Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

225 touch-n-go power cleans are no joke! Great form too. That's just about my 1rm so impressive seeing him bang them out like that.

Did anyone hear a radio interview Shy did yesterday? He wasnt sure who he spoke to but said it was some kind of internet radio station that covers Syracuse football. The guy asked him to be a regular guest on the show. I just wanted to see if they archive their broadcasts so I could hear what they talked about. They talked for about half an hour.

Did anyone hear a radio interview Shy did yesterday? He wasnt sure who he spoke to but said it was some kind of internet radio station that covers Syracuse football. The guy asked him to be a regular guest on the show. I just wanted to see if they archive their broadcasts so I could hear what they talked about. They talked for about half an hour.
Was it dan tortora@calldt. That's his twitter handle. He had a show with rob Drummond between 5-7. I didn't listen to it

I have mentioned it to him. He has had a lot of people he doesn't know come up and say they know who he is. He has done a lot of interviews. The other night one of his aunts was at a bar in Boston about 30 miles from where we live. She went up to some guy wearing a syracuse hat and said my nephew is going there next year. He asked who he was and she said Shy Cullen they guy turns around and says oh my god I can't wait for him to come play at cuse. Last night at 7 on 7 all the coaches came over and congratulated him. Kids on the field were asking him about it. Little over whelming for him but he seems to be adjusting.

I have mentioned it to him. He has had a lot of people he doesn't know come up and say they know who he is. He has done a lot of interviews. The other night one of his aunts was at a bar in Boston about 30 miles from where we live. She went up to some guy wearing a syracuse hat and said my nephew is going there next year. He asked who he was and she said Shy Cullen they guy turns around and says oh my god I can't wait for him to come play at cuse. Last night at 7 on 7 all the coaches came over and congratulated him. Kids on the field were asking him about it. Little over whelming for him but he seems to be adjusting.

Welcome to football stardom Shy. It will only get "Worse" as he actually gets on campus and starts mutilating QBs.

Libero2 said:
Welcome to football stardom Shy. It will only get "Worse" as he actually gets on campus and starts mutilating QBs.

I think you're right - but there is a nice break from stardom in that first summer. Just hard work with a bunch of other freshman.

I don't know how Shy will be, but I'd enjoy the "it's just time to work" phase. Recruiting season has to be a pain in the arse on some level.

I think you're right - but there is a nice break from stardom in that first summer. Just hard work with a bunch of other freshman.

I don't know how Shy will be, but I'd enjoy the "it's just time to work" phase. Recruiting season has to be a pain in the arse on some level.
I imagine it freaking sucks.

I equate it to the normal kid checking out colleges, X 1000. I hated driving to different schools, looking up what school had my majors, writing applications, writing essays for scholarships, fearing for a while that nobody would take me, and then fearing everybody would take me and I'd have to pick. It all sucked.

But once it was done and you actually got on campus, it was nice to just get back to work and do what you actually wanted to do.

Then these kids have to deal with everybody and their grandparents knowing who they are and what they are all about. That would really suck on top of everything else.

Yeah he hates doing interviews. He is always afraid they will ask him a question he doesnt know or doesnt want to answer. I told him early on he had to do every interview anyone asked for. (get him used to public speaking) But i have to say even i wasnt prepared for the amount he has been doing

Interesting story on rivals today about shy. There north east evaluator did an assessment of what syracuse is getting in shy. It was actually pretty glowing. He thought shy would fit well in the syracuse defense.. Talked about the viciousness of his hitting. Said he had good speed and was very explosive. The only things he said were a down side he said were his size? Not sure what he wants in a prospect. His ability to sustain speed while running? I don't even know what that means but may go shoot a video of shy running a 100 yards. The other thing he said that I think he meant as a positive but he said he would be a two year starter. I was thinking 3 myself but like I say I think he meant it as a positive

Bambrewer said:
Interesting story on rivals today about shy. There north east evaluator did an assessment of what syracuse is getting in shy. It was actually pretty glowing. He thought shy would fit well in the syracuse defense.. Talked about the viciousness of his hitting. Said he had good speed and was very explosive. The only things he said were a down side he said were his size? Not sure what he wants in a prospect. His ability to sustain speed while running? I don't even know what that means but may go shoot a video of shy running a 100 yards. The other thing he said that I think he meant as a positive but he said he would be a two year starter. I was thinking 3 myself but like I say I think he meant it as a positive

Maybe they are coming around on Shy and on our coaches ability to recognize talent!?

I cannot wait for Shy to light up the BC QB...

God must suck... until the sorority girls and coeds figure out who he is.

Bam, there always seems to be some discussion about Shy's height. You think he's done growing or does he maybe have one last growth spurt left?

Bam, there always seems to be some discussion about Shy's height. You think he's done growing or does he maybe have one last growth spurt left?
Oh no he had an Injury in the last game of the season and had to go for xrays. the doctor thought we were committing insurance fraud saying Shy looked like he was 21 and we brought his insurance card that said he was sixteen. So the doctor xrayed his growth plates to see if we were lying. He came back and said he was sorry he cant believe this kid was only 16...he went on to say his growth plates were just starting to show signs of closing. He expected 6'3 6'4 i have been a little more reserved in claiming 6'1 6'2. But there is no doubt he will grow more.

Oh no he had an Injury in the last game of the season and had to go for xrays. the doctor thought we were committing insurance fraud saying Shy looked like he was 21 and we brought his insurance card that said he was sixteen. So the doctor xrayed his growth plates to see if we were lying. He came back and said he was sorry he cant believe this kid was only 16...he went on to say his growth plates were just starting to show signs of closing. He expected 6'3 6'4 i have been a little more reserved in claiming 6'1 6'2. But there is no doubt he will grow more.
That is freaking scary. Your boy could grow into the prototypical size for a linebacker in both height and weight and be in the freak range for strength. He could be an absolute animal by the time he is an upperclassmen, or even before. This defense could be incredible in a couple of years.

He's already taller than Cam Lynch, but to think he'll grow another few inches certainly sounds great. The reason I asked in the first place is that there tends to be a lot of discussion here and on recruiting sites about a kid's size when he commits,not what his size projects to be when he actually gets on the field. These kids are not even seniors in high school yet. Call me crazy, but most of them will grow.

From 16-18, I grew half a foot. I remember getting carded at Syracuse and they would all look at my license and say, "You're supposed to be 5'7", when in fact I was 6'1". I was like, "No , my parents didn't stunt my growth by feeding me coffee and cigarettes. I grew dummy."

That is freaking scary. Your boy could grow into the prototypical size for a linebacker in both height and weight and be in the freak range for strength. He could be an absolute animal by the time he is an upperclassmen, or even before. This defense could be incredible in a couple of years.
Yeah he just texted me. Him and his friend are heading back over to Velocity for another workout now...he loves to workout. The progam at velocity works on speed and flexibility. His workout at school is strictly weights and streching. His work out at NE strength he does 2 times a week is football specific. We go to the park a couple days a week to run hills, drag sleds, cones, ladders,weight vests, polymetrics, and swing ropes. This is by far the most extensive workout schedule for an off season he has ever had. He will be unbelievable this year.

He's already taller than Cam Lynch, but to think he'll grow another few inches certainly sounds great. The reason I asked in the first place is that there tends to be a lot of discussion here and on recruiting sites about a kid's size when he commits,not what his size projects to be when he actually gets on the field. These kids are not even seniors in high school yet. Call me crazy, but most of them will grow.

From 16-18, I grew half a foot. I remember getting carded at Syracuse and they would all look at my license and say, "You're supposed to be 5'7", when in fact I was 6'1". I was like, "No , my parents didn't stunt my growth by feeding me coffee and cigarettes. I grew dummy."
Yeah I think it depends on the individual but some will definitely grow...Its just nice with Shy to have a doctor confirmation on it. lol. If the doctor didnt say it I would have thought he was done.

Nice

Bam although I appreciate the report on his SAT's it might be wise not to report his actual score. That is very private info. I would just say it's not where he wants to be
I understand and wouldn't post it but the speculation is worse than the truth. Schools looking at him see it anyways. I did take you advise and remove it though thank you

But apparently it lives on in quotes lol... Like I said we hide nothing... He will be eligible. He takes as sat prep course and I will look into that Princeton review