Old vs New | Syracusefan.com

Old vs New

TBCuse11

Starter
I know I harp on this alot and people love to disagree, but people like West and Gulley have been recruited over. Cite small sample size if you will, but Ervin Phillips looks legit. He did more in one drive than PTG did in 6 quarters, if u take away that one run. The WR we are targeting in game are also NOT west. This is a good thing by the way and we look much much better today. The future is bright... we have talent now. It's a nice change.

PTG needs to run north to south. I'm tired of him trying to do too much and get nothing from it.

better point -- we have many decent weapons, new and old, including Moore, Cornelius, Custis. Lots of depth. Any real stars other than Hunt? Maybe Philips will be one.

Some people always like the new guy better. Gulley over Smith. Then it was Morris as the new guy. McFarlene was next. Now Erv. We have a tin of weapons. I think the coaches can figure out which ones are best in which packages. As to the WR, we used all of them in the 1st half. None have been recruited over. As to West, I might be wrong but thought I saw him limp off early. Haven't seen him since. But we aren't targeting anyone. We've had at least 9 guys catch passes. Why would we go to West in game one where he led the team in receptions, then 2 weeks later decide he's a scrub? We wouldn't.

There's no sense in risking to the top guys while dominating both ends of the game. Erv looked good, but my bet is that they were resting guys up for the gauntlet coming up. Either way, it's a good problem to have.

Use the hot hand and who matches up better vs the opposing defense. A lot of different styles.

Some people always like the new guy better. Gulley over Smith. Then it was Morris as the new guy. McFarlene was next. Now Erv. We have a tin of weapons. I think the coaches can figure out which ones are best in which packages. As to the WR, we used all of them in the 1st half. None have been recruited over. As to West, I might be wrong but thought I saw him limp off early. Haven't seen him since. But we aren't targeting anyone. We've had at least 9 guys catch passes. Why would we go to West in game one where he led the team in receptions, then 2 weeks later decide he's a scrub? We wouldn't.

I think I am the only on who didn't catch a pass. I count 12.

upload_2014-9-13_15-32-28.png

This whole concept of "recruiting over" is bunk- every coach at this level is trying to create as much competition and depth on the roster as possible. We've lacked quality depth for years and I'm glad we finally are pulling in talent than can actually play major college football past the two-deep. It's been a while but slowly but surely we're transforming our roster back into a legit, entertaining group to watch play.

This whole concept of "recruiting over" is bunk- every coach at this level is trying to create as much competition and depth on the roster as possible. We've lacked quality depth for years and I'm glad we finally are pulling in talent than can actually play major college football past the two-deep. It's been a while but slowly but surely we're transforming our roster back into a legit, entertaining group to watch play.
It is a legit term. Doesn't mean it is a bad thing as you point out - unless you are the one being recruited over! If kids who do not have 4 year guaranteed schollies (almost all) were allowed to transfer without sitting out it might be more fair to them.

It is a legit term. Doesn't mean it is a bad thing as you point out - unless you are the one being recruited over! If kids who do not have 4 year guaranteed schollies (almost all) were allowed to transfer without sitting out it might be more fair to them.
Crusty I was a four year athlete in college and my coaches tried to recruit over every player, every year, including me. I didn't like it when it was done to me, but there's nothing unfair about it. If you didn't like it, work harder, play better. There's nothing more fair than honest competition and it brought out the best in us as individuals. I didn't blame any of my coaches for wanting to put the best possible product on the field, their jobs were on the line, and as a fan I want to see the best players we can get.

I wonder if we will play this many guys once we hit ACC play (or even next week against Maryland) or if we are trying to figure out our best packages and players?

Gulley didn't look "recruited over" in the Pinstripe Bowl. Or when he went 65 vs. Villanova.

Gulley didn't look "recruited over" in the Pinstripe Bowl. Or when he went 65 vs. Villanova.
you could have run thru that hole and scored untouched in the Nova game.

Crusty I was a four year athlete in college and my coaches tried to recruit over every player, every year, including me. I didn't like it when it was done to me, but there's nothing unfair about it. If you didn't like it, work harder, play better. There's nothing more fair than honest competition and it brought out the best in us as individuals. I didn't blame any of my coaches for wanting to put the best possible product on the field, their jobs were on the line, and as a fan I want to see the best players we can get.

This is kind of the point of my initial post. Its good that we are getting better at recruiting to the point where our young guys are the most talented. four years ago when guys like West and PTG were signed on, we were at the very beginning stages of our ascend. now, we are a top 40 program. we will get better players. its just how it goes.

my eye test tells me West is not a top 5 WR for us. if someone disagrees, thats fine too.

I wonder if we will play this many guys once we hit ACC play (or even next week against Maryland) or if we are trying to figure out our best packages and players?

I think its the latter. Plus trying to get some younger, less experienced players some developmental playing time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom