Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

I got the impression that Hendersen has the Swagger and Shy is the silent assassin.
henderson defiantly talks he gives shy a hard time about playing mass football... Says "do they even play football in mass" all the time to him. I kept telling shy what to say back and he wouldn't... He hasn't picked up my love for trash talk. He just says to me he will see... Hopefully they have another spot for him cause it would be a shame for him to have to wait for me to get tired before they let him on the field. He isn't allowed to talk trash on the field here so he just stares at players like Im coming to get you next. The last game this kid kept saying to him... Pssh syracuse you ain't playing d1 you ain't good enough... This in a game he scored 2 touchdowns an extra point with 205 yards 12 tackles and 2 sacks. But shy said nothing to him just kept his mouth shut.

henderson defiantly talks he gives shy a hard time about playing mass football... Says "do they even play football in mass" all the time to him. I kept telling shy what to say back and he wouldn't... He hasn't picked up my love for trash talk. He just says to me he will see... Hopefully they have another spot for him cause it would be a shame for him to have to wait for me to get tired before they let him on the field. He isn't allowed to talk trash on the field here so he just stares at players like Im coming to get you next. The last game this kid kept saying to him... Pssh syracuse you ain't playing d1 you ain't good enough... This in a game he scored 2 touchdowns an extra point with 205 yards 12 tackles and 2 sacks. But shy said nothing to him just kept his mouth shut.
As long as he doesn't take it personal

It's all good, that kid will be watching Shy on TV for the next four years, while he tells his friends how he played against Shy back in high school.

Shy's team won, correct?

Yeah they had a 10 yard dog fight in over time... Shy ran in the two point conversion for the win...Never personel always business... I told shy he shoulda told the kid have fun watching me play on tv when you get off your job flipping burgers to pay for your community college... I'll be the kid not good enough for d1 getting the free ride. But shy said he wasn't worth his time... Damn kid not sure where he gets his let it go attitude from... I'd have body slammed the kid

Yeah they had a 10 yard dog fight in over time... Shy ran in the two point conversion for the win...Never personel always business... I told shy he shoulda told the kid have fun watching me play on tv when you get off your job flipping burgers to pay for your community college... I'll be the kid not good enough for d1 getting the free ride. But shy said he wasn't worth his time... Damn kid not sure where he gets his let it go attitude from... I'd have body slammed the kid

Best answer is always pointing to the scoreboard.

My oldest dealt with that in soccer last year. Some kid running his mouth "he's not even that good, I dont need to cover him" to which he responded to by scoring a couple of goals in a 6-3 win. I did train him up a bit more in clean smack talk after the fact since @ 13 smack talk is relatively new but "scoreboard" is still always the best line.

Sidenote, my son now wants under armor gear... with Superman logos on it. Immediately reminded me of you and yours.

Trash talk is a part of sports. It's the ability to speak with your play as well/or instead of your mouth that separates the stars from the high school glory children.

I hate trash talk. Athletics is supposed to teach lessons in life to make players better people as they go forward into society. Teamwork, sacrifice, preparation and sportsmanship were all valuable lessons. Sportsmanship - not so much anymore.

I am reminded of speech given by John Loeb, one of the old Wall Street barons, at at his 75th birthday party thrown by his partners at Loeb Rhoades & Co (at the time the 5th largest firm by capital on Wall Street). He said (paraphrasing here), "I was always proud that the firm stood for excellence with elegance - now I guess we will have to settle for excellence." That is how I feel about the lack of sportsmanship. Every time I see a kid trash talking , I wonder how that will help make him a better person better prepared for life. With the lessons these kids are getting, it is no wonder the vast majority of them get washed out so early in life. It is just so sad as so many of them are really great kids and they just need the adults to set better examples and to teach them the virtues of sportsmanship.

I'll get down from the soap box now.

Last edited:
I hate trash talk. Athletics is supposed to teach lessons in life to make players better people as they go forward into society. Teamwork, sacrifice, preparation and sportsmanship were all valuable lessons. Sportsmanship - not so much anymore.

I am reminded of speech given by John Loeb, one of the old Wall Street barons, at at his 75th birthday party thrown by his partners at Loeb Rhoades & Co (at the time the 5th largest firm by capital on Wall Street). He said (paraphrasing here), "I was always proud that the firm stood for excellence with elegance - not I guess we will have to settle for excellence." That is how I feel about the lack of sportsmanship. Every time I see a kid trash talking , I wonder how that will help make him a better person better prepared for life. With the lessons these kids are getting, it is no wonder the vast majority of them get washed out so early in life. It is just so sad as so many of them are really great kids and they just need the adults to set better examples and to teach them the virtues of sportsmanship.

I'll get down from the soap box now.

As I told my son, the more someone talks, the more insecure they are. They're trying to compensate and/or get a mental edge. All the greats that smack talked developed that at an early age when overcoming hardships ie Jordan, Moss, etc. The one's that have never questioned whether they were good enough rarely talk.

I love trash talkers. It's a dog eat dog world driven by competition. However toughness and a big mouth are two different things. There's no problem with an athlete having an edge and playing his opponent mentally.

As I told my son, the more someone talks, the more insecure they are. They're trying to compensate and/or get a mental edge. All the greats that smack talked developed that at an early age when overcoming hardships ie Jordan, Moss, etc. The one's that have never questioned whether they were good enough rarely talk.

Some of the best competitors have been great sportsman. Jack Nicklaus, as we know won 18 majors, but he finished 2nd 19 times! He was gracious in every loss. He often said that he learned that from Arnold Palmer who was so gracious to him when he lost to Jack.

In the 1969 Ryder Cup the US had to tie to retain the Cup. The event had witnessed acrimony and unsportsmanlike behavior by players on both sides. Britain's captain instructed players not to look for opponents' lost balls and an American intentionally stood too close to an opponent putting in an attempt to distract him.

On the 18th green of St Andrews in the final match, Nicklaus holed a putt and Tony Jacklin then faced a very missable short put to halve the hole and tie the CUP. In a great jesture of sportsmanship Nicklaus picked up Jacklin's marker and conceded his putt halving the match and the Ryder Cup. The US retained the cup in the first tie ever recorded and Jacklin was spared the possible disgrace of missing the putt on the fabled 18th at St Andrews in front of his countrymen.

THAT boys and girls is class. Today, I suppose someone would just say, "Hey Tony, I made mine, good luck with yours."

Last edited:
It's funny, when I played I was taught the same thing. I never talked trash, I just lined up across from you and beat the living crap out of you. The best was playing the inner city teams. Fowler, Corcoran, they talked so much trash. But they hated playing the farmers from the burbs. We hit hard

It's funny, when I played I was taught the same thing. I never talked trash, I just lined up across from you and beat the living crap out of you. The best was playing the inner city teams. Fowler, Corcoran, they talked so much trash. But they hated playing the farmers from the burbs. We hit hard

I've never talked smack in a serious game setting but I surely do it jest most any other time. One of my "farm boy" team mates talked smack in a game and ended up with a dislocated shoulder on a cheap shot as result.

Shy is going to the BC game this week. Unfortunately our daughter is taking him and I won't be able to attend. I was looking on line and this is still confusing to me... Until December 1 st there is still no contact between shy and staff off campus except by phone and online initiaed by shy correct... So being at Bc shy isn't allowed to say hello to the coaching staff correct?

Shy is going to the BC game this week. Unfortunately our daughter is taking him and I won't be able to attend. I was looking on line and this is still confusing to me... Until December 1 st there is still no contact between shy and staff off campus except by phone and online initiaed by shy correct... So being at Bc shy isn't allowed to say hello to the coaching staff correct?
If you can make sense of the NCAA rules please get in touch with the NSA as they could use your powers. Does Shy like snow?

Hell of a question. I'd presume the coaches can't go out of their way to see Shy but not sure if Shy can say hi to the coaches.

Hell of a question. I'd presume the coaches can't go out of their way to see Shy but not sure if Shy can say hi to the coaches.
What?!! Loss of scholarships for ten years, ineligible for bowls for ten years and show cause order for anybody who says "hi" back to him.

What?!! Loss of scholarships for ten years, ineligible for bowls for ten years and show cause order for anybody who says "hi" back to him.

What a about a wave or a nod and a smile?

I can't figure it out so I told shy he can go down to the 1 st row but not say anything or wave... No contact. If they initiate it then he can respond. He will be wearing the jersey I had made and will be making sure coach adazzio sees him. Lol.

AHEM

164358525_custom-f675567f977a7891c7d453d27273780eee15a242.jpg