Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

Hey Bam, I know I'm late to the party, but I just want to add my voice in welcoming you, Shy and your family to the SU family. I know it's all been said before, but what you've written supports our best thoughts and beliefs about what Coach Shafer and his staff are, and what they are doing to move this program forward. They help build great men as well as great football players in a family atmosphere that must be very comforting for a parent of a student athlete. Enjoy your time on the Hill, and make sure you stop by the Fine Lot to introduce yourself to many of the posters you see on here. Thanks again for the unique insight that you've provided us into the world of recruiting.

Hey Bam, I know I'm late to the party, but I just want to add my voice in welcoming you, Shy and your family to the SU family. I know it's all been said before, but what you've written supports our best thoughts and beliefs about what Coach Shafer and his staff are, and what they are doing to move this program forward. They help build great men as well as great football players in a family atmosphere that must be very comforting for a parent of a student athlete. Enjoy your time on the Hill, and make sure you stop by the Fine Lot to introduce yourself to many of the posters you see on here. Thanks again for the unique insight that you've provided us into the world of recruiting.
Thank you. I will check that out. Shy and I are planning in catching a game this season. And will take a little tour of who is in town. We have had a lot of people invite us different place and will try an hit them all.

At some point in my life I would love to stop by a Fine Lot tailgate... unfortunately I am usually only in Syracuse during the summer or around Christmas, at some point I just need to make it a priority and just do it.

At some point in my life I would love to stop by a Fine Lot tailgate... unfortunately I am usually only in Syracuse during the summer or around Christmas, at some point I just need to make it a priority and just do it.
I feel your pain, living in Florida it is tough to get up there especially when you don't quite have the revenue to make the trip.

And here's the staff's first case of a kid that we won't see the extra offers listed on the recruiting sites because schools like Purdue won't offer unless they think if they do he'll go there. These kids will all have this happen before they sign LOI's in February.

And here's the staff's first case of a kid that we won't see the extra offers listed on the recruiting sites because schools like Purdue won't offer unless they think if they do he'll go there. These kids will all have this happen before they sign LOI's in February.
What do you mean exactly?

Whitey23 said:
Schools won't formally offer committed kids unless they think they will flip. So our commits won't get credit for P5 offers.

Thus leaving the posters who post once a month a lot of room to dump on the kids and staff.

So what you are saying is that Bam needs to encourage Shy to string these guys along so he can end up a 20 offer kid which makes us look better?

Brilliant! What could possibly go wrong?

[/sarcasm]

If PSU ever comes calling, mail them back a bag of ...dog treats.

Last edited:
Schools won't formally offer committed kids unless they think they will flip. So our commits won't get credit for future P5 offers. (I think that's what he means)

Kind of like what we did with Tommy Mister last class. We weren't going to formally offer since he was committed to ISU, and we didn't know if we could 100% flip him.

anomander said:
Kind of like what we did with Tommy Mister last class. We weren't going to formally offer since he was committed to ISU, and we didn't know if we could 100% flip him.

Genuine question... What's the logic for not offering if you're unsure of a flip?

Genuine question... What's the logic for not offering if you're unsure of a flip?
I think maybe "unsure" is the wrong wording if taken literally, maybe unsure as in unconvinced a flip is a strong possibility.

For example once you offer an elsewhere committed RB later in the process you would spook another RB recruit which is your #1 guy if you cant get the flip to come through and you have to dedicate a great deal of time to trying to close on that flip you could spend on other prospects. Testing the water and talking to a recruit is a much lower bar for the staff and they can always say to the other recruit we haven't even offered that guy who would have to flip he's going to X school. If you aren't convinced its a strong possibility an offer its a big, time and recruit relations hit.

On the other hand a guy like Devante Davis it was early in the process and the writing was on the wall that he was keeping his options open so the offers kept rolling in.

Clogging the board. Most of the time (when you are in position of looking for a flip), you view yourself as a superior option to the school they committed to or you are doing your due diligence on some prospects that popped up their senior years.

So, you call them, have a quick convo and ask them if they would be interested in the university or making a visit. If he doesn't answer yes, you are wasting your time. If he says I don't know, that is pretty much a no. You may say I will check back in later to see if you want to visit or something like that.

For flipping guys, you tend to know right away in that initial phone call/conversation if you have a shot.

image.jpg
Hmmmm looks like BC missed the only two good players

So this week at 7 on 7's Shy's team QB arm got soar ( somthing I believe will be a year long problem) so shy says to the coach I can play QB and proceeds to throw a 35 yard pass to the 1 yard line. I was standing close enough to the coach to hear him say "huh" "really" and had shy throw some more. That brings us to this weekend where shy will be playing in the under armour regional 7 on 7's. I don't think the Qb will make it through the day let alone the season. I m getting a little worried Shy will end up playing qb this year. The only qb's they have are freshman. One hasn't been to the workouts or 7on7's the other is primarily a base ball pitcher that is their plan as starting qb. He is pretty small for varsity football and he has elbow problems that force him to sit out a lot when throwing. I'm sure shy would live to play 98 percent of the snaps but I am worried

So this week at 7 on 7's Shy's team QB arm got soar ( somthing I believe will be a year long problem) so shy says to the coach I can play QB and proceeds to throw a 35 yard pass to the 1 yard line. I was standing close enough to the coach to hear him say "huh" "really" and had shy throw some more. That brings us to this weekend where shy will be playing in the under armour regional 7 on 7's. I don't think the Qb will make it through the day let alone the season. I m getting a little worried Shy will end up playing qb this year. The only qb's they have are freshman. One hasn't been to the workouts or 7on7's the other is primarily a base ball pitcher that is their plan as starting qb. He is pretty small for varsity football and he has elbow problems that force him to sit out a lot when throwing. I'm sure shy would live to play 98 percent of the snaps but I am worried

How good is his offensive line?