Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

I know it probably shouldn't bother me but last night was crazy I got like 15 messages plus posts. As far as the Twitter stuff that's exactly what I am talking about. The kids that put it out there want the fans to respond. I am sure they don't want. The negative when it comes and I don't agree with the negative. The Internet is a self promting kids dream they are using it to their advantage.

So yesterday was an interesting day for me. Not so much from a being in syracuse point but from an online point. My phone died last night so I didn't get on line after the game. But when I got back to the room and charged my phone I was first barraged with messeges in Twitter about me tweeting steven Clark... Most of them saying I shouldn't be tweeting a 17 year old. Then I came on here to catch up on what was posted here while I was disconnected and found messages and posts about parents not belonging here and stay off posts I don't belong in plus a few more don't tweet 17 year olds.

I went to bed pretty mad to think about this stuff. I woke up this morning and have written this in my head 100 times tryin not to sound like an ass but still get my point across.

First I will start with the Twitter. I tweeted steven yeaterday after one of the gator guys tweeted him saying the usual come on gator nation show him we want him to flip ... Steven retweeted it. Seeing Steven retweet it gave me the feeling he want tbis attention. So I tweeted some thing along the same lines. I tweet Steven and his dad all the time along with a bunch of other recruitsy sons team mates etc. for those of you bashing this i would say you know nothing of Twitter or this generation of kids. My son doesn't post much on Twitter as he doesn't like the massive feed back on day to day stuff he does post big things when he wants a response and undestands the negativeY come with it. Robert washington Bo peek Steven and all the rest post there and when its stuff like come on gator nation show him love it's because they want to see the fans show them they want them.

So for the don't tweet a 17 year old crowd... Get a clue or shut your mouth.
Sorry if that seems harsh

Next was the don't post here folks. I am fully aware of what I may read here ... Hell I have a few other school sites I stopped posting at early on becUse of the crap they wrote about my son. I am a big boy I c an handle it and if I don't want to read it I will stay away.

I don't need to post here I can come here and read all I want about the school and team and never share anythjng with any one. I can get what I ckme here for in private message. I come here and post for you guys so you can see the true story of what you spend all day guessing at and hoping people in the know can get you. I will tell you I have pmed stuff to people and had it be breaking news 20 mins later on all the sites. I spend a lot of time speaking with this staff when here and when at home thru visits and texts. I have shared 80 percent of what I have experienced on here probably another 10 percent in private and another 10 I haven't shared at all. I found things out yesterday about stuff that would make people's head explode on here and unfortunately I won't be sharing that stuff as I was asked to not.

I came here for info I am now a fan of Syracuse but more than that I have made a lot of friends. I can feel the tension thru what happens here when I post on things some people say. I can see the people in the know stop posting when I contraditct what they say. I notice when a thread dies for days after I post because people are trying not to bash me because I am a parent of a recruit and they don't want the board to turn on them.

I guess I will finish up by saying the arm chair coaches on here can say what they want post what you want. For the most part you have zero clue. I am going to get a coffee and when I get back I will post how last night went if you want to read it feel free if you think I shouldn't post here I am sure you can go read some interesting thought on brady being the worst QB ever on the football page. Again to the people I am friends with and the folks that enjoy this insite I am sorry to blow up a thread with this but a few of yall pissed me off
Bam,
I wanted to say that I appreciate all the info you provide to this board. I think you give a perspective that 99% percent of this board cannot give - that of a parent of someone going thru the recruiting process. Most everyone here does not know what goes on behind the scenes so when something doesn't go our way all most do is speculate and most of the time the speculation is negative. SU has not had the best luck especially recently so the negativity is what some people resort to. That is the primary reason some have said that it is better for parents to stay away once kids get on campus. Trolls will bad mouth kids for no other reason than they are hiding behind a keyboard in somewhat anonymity.

As far as twitter is concerned, I don't think most comments in posts are directed at people like you. As the parent of a recruit and someone who already has a personal relationship, there is no reason you shouldn't tweet Clark or his father. The vast majority saying a grown adult shouldn't tweet a recruit is directed at random adults creeping them by tweeting them. Personally, I am not a fan but to each there own. The messages about you tweeting recruits are most likely people trolling again.

Thanks for your perspective and look forward to your future posts.

I know it probably shouldn't bother me but last night was crazy I got like 15 messages plus posts. As far as the Twitter stuff that's exactly what I am talking about. The kids that put it out there want the fans to respond. I am sure they don't want. The negative when it comes and I don't agree with the negative. The Internet is a self promting kids dream they are using it to their advantage.

I apologize if you were receiving PMs and DMs from posters on this board telling you not to tweet at Steven. Anyone who follows you on twitter knows that you have a relationship with the Clarks and Dunkelbergers on twitter... not to mention other posters on this forum. If you all weren't fascinated with what these kids are tweeting out I wouldn't have so many likes. I certainly can stop posting everything I see out there.

I've found all of the parents posts here very encouraging. Bam - hearing about his Shafer extended the offer to Shy is why I read this board. Kelly sharing how hard her son has worked - to fight through JUCO. Awesome. Hearing from Steven's Dad about the decision making process - I have a lot of respect for their whole family.

To me it's helped humanize the process. It's real sons of real people with lives. Sometimes on the board prior, we'd end up detached. You start seeing stars (literally) - and not young men trying to find their way.

And finally - it's been great to know that behind each of these guys is a family - helping them and standing with them. Makes me think of the kids who go through this process without Dad's like you, Bam.

Keep posting :).

Ok coffee is in and as one of my favorite coaches likes to say we are on to syracuse recruiting stuff.

So yesterday we had the lunch from dinosaur awesome as usual. We sat with coach Lea and talked family and Shy's grades. We got to meet Jonathan Thomas and speak with the guys in charge of helping the athletes with acedemics. Bromely showed up and met the kids they all liked that. Then we went in and coach Shafer gave us a speech. He told the kids how it was going to be and what he expects from them. I wish I could have videoed it and showed you guys. For all the fire the staff crew of you could hear how he speaks to the kids and what passion he has not only for football but the kids and community maybe you wouldnt be so quick to want him gone. He spoke of last season and what they went thru and he spoke of how things won't be like that again. He is very excited about this class he says his vision of what his team should look like is coming into focus.

Next we got to grill the players. The coaches all left and we were able to ask the existing players what we wanted. I asked them how the coaches were to be around when the losses started piling up last season. They said the coaches wouldn't let them feel sorry they kept pushing them to stay positive and it made them feel good even though they were having a bad time.

We headed for the game next wich I am sure you all saw it was fun but we wished for a couple more free throws to go in.

Then we headed for dinner. It was a great meal they put on. Baby doll was there and we got to meet her. The players all do love her. The food was awesome. I wish I had pictures but my camera was dead. We sat with coach Shafer and missy and Elsa. Shy and Paris Bennett also sat at the table with us. Coaches family is so great. Coach told us some great stories and talked a little football. I talked with Paris and got to know him and where he is from. It was such a great opportunity few people get to have. We sat and talked with missy and ellsa for a couple hours, coach had to spend some time with the other recruits. We spent most of that time talking about school and family. It was really a good time. They are such awesome people.

After that it was back to the hotel... I think my other post outlined e rest of my evening lol.

I apologize if you were receiving PMs and DMs from posters on this board telling you not to tweet at Steven. Anyone who follows you on twitter knows that you have a relationship with the Clarks and Dunkelbergers on twitter... not to mention other posters on this forum. If you all weren't fascinated with what these kids are tweeting out I wouldn't have so many likes. I certainly can stop posting everything I see out there.
There is nothing for you to apologize for. I just think they don't understand how Twitter works or why these kids use it.

I've found all of the parents posts here very encouraging. Bam - hearing about his Shafer extended the offer to Shy is why I read this board. Kelly sharing how hard her son has worked - to fight through JUCO. Awesome. Hearing from Steven's Dad about the decision making process - I have a lot of respect for their whole family.

To me it's helped humanize the process. It's real sons of real people with lives. Sometimes on the board prior, we'd end up detached. You start seeing stars (literally) - and not young men trying to find their way.

And finally - it's been great to know that behind each of these guys is a family - helping them and standing with them. Makes me think of the kids who go through this process without Dad's like you, Bam.

Dang you..you have me tearing up. That is the post of the year. That is why I take time to post on here.

Ok coffee is in and as one of my favorite coaches likes to say we are on to syracuse recruiting stuff.

So yesterday we had the lunch from dinosaur awesome as usual. We sat with coach Lea and talked family and Shy's grades. We got to meet Jonathan Thomas and speak with the guys in charge of helping the athletes with acedemics. Bromely showed up and met the kids they all liked that. Then we went in and coach Shafer gave us a speech. He told the kids how it was going to be and what he expects from them. I wish I could have videoed it and showed you guys. For all the fire the staff crew of you could hear how he speaks to the kids and what passion he has not only for football but the kids and community maybe you wouldnt be so quick to want him gone. He spoke of last season and what they went thru and he spoke of how things won't be like that again. He is very excited about this class he says his vision of what his team should look like is coming into focus.

Next we got to grill the players. The coaches all left and we were able to ask the existing players what we wanted. I asked them how the coaches were to be around when the losses started piling up last season. They said the coaches wouldn't let them feel sorry they kept pushing them to stay positive and it made them feel good even though they were having a bad time.

We headed for the game next wich I am sure you all saw it was fun but we wished for a couple more free throws to go in.

Then we headed for dinner. It was a great meal they put on. Baby doll was there and we got to meet her. The players all do love her. The food was awesome. I wish I had pictures but my camera was dead. We sat with coach Shafer and missy and Elsa. Shy and Paris Bennett also sat at the table with us. Coaches family is so great. Coach told us some great stories and talked a little football. I talked with Paris and got to know him and where he is from. It was such a great opportunity few people get to have. We sat and talked with missy and ellsa for a couple hours, coach had to spend some time with the other recruits. We spent most of that time talking about school and family. It was really a good time. They are such awesome people.

After that it was back to the hotel... I think my other post outlined e rest of my evening lol.
I had the pleasure of spending about 20 minutes with coach Shafer and his family the day before thanksgiving and I have to say I was extremely impressed. Missy found out that it was my daughters birthday that weekend and she went and bought my daughter cake and ice cream. Coach shaver actually mentioned my daughter by name during the live radio show. He also gave me some incite in to the team and this years current freshman class they really are just wonderful people.

Please don't stop. For those of us of sound mind It is a much appreciated contribution. Sidenote, I think some folks should have a breathalyzer mandated for this site. I've seen some bizarre, inflammatory posts followed uplater by "sorry had a few drinks before I posted that". I ddon't do twitter or myspace but it seems plenty of folks need filters of some sort.

I'm also amazed how many people post about things, as if they were experts, but they clearly know nothing about. The most recent being folks bashing our new coaching hire. I usually don't get uppity about random internet musings but that thread p***ed me off. Cant wait for the doom and gloomers to disappear when we're racking up wins this year. With the TE's we have on roster, Trey joining the ranks, and the offense we are looking to run, I honestly feel that hire is a home run. Time will tell if I'm wrong but I'll be here regardless. A lot of the blow hard, syracuse.com types, will disappear back into their caves waiting for something new to whine about in the meantime.

Just to be clear. I wasn't directing my post to anyone person... To be honest my real anger is to the people who dmed me and wouldn't even put out for the rest to see. It's one thing to hide behind a key board and spew crap is another to hide from everyone and spew crap... The public posts were just the cherry on top. I love reading stuff from all of you even some of the people I driected that at have great posts. I just wanted to address everybody at once in public.

Great post!

I for one love to hear about the process from the parents' perspective as well, it gives us a glimpse of what they go through with their children and families during the crazy thing that is recruiting.

I have a lot of respect for parents who go onto any message board to hear what fans are saying, which as we all know isn't always nice.

The insight and thoughts shared here by the parents are greatly appreciated by some of us. It would be a great loss if parents weren't allowed to share.

And CL, keep posting as I do not use Facebook, Twitter, etc. and watch every post you make. I need the explanations of the tweets from you and other board members or I would be lost.

I had the pleasure of spending about 20 minutes with coach Shafer and his family the day before thanksgiving and I have to say I was extremely impressed. Missy found out that it was my daughters birthday that weekend and she went and bought my daughter cake and ice cream. Coach shaver actually mentioned my daughter by name during the live radio show. He also gave me some incite in to the team and this years current freshman class they really are just wonderful people.

Shafer and his family are all class, had the opportunity to meet everyone except Wolfgang. He like myself wears his emotions on his sleeve and is as down to earth and genuine as anyone I have ever met. Love having him as our coach and want him to stay here a long time, need wins to do that and I will be a supporter for his entire tenure. However long or short that may be.

He is finding his way as a head coach much like some of the recruits are finding their way to SU as well as through life.

Dang you..you have me tearing up. That is the post of the year. That is why I take time to post on here.
You and TheCusian are two of my favorite posters!!! You both, like me and bam, always look for the positive and focus on the good. Negativity is a waste of energy! Bam, sorry you have to deal with ignorance, just block those people :)
I absolutely love being on this forum, 1-passes the time and gets us excited until game time, 2-connecting with great people, and 3-learning some of the history of SU football and hearing other peoples opinions.
Growing up my parents always would tell me and my brothers - let no bad word come out of your mouth less that which is good! I live by that!!
My prayer for these kids is success in the classroom, success on the field, role model for the team, and NO INJURIES! C'mon football season!! Cannot wait for the spring game - we, like all of you, don't know our kids potential and we, like you, are excited to watch them grow, succeed, and dominate the ACC!
Bam, you will have had such a good time this weekend, that you will miss it! Wish we were back there on ours!! Safe travels home bud!!

I just laugh at internet tough guys like the ones Bam mentioned. Its amazing how some folks seem to have alter egos online and say stuff they would never dream of in person. Also don't understand those that appear to be angry all the time, life is too short and has too much good in it to live that way.

So yesterday was an interesting day for me. Not so much from a being in syracuse point but from an online point. My phone died last night so I didn't get on line after the game. But when I got back to the room and charged my phone I was first barraged with messeges in Twitter about me tweeting steven Clark... Most of them saying I shouldn't be tweeting a 17 year old. Then I came on here to catch up on what was posted here while I was disconnected and found messages and posts about parents not belonging here and stay off posts I don't belong in plus a few more don't tweet 17 year olds.

I went to bed pretty mad to think about this stuff. I woke up this morning and have written this in my head 100 times tryin not to sound like an ass but still get my point across.

First I will start with the Twitter. I tweeted steven yeaterday after one of the gator guys tweeted him saying the usual come on gator nation show him we want him to flip ... Steven retweeted it. Seeing Steven retweet it gave me the feeling he want tbis attention. So I tweeted some thing along the same lines. I tweet Steven and his dad all the time along with a bunch of other recruitsy sons team mates etc. for those of you bashing this i would say you know nothing of Twitter or this generation of kids. My son doesn't post much on Twitter as he doesn't like the massive feed back on day to day stuff he does post big things when he wants a response and undestands the negativeY come with it. Robert washington Bo peek Steven and all the rest post there and when its stuff like come on gator nation show him love it's because they want to see the fans show them they want them.

So for the don't tweet a 17 year old crowd... Get a clue or shut your mouth.
Sorry if that seems harsh

Next was the don't post here folks. I am fully aware of what I may read here ... Hell I have a few other school sites I stopped posting at early on becUse of the crap they wrote about my son. I am a big boy I c an handle it and if I don't want to read it I will stay away.

I don't need to post here I can come here and read all I want about the school and team and never share anythjng with any one. I can get what I ckme here for in private message. I come here and post for you guys so you can see the true story of what you spend all day guessing at and hoping people in the know can get you. I will tell you I have pmed stuff to people and had it be breaking news 20 mins later on all the sites. I spend a lot of time speaking with this staff when here and when at home thru visits and texts. I have shared 80 percent of what I have experienced on here probably another 10 percent in private and another 10 I haven't shared at all. I found things out yesterday about stuff that would make people's head explode on here and unfortunately I won't be sharing that stuff as I was asked to not.

I came here for info I am now a fan of Syracuse but more than that I have made a lot of friends. I can feel the tension thru what happens here when I post on things some people say. I can see the people in the know stop posting when I contraditct what they say. I notice when a thread dies for days after I post because people are trying not to bash me because I am a parent of a recruit and they don't want the board to turn on them.

I guess I will finish up by saying the arm chair coaches on here can say what they want post what you want. For the most part you have zero clue. I am going to get a coffee and when I get back I will post how last night went if you want to read it feel free if you think I shouldn't post here I am sure you can go read some interesting thought on brady being the worst QB ever on the football page. Again to the people I am friends with and the folks that enjoy this insite I am sorry to blow up a thread with this but a few of yall pissed me off
Well naturally I am most interested in the stuff that would make my head explode. :D

Don't mind the tweet-shamers. I don't personally do it because I think it's creepy, but then again, I am a fan (and I don't use Twitter anyway!). You are the parent of a recruit, and assuming you have met Steven and his family in person (or maybe even through online communication), I think you have a "pre-existing relationship" with him, which satisfies the NCAA's guidelines for allowable contact. I cannot believe people from either the SU or UF side were chastising you. Mosquitoes.

This is why we can't have nice things? ;)

Bam, don't stop posting if you enjoy it. I know most of us appreciate and enjoy the info.

Kelly029x said:
You and TheCusian are two of my favorite posters!!! You both, like me and bam, always look for the positive and focus on the good. Negativity is a waste of energy! Bam, sorry you have to deal with ignorance, just block those people :) I absolutely love being on this forum, 1-passes the time and gets us excited until game time, 2-connecting with great people, and 3-learning some of the history of SU football and hearing other peoples opinions. Growing up my parents always would tell me and my brothers - let no bad word come out of your mouth less that which is good! I live by that!! My prayer for these kids is success in the classroom, success on the field, role model for the team, and NO INJURIES! C'mon football season!! Cannot wait for the spring game - we, like all of you, don't know our kids potential and we, like you, are excited to watch them grow, succeed, and dominate the ACC! Bam, you will have had such a good time this weekend, that you will miss it! Wish we were back there on ours!! Safe travels home bud!!

I take a decent amount of crap (sometimes because I say stupid things - and sometimes because I'm relentlessly positive about Syracuse). People say "you're wearing orange colored glasses" like its a negative. I take pride in it. Especially before the season.

Can't wait to see Trey killing it this season!!!!

Just to be clear. I wasn't directing my post to anyone person... To be honest my real anger is to the people who dmed me and wouldn't even put out for the rest to see. It's one thing to hide behind a key board and spew crap is another to hide from everyone and spew crap... The public posts were just the cherry on top. I love reading stuff from all of you even some of the people I driected that at have great posts. I just wanted to address everybody at once in public.
Bam, you're likely to know this already but there is an ignore feature to block specific posters.

So yesterday we had the lunch from dinosaur awesome as usual. We sat with coach Lea and talked family and Shy's grades. We got to meet Jonathan Thomas and speak with the guys in charge of helping the athletes with acedemics. Bromely showed up and met the kids they all liked that. .

By any happenchance, did JT and Shy talk about carrying on the "straight flex period" as you see JT is down to replace Kirkland?
BkWBG5ICcAAaV-M.jpg

Last edited:
Bam, as someone who just mainly reads, keep posting. I and many others read this board more than the main board because of people like you. The human side of recruiting is much more satisfying imo than the actual games. It's easy to stay connected with the team when the players and families are more than a number. Recent players like Jay Bromley, Shamarko, Alec Lemon et al were fan favorites because they worked hard, played hard and loved Syracuse. You and your son as well as Trey and Kelly and the Clarks, if they chose, will fit right into that mode as well. And we will be right beside you rooting all your sons on as well. Thanks, and again keep posting.

its the one thing the pay side had going for it.. there was way less of the negative stuff and lots of interesting info when people couldnt just spew random stuff out. twitter just makes it worse with the ease of getting any message out you want.

Thanks everyone for the Dms and messages here and on Twitter there qS a bunch that piled up when I was driving so I will just thank everyone here instead of answering them all.

Good last day we ate breakfast at Manley with the players. After breakfast we sat down with coach Lea to cover x and o's. We spent about 2 hours watching film learning play book stuff and terms the team uses... My wife was thrilled... Not... I had a ball shy loved it and can't wait to sign so they will send him the rest. He also gets his workout plan after signing day. Coach bullough came by and hung out for part of it.

After that we hit the t shirt shop again... I thought the last 2 trips were costly... This one was an absurd amount of money.

Then we drove home... I had to go food shopping when I got home and shovel 8 inches of snow... My sense of humor has left town.

I can't explain to you guys how lucky this program is to have the coaches they have. You can beat them up all you want for the bad season but you truly have no ideA. I think you all need to stop and look at the kids considering a school that had 3 wins this season. It s been a bit since syracuse had big success and kids like pickard, Howard, Clark washington... Not just the under the radar kids... Are considering this school for one reason... The staff. This staff has a vision and the ability to fufill it. These big names know they have a shot to get to the next level. They are picking schools not just for academics but for a staff that can get them to that level. Seeing a 3 win season these kids need to trust a staff to even put the school name on their top school list. Next time you are about to type a blow up the staff post. Think about it. You may not know how good they really are and you may want to reconsider the years of set backs a new staff will cause.

With that I am off to bed