Old Ticket Prices | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Old Ticket Prices

Okay here is one example.

Say that the team is projected to win nine games in 2017.

And 3,000 fans buy seats in the 200 level for $35 per game.

And for whatever reason the team loses the first six games and the season is lost.

So, the University announces that the 200 level seats will go for $10 per game.

What does the school do for the fans who bought the same tickets for $35 per game??

You can't treat different fans differently based upon performance on the field during the season.
now fwiw i think it would be a bad idea here because people would just wait. there's no need to buy early, it's not going to sell out.

people pay a premium to guarantee their spot got on a flight. that guarantee is pretty worthless here.

i think they need to lower prices early.

Okay here is one example.

Say that the team is projected to win nine games in 2017.

And 3,000 fans buy seats in the 200 level for $35 per game.

And for whatever reason the team loses the first six games and the season is lost.

So, the University announces that the 200 level seats will go for $10 per game.

What does the school do for the fans who bought the same tickets for $35 per game??

You can't treat different fans differently based upon performance on the field during the season.

Have you ever purchased an item that went on sale 2 months later?

How about a car with no rebate in August and now in September there’s $3500 rebate? Such is life.

Have you ever purchased an item that went on sale 2 months later?

How about a car with no rebate in August and now in September there’s $3500 rebate? Such is life.

Using that logic, I gather you feel that University should increase tickets prices during the season when the team plays better than expected?

I cannot recall of a sports franchise raising or lowering ticket prices - in-season - based upon team performance.

Syracuse University has given tickets away at times for military families. This year students were given free tickets. But I can pretty much assure you that it will not raise or lower ticket prices based upon the perceived demand for tickets.

You don't reduce the prices of tickets to draw fans - it won't work. You end up discounting your own product and you effectively reduce demand. Free tickets would not change anything. They have tried that at Temple University and it doesn't work - it simply establishes the lack of value of the product.

The prices of SU Football tickets are in today's market very, very low. And the prices of the tickets is not the problem.

The only way to increase attendance is to win.

Exactly, where I live, the Kansas City Royals have implemented dynamic pricing for single game tickets for at least the past two seasons.

Interesting.

Of course it is major league baseball and it does involve 81 games per year.

How does it work exactly?

I went to the KC Royals website. The ticket prices are listed. There is no mention that season ticket prices or single game prices will be reduced or increased during the season based upon team performance.

The season tickets appear to range from $15.00 per game to nearly $260.00 per game.

I have a full Phillies season ticket - 81 games. I have to pay the list price - there is no haggling or discounting. I do receive different prices on a single game basis for different teams. For example, Mets tickets and Cubs tickets cost more than Marlins tickets. But the average price per ticket over the course of 81 games I think remains the same.

And I have never been advised that during the season a ticket price will be reduced or increased.

Last edited:
airlines do it

Very good.

Lets run a sports franchise like American Airlines.

Should we charge extra for napkins with your hot dog?

Or should we charge for hanging your coat in the winter months?

Should we cancel games if not enough tickets are sold?

Millhouse - You might be the first person I know who has urged that other businesses be run like the airline business!

Very good.

Lets run a sports franchise like American Airlines.

Should we charge extra for napkins with your hot dog?

Or should we charge for hanging your coat in the winter months?

Should we cancel games if not enough tickets are sold?

Millhouse - You might be the first person I know who has urged that other businesses be run like the airline business!
i'm not advocating that they run it like an airline, i'm just saying that some industries do that. (you probably responded before getting to my other post about it - i would've jumped all over that too)

colleges give people admissions discounts who fill empty seats at the last minute. (I took big advantage of that for grad school)

how about broadway shows, maybe that is a better example. you get a discount buying same day but you pay big to see Hamilton because you know there won't be same day tix available.

i want to reduce capacity to try to get people to stop waiting until the last minute.

Interesting.

I went to the KC Royals website. The ticket prices are listed. There is no mention that season ticket prices or single game prices will be reduced or increased during the season based upon team performance.

The season tickets appear to range from $15.00 per game to nearly $260.00 per game.

I have a full Phillies season ticket - 81 games. I have to pay the list price - there is no haggling or discounting. I do receive different prices on a single game basis for different teams. For example, Mets tickets and Cubs tickets cost more than Marlins tickets. But the average price per ticket over the course of 81 games I think remains the same.

And I have never been advised that during the season a ticket price will be reduced or increased.

I only go to a couple Royals games each year, so I'm admittedly not an expert. But this page might be able to answer some of your questions.

Dynamic Pricing Information

And as this article illustrates, it may also backfire if you misread how much you think the customer will pay. It's an article from 2014 and says the Royals had already been doing dynamic pricing for a year so they have been doing it longer than I remembered.

'Dynamic Pricing' May Be To Blame For Empty Seats At Kauffman Stadium

Interesting.

Just google "dynamic pricing in sports". There are several organizations that utilize variable pricing. A quarter of the NFL did so last year.

Dynamic ticket pricing makes successful debut in NFL

Millhouse said:
now fwiw i think it would be a bad idea here because people would just wait. there's no need to buy early, it's not going to sell out. people pay a premium to guarantee their spot got on a flight. that guarantee is pretty worthless here. i think they need to lower prices early.

And why have the airlines been able to do this? It's because they have reduced capacity compared to years ago and operate at near record load factors.

Translation: reduce capacity to $44k. Average 40k+ a game and introduce dynamic pricing.

OrangePA said:
Interesting. Of course it is major league baseball and it does involve 81 games per year. How does it work exactly? I went to the KC Royals website. The ticket prices are listed. There is no mention that season ticket prices or single game prices will be reduced or increased during the season based upon team performance. The season tickets appear to range from $15.00 per game to nearly $260.00 per game. I have a full Phillies season ticket - 81 games. I have to pay the list price - there is no haggling or discounting. I do receive different prices on a single game basis for different teams. For example, Mets tickets and Cubs tickets cost more than Marlins tickets. But the average price per ticket over the course of 81 games I think remains the same. And I have never been advised that during the season a ticket price will be reduced or increased.

FWIW ... The Cleveland Indians have had this same dynamic structure in place for 2-3 years as well.

OrangePA said:
Very good. Lets run a sports franchise like American Airlines. Should we charge extra for napkins with your hot dog? Or should we charge for hanging your coat in the winter months? Should we cancel games if not enough tickets are sold? Millhouse - You might be the first person I know who has urged that other businesses be run like the airline business!

Airlines have figured out how to be profitable. He might be on to something.

Not sure how accurate online calculators are but from the one I found:

2002 $140 would be $187.50 today.

2003 $185 would be $245 today. However there were 7 games, all of which were FBS games. If you take away 2 OOC FBS games and add in an FCS game, the price goes down to $150-$155 which is $200-$205 today.

2004 $160 would be $205 today. However there were only 5 games so you need to add an FCS game. That puts the price up to about $175 which is $225 today.

Tickets were a steal in 2002. In 2003 they were cheaper than today. In 2004 they were about the same as today. However demand has gone well down and the product is a lot worse. That should drive prices down not have the 2004 price be the same as the 2016 price.

So much for sarcasm...that's too much substance. You'll have to wait until after spring ball to give me a chance to digest all of this...in the meantime, please accept a head nod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom