in 5 years, and ended up state runner ups, the best finish our school had ever achieved.

Like Shy I was lucky enough to have the chance to continue to play in college, but unlike Shy it wasn't D1 and it wasn't on a scholarship. Even so my opportunity was something I cherished and never considered an option to squander. I can only hope that Shy feels the same way and does everything he can to make the most of his experience at Syracuse.
It's strange I can remember being his age and people telling me stuff like it's the best days of your life or enjoy the moment... And I remember not doing any of it. I think it's easy to look back and realize how greats moment is but when you are in that moment it just goes by too quick. I try and tell him to look around at what's going on and I try and point out the things I see that he may be missing. I just hope he is paying attention to those things.

It's strange I can remember being his age and people telling me stuff like it's the best days of your life or enjoy the moment... And I remember not doing any of it. I think it's easy to look back and realize how greats moment is but when you are in that moment it just goes by too quick. I try and tell him to look around at what's going on and I try and point out the things I see that he may be missing. I just hope he is paying attention to those things.

You are definitely right it's so hard to appreciate the power of certain moments. Part of that is the fallacy of youth in that days will only get better, part of it as a young kid is not knowing what it's like to not play your favorite sport any more, because you can start when you are five and play through HS without ever having to take a year off, and then all of a sudden, you can never play again. Or at least if you do play in an adult league, it's fun, but it just isn't the same as being on a team with a coaching staff trying to help you get better and everyone ready to have your back.

It's hard to realize the greatness in those moments as a kid, and as you have to give those up as you age, that you truly realize how great you had it back then

Last nights game was one of those where you wish your kid played running back. Shy had around 165 yards with 3 touchdowns. He would have had a fourth 81 yard td run but was called back on a hold that I can't wait to see the film of. He again played around 85 percent of the snaps. Defensively he spent another night dropping back into coverage more than usual and the Billerica team was not going near him. He had 4 tackles that he had to run side line to sideline to make. Hopefully film will be up again this morning and highlights will follow. This coming week is the worst week of the year ... Bye week ... What am I going to do with myself? Then it's the biggest game of the regular season... Last years division one state champs central catholic. A private school that goes and gives football scholarships to area kids. My big pet peace in the miaa is high schools that have to play against schools that recruit... They take the best kids from area towns then you have to play them when you would have had those kids. Central beat lowell last year in the regular season in a really tight game that time managment cost lowell the game. Looking for revenge in 2 weeks... Then we come to the dome to watch cuse beat up fsu

Last nights game was one of those where you wish your kid played running back. Shy had around 165 yards with 3 touchdowns. He would have had a fourth 81 yard td run but was called back on a hold that I can't wait to see the film of. He again played around 85 percent of the snaps. Defensively he spent another night dropping back into coverage more than usual and the Billerica team was not going near him. He had 4 tackles that he had to run side line to sideline to make. Hopefully film will be up again this morning and highlights will follow. This coming week is the worst week of the year ... Bye week ... What am I going to do with myself? Then it's the biggest game of the regular season... Last years division one state champs central catholic. A private school that goes and gives football scholarships to area kids. My big pet peace in the miaa is high schools that have to play against schools that recruit... They take the best kids from area towns then you have to play them when you would have had those kids. Central beat lowell last year in the regular season in a really tight game that time managment cost lowell the game. Looking for revenge in 2 weeks... Then we come to the dome to watch cuse beat up fsu
Wait that sounds like CBA locally...

ByubNo7CIAA_2ux.jpg:large

Bambrewer said:
It's the little things in life that makes me happy. Shy's first quarter progress report came in all a's and B's !

Just as proud of that than his box scores :).

It's the little things in life that makes me happy. Shy's first quarter progress report came in all a's and B's !

Give shy props, but as a teacher, I see a lot of football players who start the first 5 weeks strong and then as the season goes on, the practices get a little longer, kids get a little more exhausted and grades start to slide pretty quickly.

So what I am saying is celebrate what he's accomplished, but don't let him get complacent, kind of like how you wouldn't let him slack off with his workouts just because he has a 3 sack game. Props, but the work is never done, or as Jerome Smith says, The Hay is Never in the Barn

Just got an email from shys coach asking if it was ok to send in some info requested for shy being nominated for the Gatorade player of the year in mass. I really want the espn mr football for shy but I guess if he won this too it would be ok. Lol.

Wish our coaching staff had those kind of grades with this team.

Just got an email from shys coach asking if it was ok to send in some info requested for shy being nominated for the Gatorade player of the year in mass. I really want the espn mr football for shy but I guess if he won this too it would be ok. Lol.
Who are his contenders for "Mr. football?" Can't imagine he has more than 2 or 3 guys to really fight for it against

Who are his contenders for "Mr. football?" Can't imagine he has more than 2 or 3 guys to really fight for it against
There is 4 kids who have made every weeks contender list. Nobody in espns top 10 made it more than 2 weeks besides shy. Shy has made all but 1 week. Mostly qb and 1 running back are the top contenders. Shy and 1 other kid play both sides of the ball. I'd say those are the top two but I'm not in charge of voting lol

There is 4 kids who have made every weeks contender list. Nobody in espns top 10 made it more than 2 weeks besides shy. Shy has made all but 1 week. Mostly qb and 1 running back are the top contenders. Shy and 1 other kid play both sides of the ball. I'd say those are the top two but I'm not in charge of voting lol

The only problem is that QB's always get additional love even if they don't deserve it purely because of the position they play.

Tell Shy to keep working hard, and the accolades will come

Just messaging with espn Boston's brandon hall... Said they will be broadcasting this weeks game at least on the web. So if you have sometime Friday night and want to see one of Shy's games against probably the toughest opponent they will face this year I will post the web address as soon as they give it to me