One more reason to hate country music. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One more reason to hate country music.

Why can't the university get a hold of these state fair/live nation/ampitheater/whatever jackwagons and not have them schedule some massive superstar country act on the first night of the Dino Babers era? Are you kidding me right now?
Maybe it's because the New York State Fair doesn't have to answer to Syracuse University? AND has to schedule according to the performers' availability? :rolleyes:

orange79 said:
Maybe it's because the New York State Fair doesn't have to answer to Syracuse University? AND has to schedule according to the performers' availability? :rolleyes:

Hence my post. The only leverage Syracuse has is winning. Fill the dome and maybe they will think twice.

Right. Zac Brown Band isn't really country like you say and they are decent. A group like The Punch Brothers are freaking amazing and not country as well. Sort of experimental bluegrass/folk with lots of jazz roots. Modern country isn't music. It's garbage.
love the Punch Brothers - Chris Thile is probably the world's greatest mandolin player - don't think I've ever seen anyone do what he does.
from Bill Monroe to Bach - incredible

love the Punch Brothers - Chris Thile is probably the world's greatest mandolin player - don't think I've ever seen anyone do what he does.
from Bill Monroe to Bach - incredible

Yup. He hosts now for GK on A Prairie Home Companion. My brother jams with those guys, Edgar Meyer, etc. He works in a certain ensemble with Edgar Meyer's wife in Nashville/Vandy.

LETS play an away game Labor Day weekend___________lets say. Army, Navy or Air Force

It would be nice if the county and SU worked together, heck even provide a package so they compliment and helped each other not compete against each other. The issue is that outside interests - the artists' availability and tv's ultimate control over scheduling, would trump any local efforts to co-ordinate.

The fact is there are a lot more people living in CNY who care about country music than there are people who care about SU Football.
Which is why a sold out country concert will have roughly half as many people as the average SU football game? I think you're wrong. very wrong.

Part of the MegaTicket...

Lakeview Amphitheater 2016 concert schedule
  • June 24: Rascal Flatts
  • July 15: Jason Aldean
  • Aug. 6: Dierks Bentley
  • Aug. 25: Keith Urban
  • Sept. 2: "Surprise superstar" country act (Florida Georgia Line?)

Why can't the university get a hold of these state fair/live nation/ampitheater/whatever jackwagons and not have them schedule some massive superstar country act on the first night of the Dino Babers era? Are you kidding me right now?

Yeah that Colgate game between the Fair and this concert will be played in front of very few people. Almost makes ya wonder if they should move the game to Thursday night

One way to avoid this problem (I am not sure it is actually a problem), is to build the new dome at the fairgrounds.;)

I am not sure that 25K of country music fans will have any effect on the fball attendance more than compared to 100K that was at the state fair. it might tip the needle 3-5K if that. what percentage of the avg syracuse people really care about SU football to go to a game? we avg 30K and there are 500-750K in the local area. there will also be the colgate factor and the new coach factor.. it may come down to how the school hypes the event. if they work some deal with the state fair to get tickets to both it might help too.

I loathe country music to until I went and saw zac brown and what’s his name, shiny teeth guy, and holy ship the amount of scantily clad hot women everywhere was astonishing. Swarms of them. Sold.

Zac Brown Band by the way was pretty impressive. He gets lumped in with country but he’s not really. Maybe more in the vein of southern rock but very eclectic though. Wide range of music and styles. Any band with 8 or 9 members playing multiple instruments is ok by me.

I was told the same thing about the hot girls. I have seen Jason Aldean, Jake Owen, and Faith Hill's husband in Raleigh and Charlotte and walked away unimpressed. Maybe my standards are too high and I've out kicked my coverage too many times but just because you put a 6 or 7 in boots and Daisy Dukes doesn't change the fact she is still 6 or 7. The show in Charlotte the girl I was dating that bought my ticket was the hottest one there.

Well since they don't even have an act booked yet for Sept 2, it's just a placeholder, i'm guessing part 2 of your statement is completely without merit. As for the 1st part, you're right they don't have to, but they could, and they didn't, so I said something. Save the smug eyeroll huh?

Well since they don't even have an act booked yet for Sept 2, it's just a placeholder, i'm guessing part 2 of your statement is completely without merit. As for the 1st part, you're right they don't have to, but they could, and they didn't, so I said something. Save the smug eyeroll huh?
Suggesting that the University somehow strong-arm the 'jackwagons' at the State Fair/Live Nation makes no logical sense. With regard to my 1st statement, I am right - they don't have to. And you are wrong - they could not. If you think the State Fair of NY and Ticketmaster/Live Nation is going to let SU push them around in terms of State Fair dates, I don't know what to tell you. And in terms of part 2, do you really think that just because an act has not been announced that there is not something in place to have a specific act on a specific date? If you do, then I can tell you that's not how the touring world works. These acts do not contact the venues and ask, "Hey - when can we play there?"

I was told the same thing about the hot girls. I have seen Jason Aldean, Jake Owen, and Faith Hill's husband in Raleigh and Charlotte and walked away unimpressed. Maybe my standards are too high and I've out kicked my coverage too many times but just because you put a 6 or 7 in boots and Daisy Dukes doesn't change the fact she is still 6 or 7. The show in Charlotte the girl I was dating that bought my ticket was the hottest one there.
Pics or it didn't happen. :eat popcorn:

Suggesting that the University somehow strong-arm the 'jackwagons' at the State Fair/Live Nation makes no logical sense. With regard to my 1st statement, I am right - they don't have to. And you are wrong - they could not. If you think the State Fair of NY and Ticketmaster/Live Nation is going to let SU push them around in terms of State Fair dates, I don't know what to tell you. And in terms of part 2, do you really think that just because an act has not been announced that there is not something in place to have a specific act on a specific date? If you do, then I can tell you that's not how the touring world works. These acts do not contact the venues and ask, "Hey - when can we play there?"
So does everything have to be forced in your world? I live in a world of compromise and there is no reason the two couldn't work together to create some type of package deal. I never said SU is going to strong arm them and push them around. Give me a break. Your touring knowledge is obviously superior, but I ask, why don't the other venues holding the country mega ticket, i.e. SPAC and Darien Lake, have no unannounced set dates like we do. Is it because those acts are actually booked already? Stop being so condescending too, of course I don't think people call and say we wanna play there like some type of garage band. The very very very simple fact is that SU needs to boost attendance, and having a Friday night season opener the same night as some pop-country act is a recipe for disaster. I expect 25k for Colgate, no more, and frankly that is crap.

I am a huge country music fan and I love the newer country rock. I am also a huge SU football fan and I will be at the game. I just have my priorities.

I love how people on this board bash all kinds of music but then Phish comes up and it's treated with the utmost reverence. I prefer to stay away from hippy garbage that can only be enjoyed after ingesting a handful of shrooms. 45 minute jam sesh? Excuse me while I stick these q-tips as far into my ears as I possibly can.