Orange jerseys are coming | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Orange jerseys are coming

money3189 said:
I tell u what. The uniform can look horrendous but as long as it has the Nike swish on it its all good. lol These kids love Nike

Exactly. But I could take a brand new pair of Nike sneakers and ask my kid if he wants them. He'd say hell ya, they're cool. But if I show him that pair along with another pair, he just might choose the other pair because they are cooler.

Exactly. But I could take a brand new pair of Nike sneakers and ask my kid if he wants them. He'd say hell ya, they're cool. But if I show him that pair along with another pair, he just might choose the other pair because they are cooler.

More proof! From yourself! One of those shoes is us, the others is say Michigan.

He'll see if it fits first. Then make sure they are the type of shoe that he set out to buy. Then he'll see if he likes how it looks. Maybe not even in that order.

"ESPN.com surveyed more than 700 high school recruits from the classes of 2014 and 2015 -- including 90 who self-identified as a member of the ESPN 300 for the Classes of 2014 or 2015 -- and asked them where uniforms ranked in their college decision. Uniforms were the top factor for only 3 percent of players, and uniforms ranked eighth on the list of criteria behind academics, coaching, playing time, school tradition, location, experience sending players to the NFL and television exposure."

This quote says uniforms are 8th on the list of things that matter. So if the previous 7 examples are a tie, then we go to the 8th category as a tie breaker. That's about where I'd expect uniforms to come in. If based on this, you want to say that we're winning/losing recruits over our uniforms, go right ahead. There may be a few instances where this took place. I'd call them the outliers.

A modernized uniform was once a way to distinguish yourself. Now, everyone does it and it's one big pissing contest.

TheCusian said:
They are handed as many uniforms as they have offers. They play a part in that decision. It's not "Oh - I likes the Nassib era better, I'll go to Nebraska instead" - it's "I'm weighing these 15 things about 3 schools and uniforms is one of them"... "ESPN.com surveyed more than 700 high school recruits from the classes of 2014 and 2015 -- including 90 who self-identified as a member of the ESPN 300 for the Classes of 2014 or 2015 -- and asked them where uniforms ranked in their college decision. Uniforms were the top factor for only 3 percent of players, and uniforms ranked eighth on the list of criteria behind academics, coaching, playing time, school tradition, location, experience sending players to the NFL and television exposure." They are comparing everything about the schools. It's not Nassib era vs current - it's Syracuse vs Rutgers vs Wiscy. And sometimes it's the difference: "Swagged out" uniforms not only help prospects take notice of a program, they can be a difference-maker if the recruit is struggling to choose between two relatively even programs. "If they're exactly the same, I think uniforms would push them ahead of the other school," five-star defensive end Lorenzo Carter of Norcross, Ga., said. "If I got the same feel for both schools, they're in the same type of place, then yeah, uniforms would make a difference." I'll wait for the real life proof of your opinion. Asking your kids doesn't count.

8th isn't even a blip on the screen. Learn context. They play no role. And asking my kids and their HS athlete friends along with 2 college players does count. And show me one of those recruits who was shown 2 options for SU unis. If they mean so much like you try to say, why are we using clown suits? I could do worlds better myself.

This quote says uniforms are 8th on the list of things that matter. So if the previous 7 examples are a tie, then we go to the 8th category as a tie breaker. That's about where I'd expect uniforms to come in. If based on this, you want to say that we're winning/losing recruits over our uniforms, go right ahead. There may be a few instances where this took place. I'd call them the outliers.

A modernized uniform was once a way to distinguish yourself. Now, everyone does it and it's one big pissing contest.

But that's much different than saying they don't matter at all.

Some of you have missed the point and actually changed it. I have 2 HS kids. I know all about fashion and the newest looks and kids wanting a wardrobe that they can wear something different everyday for a month. Has nothing to do with the point some here have expressed about the clown suits we've worn.
call them clown suits all you want. Not going away.

TheCusian said:
Look, rrlbees - more proof!

Proof of what? You haven't proven one thing about a recruit liking our clown suits more than a modern Nassib or McNabb uni. Keep trying though. I like pizza, but I like steak better.

8th isn't even a blip on the screen. Learn context. They play no role. And asking my kids and their HS athlete friends along with 2 college players does count. And show me one of those recruits who was shown 2 options for SU unis. If they mean so much like you try to say, why are we using clown suits? I could do worlds better myself.

Why on earth are they picking between two uni's from the same school? You keep using this as a basis for your argument - but it makes no sense. They are using it to distinguish between different schools. 8th is a blip on the screen - but you've been vehement in saying it's never played a part - in the face of actual proof.

TheCusian said:
More proof! From yourself! One of those shoes is us, the others is say Michigan. He'll see if it fits first. Then make sure they are the type of shoe that he set out to buy. Then he'll see if he likes how it looks. Maybe not even in that order.

You've lost it and I don't even know what point that post makes.

Are you drunk?
to that point, this is what you continually miss...

1st of all, that article you posted said uniforms ranked 8th...8th!!! do they even really matter when you are down to the 8th spot??

did you look at the top 7?? phew, queue the Who...the kids are alright.

a recruit saying they like the uniforms in that context and you championing it...is like a kid talking the next day about the parties and bars they were at the night before, saying something about the beer...and you going...Syracuse recruits love Labatts beer!!

based on the fact that it was being given to them free all night.

college kids...like beer.

college kids playing football...like the uniforms.

Proof of what? You haven't proven one thing about a recruit liking our clown suits more than a modern Nassib or McNabb uni. Keep trying though. I like pizza, but I like steak better.

Dear lord. I think it's all been a massive misunderstanding. I was under the impression that you were saying that uni's don't matter at all. Not that given a choice between two unis from the same school - that might lead them to choose another school!

We are in complete agreement. I don't think that's ever happened.

TheCusian said:
But that's much different than saying they don't matter at all.

8th doesn't matter.

Why on earth are they picking between two uni's from the same school? You keep using this as a basis for your argument - but it makes no sense. They are using it to distinguish between different schools. 8th is a blip on the screen - but you've been vehement in saying it's never played a part - in the face of actual proof.

I love how you left out these two quotes from that ESPN article:

"It wasn't a factor at all, but if there is a sick uniform you can sort of visualize yourself in it," Georgia tight end commitment Jeb Blazevich, the nation's No. 94 player from Charlotte (N.C.) Christian School. "You know, 'That'd be awesome.' But then you have to think, are you going to sleep in your uniform? Are you going to practice in your uniform? Or are you going to go to go to class in your uniform?

"It doesn't matter what color or number that you have on. At the end of the day when you're running down the field, all you really care about is how well you do in the game. If you're a recruit and you're thinking about picking a school because it has cool uniforms -- grow up and check your swag at the door. You're making a lifelong decision. Why are you putting it into clothes?"

The nation's No. 1 prospect, running back Leonard Fournette of New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine, agreed that uniforms pale in comparison to factors like future major, playing time and relationships with coaches. "All of these things go way beyond uniforms," Fournette said.

So is the importance of uniforms in the recruiting process overblown? "Yes and no," River Ridge (La.) John Curtis Christian receiver Malachi Dupre, the nation's No. 26 overall player. "It is and it isn't a big deal and a part of recruiting. I don't think many recruits will say that uniforms are more important than being with a good coach or getting a great education. If that's the case, then I don't know what they're thinking about. They probably don't have the right mindset. But I know recruits definitely want to look sweet."

You've lost it and I don't even know what point that post makes.

Your kid would make a choice, all things being equal, on design alone - and you don't see the point? You've lost it.

money3189 said:
call them clown suits all you want. Not going away.

And that's a shame because we're better than that. Listening to the media and reading articles mocking our unis last year, you would think we'd learn.

I love how you left out these two quotes from that ESPN article:

"It wasn't a factor at all, but if there is a sick uniform you can sort of visualize yourself in it," Georgia tight end commitment Jeb Blazevich, the nation's No. 94 player from Charlotte (N.C.) Christian School. "You know, 'That'd be awesome.' But then you have to think, are you going to sleep in your uniform? Are you going to practice in your uniform? Or are you going to go to go to class in your uniform?

"It doesn't matter what color or number that you have on. At the end of the day when you're running down the field, all you really care about is how well you do in the game. If you're a recruit and you're thinking about picking a school because it has cool uniforms -- grow up and check your swag at the door. You're making a lifelong decision. Why are you putting it into clothes?"

The nation's No. 1 prospect, running back Leonard Fournette of New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine, agreed that uniforms pale in comparison to factors like future major, playing time and relationships with coaches. "All of these things go way beyond uniforms," Fournette said.

So is the importance of uniforms in the recruiting process overblown? "Yes and no," River Ridge (La.) John Curtis Christian receiver Malachi Dupre, the nation's No. 26 overall player. "It is and it isn't a big deal and a part of recruiting. I don't think many recruits will say that uniforms are more important than being with a good coach or getting a great education. If that's the case, then I don't know what they're thinking about. They probably don't have the right mindset. But I know recruits definitely want to look sweet."

I linked to the full article. I know what it said. I thought about using those same quotes to prove my point.

Bees has said they don't matter at all. Now he says being 8th on the list doesn't count. They do matter.

TheCusian said:

Makes perfect sense when you keep pushing that these clown suits play a role or that the kids like them. Show them a modern Nassib uni and see if they like them too. The answer would be yes. Then everyone is happy.

And that's a shame because we're better than that. Listening to the media and reading articles mocking our unis last year, you would think we'd learn.

You mean the ones where they won a UNI award? C'mon. I don't love them. But now you're cherry picking. Two current players posted tweets today with freaking heart emoji and fire emoji (and I'll decipher for the non-twitter folk - that means they are "hot").

Makes perfect sense when you keep pushing that these clown suits play a role or that the kids like them. Show them a modern Nassib uni and see if they like them too. The answer would be yes. Then everyone is happy.

That's fine. But that's you just squirming out of your original point.

Kids like new. Kids like Nike. Kids factor it in.

That's enough for me.

And for the final time: I prefer the Nassib era uni.

TheCusian said:
Your kid would make a choice, all things being equal, on design alone - and you don't see the point? You've lost it.

Yes. Meaning a recruit might say they like the SU uni, but if SU and Nike did it right, they might like that better and at worse the same. A kid saying they like a uni doesn't mean they would like it the most. Thus the steak > pizza.

TheCusian said:
I linked to the full article. I know what it said. I thought about using those same quotes to prove my point. Bees has said they don't matter at all. Now he says being 8th on the list doesn't count. They do matter.

They don't until an SU recruit selects SU because of the uni. If said recruit gets down to that 8th spot to decide, I'll concede they mean something. But they aren't ever getting there, so they mean nothing.

Yes. Meaning a recruit might say they like the SU uni, but if SU and Nike did it right, they might like that better and at worse the same. A kid saying they like a uni doesn't mean they would like it the most. Thus the steak > pizza.

You're arguing against the current uni, assuming I'm for it. That's wrong.

I've been really consistent on this:

1. Uni's matter to players and recruits.
2. It should be a tool in the AD's arsenal for making the program be the best it can be.
3. I'm hoping that the new AD is someone who uses that tool to, in your words "do it right" (Honoring the past, while making is something cool for the kids)

They don't until an SU recruit selects SU because of the uni. If said recruit gets down to that 8th spot to decide, I'll concede they mean something. But they aren't ever getting there, so they mean nothing.

I'll wait for your survey of all current and past players as well as current recruits. You must have access to this mythical report to be so sure. That's the only reasonable way you can be so sure in light of the facts as we know them publicly.