Opinions Welcome | Syracusefan.com

Opinions Welcome

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
Is there any way that JB recruits a few players that'd fit Hop's system in his final years at the helm? Or will JB and Hop run similar styles of offense/defense? I'd imagine Hop does more M2M and pressing

Is there any way that JB recruits a few players that'd fit Hop's system in his final years at the helm? Or will JB and Hop run similar styles of offense/defense? I'd imagine Hop does more M2M and pressing
I see what you're doing, trying to sneak in zone vs man argument. Well played.

I see what you're doing. Trying to sneak in zone vs man argument. Well played.
Honest! I was just trying to see if there's any known contrast in their styles. M2M vs. zone arguments should be left at the door.

Seriously, I think Hop is going to run pretty much the same base defense of 2-3 zone. He will have players tailored for that system. He's worked in it his whole career. It would be a mistake to dump it. I do expect more pro-active pressing, and regardless of the base defense, we'll have the depth and athleticism to do it, just like we do right now.

If we wanted to be a man team, we'd probably have to recruit at least 1 or 2 smaller, quicker guards. You can't have all big guys 6-4+ and expect them to be able to cover waterbug types of guards.

I will say I found it interesting that in Obokohs article he said I'm excited to play for coach Boeheim and Hopkins. I may be reading into it too much but it was almost like he knew Hopkins would be his head coach at some point within the 4-5 years he's here. Either way, I'd be surprised if as Boeheims tenure doesn't start to reach the end he doesn't give Hopkins more and more influence or say on who the program recruits and brings in, as they'll be Hopkins players and his program. Only time will tell tho about playing styles. The answer probably won't be known until about 5-10 years into Hopkins career as head coach.

I highly doubt JB steps back in that way, one little bit. That is not his style. It will be all or nothing. He will be full steam ahead one day, and then he will slip quietly into the night. While it is his job, he will give it his all.

Having said that, I am willing to bet that all the coaches have significant input into the players, from the time they gain JB's confidence in their evaluation skills. It certainly hasn't seemed to take Autry long to get highly involved.

Hop has been recruiting for a long time. I doubt JB disagrees with his judgement, much, if at all. Therefore, there isn't likely any need for JB to give Hop any more influence.

Also, as far as the comments regarding man vs. zone, I would be surprised if Hop changed that formula that he knows so well. I expect you will start to see a few tweaks around about yrs 3-4, but they will probably be minor.

I see a few people saying they expect that Hop will run more full court press or more of this or that, but seriously what basis do we have for making those assessments. Hops never had a team of his own where we could say what he is doing is his style. You'd have to assume that having played for JB, coached with JB and basically been under JB's wing for more than 20 years he has probably bought into the system by now.

I think that JB calls the shots with recruiting as he does with everything SU bball until he finally calls it a day. (I hope that is still plenty of years away) He deligates and trusts his guys but they are still working under his direction.

As far as Hopkins style of coaching I'd expect he picks up were JB left off and runs much the same system to start maybe stressing certain parts more or less to his personality and preference.. That system is what he has learned over the years, it will be what the players know and what the incoming players were recruited for. Then as he goes along he will evolve his own coaching style little by little. he will certainly change things over time just like JB has.

Seriously, I think Hop is going to run pretty much the same base defense of 2-3 zone. He will have players tailored for that system. He's worked in it his whole career. It would be a mistake to dump it. I do expect more pro-active pressing, and regardless of the base defense, we'll have the depth and athleticism to do it, just like we do right now.

If we wanted to be a man team, we'd probably have to recruit at least 1 or 2 smaller, quicker guards. You can't have all big guys 6-4+ and expect them to be able to cover waterbug types of guards.
Certain teams should never be pressed. How many teams pressed us last year and won? I'd rather have JB's won loss record then Pitino's, not to mention all the injuries they get every year.

I will say I found it interesting that in Obokohs article he said I'm excited to play for coach Boeheim and Hopkins. I may be reading into it too much but it was almost like he knew Hopkins would be his head coach at some point within the 4-5 years he's here. Either way, I'd be surprised if as Boeheims tenure doesn't start to reach the end he doesn't give Hopkins more and more influence or say on who the program recruits and brings in, as they'll be Hopkins players and his program. Only time will tell tho about playing styles. The answer probably won't be known until about 5-10 years into Hopkins career as head coach.
Or the fact that Hop is the big man coach so he's going to be mostly learning from him...

Or the fact that Hop is the big man coach so he's going to be mostly learning from him...
Damn it, logic gets in the way of wild speculation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom