Onuaku says SU never recruited him... | Syracusefan.com

Onuaku says SU never recruited him...

Very odd. Sounds like he felt rejected by SU and after this game where he played so well against us, he could afford to be triumphant and "spill the beans." I wonder if our coaches will comment?

It happens. Few commented before today so I guess it was not so obvious before.

Odd part of this story is that it contains no response from the Syracuse coaches. I vaguely remember hearing that he said he didn't want to attend SU because he wanted to be his own person ... and not just "Arinze's baby brother:" Wonder what the real story is.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...98d696dfff#cmpid=nsltr_morestry2button_single

I thought the same but don't remember where or when I heard that. It was a very strange to write the story without calling a coach to get their take. I'm guessing it went something like this:

Donna: I just wrote story about how Syracuse didn't recruit Onuaku. Care to make a comment I could add to the end.

Assistant Coach: In the beginning we talked to him and he said he wanted to be his own man and go somewhere different.

Donna: So I already wrote this crappy fluff piece and it's over 200 words. So I'm just going to go with it.

I always get the vibe that JB doesn't just dislike Donna but straight up hates her when he talks to her during pressers. To point I begin to cringe when I hear her ask him a question. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and there's nothing there.

Odd part of this story is that it contains no response from the Syracuse coaches. I vaguely remember hearing that he said he didn't want to attend SU because he wanted to be his own person ... and not just "Arinze's baby brother:" Wonder what the real story is.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...98d696dfff#cmpid=nsltr_morestry2button_single

Took a look back at the old recruiting thread about him and it looks like SU's staff just didn't recruit him. A few people made the same comment you did but I couldn't find him saying it. It seems to be just speculation. Also the 2014 class that got brought in was very small only two people. SU had limited scholarships available in 14 due to the big 13 class. Ennis unexpected exit left SU needing a PG more then a big because CM was already committed.

I always get the vibe that JB doesn't just dislike Donna but straight up hates her when he talks to her during pressers. To point I begin to cringe when I hear her ask him a question. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and there's nothing there.
No sure but I like Donna's work. She seems to be in the minority of reporters that does not ask questions just to get a rise out of Boeheim or get under his skin. She asks legit questions and writes fair stories.