Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high...34/lowells-shyheim-cullen-commits-to-syracuse

Lowell's Shyheim Cullen commits to Syracuse

June, 21, 2014
Jun 21
8:50
PM ET
By Brendan C. Hall | ESPNBoston.com

Lowell High senior inside linebacker Shyheim Cullen gave a verbal commitment to Syracuse University earlier today, he confirmed tonight to ESPNBoston.com

The 6-foot, 215-pound Cullen gave a pledge to the Orange today while on a visit to campus for a prospect camp, where among other things he recorded a 36-inch vertical leap, 10-foot-1 broad jump and 4.4-second shuttle. In the past, he has recorded a 40-yard dash in the 4.5 range.

At the time of his commitment, Syracuse -- who offered last April -- was Cullen's lone Division 1 FBS offer. Cullen also received varying degrees of interest from Boston College, UConn, UMass, Temple, Rutgers, New Hampshire, Maine and Rhode Island.

"I already had Syracuse on my mind. But after coming today and meeting the coaching staff, coming to school, that all drew me in," Cullen said. "It's a great environment for me. I just felt comfortable there.

"I was really excited [to commit], and I still am. I still can't believe I'm going to Syracuse. What stuck out most to me was how much the coaches cared about the athletes."

Cullen was one of just eight juniors selected to ESPN Boston's annual All-State Team last fall after leading the Red Raiders to the semifinals of the MIAA Division 1 North tournament. Manning the middle linebacker position in Florence's 3-5-3 defense, Cullen was particularly lethal on interior gap blitzes, recording 12 sacks to go along with 52 tackles.

At Syracuse, Cullen likely projects to outside linebacker, either at the weak or strong side.

"That's what they really like, how well I carry towards the ball," Cullen said. "They say I have incredible explosiveness and speed when it comes to that. When they watch my highlight film and see me jumping over people and stuff like that, that really attracts them."

When he arrives at Syracuse in the fall of 2015, he will be the Orange's first recruit from Massachusetts since former offensive lineman Ryan Durand, a 2005 St. Bernard's graduate who was drafted by the Tennessee Titans in 2009. Historically, though, the Orange have often landed some of the Bay State's best recruits for generations, from Diamond Ferri (Everett) to Rob Konrad (St. John's Prep) to the famed Morris brothers of Ayer High.

"It actually means a lot," Cullen said. "Especially coming from this area, Mass. kids don't get looked at by big schools such as Syracuse. I'm actually honored to go to Syracuse."

Fantastic news, congrats and welcome to the Hill! I take it mom gave the ok on this as well? As a father with a couple of kids in college I have to admit I'm quite jealous.

I think Shy needs a nickname...and I need a hobby. :)

The nominees are:

"Boom"

"Bam Bam"

"Superman"

"SuperShy"

Voting is now open.

Last edited:
BqveFdGCYAANgcH.jpg:large

The nominees are:

"Boom"

"Bam Bam"

"Superman"

Voting is now open.
I am partial to supershy... But the superman will come to an end when he is no longer allowed to wear under armour... Nike has no cool stuff like that

I am so happy as a fan to hear this commitment. Shy sounds like a fine young man with a great father to mentor him. Will look forward to watching Shy progress the next four or five years. It's picks like this that shows our coaching staff knows how to evaluate talent. Make no reservations, this commit is a good one!

I am partial to supershy... But the superman will come to an end when he is no longer allowed to wear under armour... Nike has no cool stuff like that

You could just call him swoosh :)

True but when Shy Is wearing nike gear at SU he'll actually be a superhero to all the kids in attendence. Able to leap tall linemen in a single bound... and to detach the ball from opposing players...

And lets be honest, with that 44 sheild on his chest it looks a lot like superhero gear

BqxM_hfCUAAb0Pu.jpg:large

Well then you had better get him some Cuse onesies.;)
Ohio state FSU and Miami claim ncaa rules violation... Rivals claims first 6 star recruit 247 sports says he will start for syracuse football as power forward...JJ says in interview he committed but will decommit for university of Mars set to open in 2031 loves the temp on red planet but says the commute for away games will be a bitch.

Ohio state FSU and Miami claim ncaa rules violation... Rivals claims first 6 star recruit 247 sports says he will start for syracuse football as power forward...JJ says in interview he committed but will decommit for university of Mars set to open in 2031 loves the temp on red planet but says the commute for away games will be a bitch.

And Ry will be playing with a big chip on his shoulder. LOL. You need sleep.

Franz69 said:

The nominees are:

"Boom"

"Bam Bam"

"Superman"

"SuperShy"

Voting is now open.

It's time to contact Ottoingrotto. He will make it so

Congrats Shy we are all so happy to have you in Orange. I was away this weekend this was just the type of thing to end the weekend on an upswing Thanks!