Old vs New | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Old vs New

I know I harp on this alot and people love to disagree, but people like West and Gulley have been recruited over. Cite small sample size if you will, but Ervin Phillips looks legit. He did more in one drive than PTG did in 6 quarters, if u take away that one run. The WR we are targeting in game are also NOT west. This is a good thing by the way and we look much much better today. The future is bright... we have talent now. It's a nice change.

I think that's right.

The talent in this last class is clearly a step up.

Kids like Phillips, Franklin, Custis, Ishmael and Thomas are playing because they are better not because they are needed.

I think I am the only on who didn't catch a pass. I count 12.

View attachment 24016

you arent the only one who didnt... West is not on there either. Maybe the staff is starting to get it. And sadly neither is Funderburke. That kid... is he even still on the roster? What a shame he never got it together.

Too me our offense started to wake up in the third quarter when Morris and McFar were in the game. I think McFar had a catch and a carry for a first then Morris had back to back carries for a first including one where he hurdled someone. I think after that Hunt got comfortable and our medium routes started getting open...

Personally I think Morris or McFar should start. AAM is our short yardage goal-line back and PTG should go back to the role he was good in last year as a third down back. I would like to see what Morris or McFar can do with the lion share of the carries.

Too me our offense started to wake up in the third quarter when Morris and McFar were in the game. I think McFar had a catch and a carry for a first then Morris had back to back carries for a first including one where he hurdled someone. I think after that Hunt got comfortable and our medium routes started getting open...

Personally I think Morris or McFar should start. AAM is our short yardage goal-line back and PTG should go back to the role he was good in last year as a third down back. I would like to see what Morris or McFar can do with the lion share of the carries.

I really think Erv should be the 3rd down back. He is our most elusive RB.

Good discussion on Bud and the Manchild about how quick or freshmen backs always seem to look. Then, as they mature, they bulk up and seem to get slower. I think it's because, with the one running back set, they are required to be a combination of what a fullback and a halfback used to be. They bulk up so they can run between the tackles and pick up blitzes for the quarterback. If we retained the two back look, a guy like Phillips could retain his speed and elusiveness while a guy like Moore would carry the load inside.

Last edited:
This is kind of the point of my initial post. Its good that we are getting better at recruiting to the point where our young guys are the most talented. four years ago when guys like West and PTG were signed on, we were at the very beginning stages of our ascend. now, we are a top 40 program. we will get better players. its just how it goes.

my eye test tells me West is not a top 5 WR for us. if someone disagrees, thats fine too.
Yeah I guess I'm not sure what the expression "recruited over" means, like its some sort of revelation that coaches are always looking to improve talent. I take it as a given that improving talent across the board is the goal of every staff, every year.

Yeah I guess I'm not sure what the expression "recruited over" means, like its some sort of revelation that coaches are always looking to improve talent. I take it as a given that improving talent across the board is the goal of every staff, every year.
recruiting over is when your RB is Thurman Thomas...and you recruit Barry Sanders to take his spot.

but Thurman works his arse off and keeps Barry on the bench for 2 years.

The new kids are more talented than the old kids, I don't think there's any question about that (at least in my opinion - that's why they're playing so early).

But anyone who plays sports knows that as you get older, you learn a few tricks of the trade, get stronger, know the playbook better, and all of those things combined will allow you to play ahead of a younger kid that has more talent.

Some people always like the new guy better. Gulley over Smith. Then it was Morris as the new guy. McFarlene was next. Now Erv. We have a tin of weapons. I think the coaches can figure out which ones are best in which packages. As to the WR, we used all of them in the 1st half. None have been recruited over. As to West, I might be wrong but thought I saw him limp off early. Haven't seen him since. But we aren't targeting anyone. We've had at least 9 guys catch passes. Why would we go to West in game one where he led the team in receptions, then 2 weeks later decide he's a scrub? We wouldn't.

I don't think anyone ever said they would prefer Gulley over Smith. I still think Morris and McFarlane can be solid RBs, and I think Erv can be a part of that grouping.

This must be a feeling out process by the coaching staff to see who is worthy of playing when we get into conference play - that or they plan on playing 8 WRs on a regular basis throughout the season, which I think is a mistake.

recruiting over is when your RB is Thurman Thomas...and you recruit Barry Sanders to take his spot.

but Thurman works his arse off and keeps Barry on the bench for 2 years.
The problem with all this "recruiting over" nonsense is that none of these coaches know exactly what they are getting in a recruit. Some prospects have more potential than others but what coaches are trying to create is an ever higher level of competition. The playing time sorts itself out once the players get on campus and in the system. The term "recruiting over" should be discarded as it does not reflect what actually happens when a younger player surpasses an older one for playing time.

I think we should shoot them.

original.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom