One more Andrew White jumper | Syracusefan.com

One more Andrew White jumper

What else is he supposed to wait for? Other than Lydon and an open Battle 3 - our halfcourt offense is non existent.
Simply shoot the ball a foot or 2 back. You're odds of making the 3 are about the same as a 19 footer. You might as well try for the extra point. I have no problem with him shooting. It's where he's shooting from. This isn't brain science.

A lot of people defend White by asking where our offense would be without him.

That doesn't mean he has to take stupid shots. Aside from no-effort guys, the players I find it most difficult to root for are the guys who regularly take 0% shots. No patience at all for defended jumpers early in the clock, shots with heels on the three-point line, or running heaves fading from the basket. Good basketball players have some situational awareness and know that passing up a bad shot is more likely to get them a bucket later on.

A lot of people defend White by asking where our offense would be without him.

That doesn't mean he has to take stupid shots. Aside from no-effort guys, the players I find it most difficult to root for are the guys who regularly take 0% shots. No patience at all for defended jumpers early in the clock, shots with heels on the three-point line, or running heaves fading from the basket. Good basketball players have some situational awareness and know that passing up a bad shot is more likely to get them a bucket later on.
This is pretty much the exact argument I used to make with GMac.

It's why my patience is limited for the Flynns, McNamaras, and Cooneys in our program. Bad shots are turnovers. Give me a guy with some discrimination in his offensive game any day.
Amen

We can't be picky with our looks. I feel like AW3 catches it in a tough spot and needs 1 dribble to get free - which leads him to that long 2 - it's not ideal but he's shootin a decent percentage on it and it's not like we are getting many better looks this year

We can't be picky with our looks. I feel like AW3 catches it in a tough spot and needs 1 dribble to get free - which leads him to that long 2 - it's not ideal but he's shootin a decent percentage on it and it's not like we are getting many better looks this year
Shooting a 3 instead of taking a dribble inside the 3 pt line and immediately pulling up for a contested, long 2 isn't picky. It's not being stupid.

Say what you want about white but you gotta admit he's money once the game is out of reach

Exactly right. He compiles stats when the game is decided. Then we all say 'but he's our leading scorer, we have to keep feeding him.' When the reality is, all offense must go through Lydon.

Nebraska basketball has run into a tough patch of late with injuries and some last second losses--which are the difference between the front of the Big Ten pack and a season on the ropes. And, in such situations, we can't help but wonder what might have been with the maturity and scoring of Mr. White--had he stayed.
But I thought you might get a kick out of this explanation, by Coach Miles, of a recruit we have coming in next season:

Nebraska basketball has run into a tough patch of late with injuries and some last second losses--which are the difference between the front of the Big Ten pack and a season on the ropes. And, in such situations, we can't help but wonder what might have been with the maturity and scoring of Mr. White--had he stayed.
But I thought you might get a kick out of this explanation, by Coach Miles, of a recruit we have coming in next season:

Unicorn<Shooting Star<4 leaf clover<Nebraska hoops fan

Losing Morrow was a killer after the great conference start.

Last edited:
Exactly right. He compiles stats when the game is decided. Then we all say 'but he's our leading scorer, we have to keep feeding him.' When the reality is, all offense must go through Lydon.
our entire team gathers stats when the game is decided, because every game is pretty much decided by half.

It is. He needs to understand the %s though.

While a midrange jumper is the least efficient open shot you can take (other than deep threes), that doesn't mean you shouldn't shoot it, regardless of the shot clock. An open midrange jumper is a better shot than a strongly contested shot near the rim and better than a decently contested 3, percentage-wise.

It's why my patience is limited for the Flynns, McNamaras, and Cooneys in our program. Bad shots are turnovers. Give me a guy with some discrimination in his offensive game any day.

So you'd prefer Ennis over Flynn? I doubt you intended it that way, but that's the argument you just made.

So you'd prefer Ennis over Flynn? I doubt you intended it that way, but that's the argument you just made.

You got me there. I'd have to think on it more, though.

Wasn't Andrew White supposed to be a well-rounded player coming from Nebraska?

Must be fun playing with him in pickup, one pass and a chuck from 30 feet...

Cooney gets the benefit of the doubt in this case because of his heart and heroic performances 5 games a year...Cooney brought so many intangibles

PS we could have used him against Notre Dame this year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom