Osweiler just got called for a Dungey fumble | Syracusefan.com

Osweiler just got called for a Dungey fumble

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Only other time I've seen that play called a fumble was Dungey vs UVA.

I don't get it. If the QB's arm and hand moving forward, to me that's a pass. Otherwise, you could call a bunch of ducks downfield fumbles.

A retired ref said that he has to have control of the ball as his arm is going forward.

A retired ref said that he has to have control of the ball as his arm is going forward.
la-dee-da.gif

Or

tumblr_inline_msy23j43tl1qz4rgp.gif

Why do they have to make it way more complicated than it has to be? If it looks like a catch - it's a catch. If a QB's arm is moving forward - it's a pass - same as it's been for 50 years.

Not to mention he threw the ball 10 yards down the field.:noidea:
I keep thinking about this, and I feel like if the QB has enough control to get the ball to reasonably approximate a pass, ie, can get beyond the line of scrimmage, that's got to be considered an incomplete pass.

If a guy winds up and scuffs it and it falls two feet away from him, sure, call it a fumble.

I really, really hate that call for some reason.

this rule needs to simplified. the way it reads now if the play happened on 4th down and that ball had been caught it couldnt be advanced and that would create total chaos..

you could almost by rule knock someone out on a incomplete pass by claiming it was a fumble and how would someone 10-15 yds down field know how to play it?

make the rule simple. if the ball goes past the LOS its a pass that takes 99% of the crazy was it in your hand as you throw part away. the way the rule reads now you cant legally throw a pass if you dont have complete control but we see it all the time and its never called.

Dungeys pass in the first half should have been a fumble with this rule.. it slipped out and went way off line too.

Why do they have to make it way more complicated than it has to be? If it looks like a catch - it's a catch. If a QB's arm is moving forward - it's a pass - same as it's been for 50 years.
It's not complicated. He lost control of the ball before his hand began to come forward.

This man is "earning" an annual salary of $18,000,000. God bless Murica...

It's not complicated. He lost control of the ball before his hand began to come forward.

This man is "earning" an annual salary of $18,000,000. God bless Murica...

But it could have resulted in a completion. I guess Elway knew what he was doing.

But it could have resulted in a completion. I guess Elway knew what he was doing.
Well that's half right. Elway got kind of lucky. He's been quoted as saying, "Sometimes it's the deals you don't make." He wouldn't go above a certain number to retain him, but O could've accepted Elways offer and stayed.

these aren't even the same plays though.. one he clearly intends not to throw and its a pass, one he intends to pass and its a fumble..

they both make no sense.

Osweiller is going to go down as one of the biggest busts of recent memory in the NFL, he's freaking terrible

I still have no idea what Houston was thinking giving him all of that money. O'Brien is supposed to be this qb guru, and he has had like 56 different qb's and still can't find one.

Because if he didnt have control when his arm moved forward, the ball was fumbled prior to the pass. One cannot pass if he does not have actual possession.

Because if he didnt have control when his arm moved forward, the ball was fumbled prior to the pass. One cannot pass if he does not have actual possession.
Well let's just call it a 10 yard forward fumble using a passing motion.

you can catch a ball without actually having any possession so why not throw it..

as noted before every ball that slips as a QB throws is not ruled a fumble, when you have no control at all the ball comes out a few ft away not 15 yds. is this any different than a qb who wants to throw it 50 yds and it slips a bit and throws it 40..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom