OT - 7 Fishes...

Baccala
Insalata di mare
Shrimp
Smelt
Haddock
Scungilli
Clams

But I'm going to be with my fiancee's family this year for the first time and thus won't be enjoying any of that.

I had to google to even know what you guys were talking about. I'm not Italian in case you couldn't figure.

Reactions: cto
Baccala
Insalata di mare
Shrimp
Smelt
Haddock
Scungilli
Clams

But I'm going to be with my fiancee's family this year for the first time and thus won't be enjoying any of that.
man reading yours brings back memories. When the grands were still alive it would be much the same as what you have. Add the cod (bakkala) and freaking eel and it was complete. But I avoided it all. It was a great day in our family when (after the older ones passed on), my folks replaced that stuff with lobster, crab, and shrimp so today it is:

Shrimp Cocktail
Crab cakes
Fried shrimp
Tuna on the antipasto
Fried filet of sole
Baked orange roughy
Anchovie, langastino and Calamari infused red sauce, pasta with toasted bread crumb topping, sound gross tastes great (we never tell guest what's in it, they all love it)

So I guess that's 8. What a great day and tradition!

Baccala
Shrimp
Calamari
Haddock
Halibut
Alaskan Rock-fish (Like Sea Bass)
Scallops
Crab Cakes

and pickled Herring

Caught the Halibut and Rock-Fish this summer in Alaska and bought the Scallops off a boat on Kodiak Island.

This Irish mongrel married Italian and living the good life:

Lobster (baked & stuffed)
shrimp cocktail
baked clams
Baccala
Frutti de mare salad (with calamari, shrimp, mussels, vongole and scungilli )

MSOrange said:
I had to google to even know what you guys were talking about. I'm not Italian in case you couldn't figure.

We all cant be born perfect. I cant even fathom how non italians eat.

Shrimp
Calamari
Haddock
Smelt
Scallops
Clams
Mussels
Baked stuffed shrimp too! (my wife is Italian and I'm Irish--first introduced to the tradition in 1974. It's great.

This Irish mongrel married Italian and living the good life:

While I respect many traditions, I still find the day people want to be Irish to be more fun. To each their own!

Edit: I dont mean any disrespect for the minority of people who actually focus more on the actual intended meaning of the various traditions throughout the year.

SUGIANT said:
Ewww, Carp?

I tossed that one in just for you.

How you been buddy?

My ex mother in law made the best feast of 7 fishes. it's the only thing I miss about that debacle of a marriage. The stuffed calamari & fried shrimp were so good with a glass of Paisano. And then homemade pasticiotti with a cup or three of espresso and a side shot of Strega.

Baccala in red sauce over Ditalini. Always the first course.

Mussels in Red sauce over Spaghetti (not a staple but is for my son who loves mussels and does not like Baccala)

Octopus in Red sauce with potatoes (my staple)

Fried Calamari (family staple)

Fried Shrimp (family staple)

Fried Skate( family staple)

Lobster tails (lobster is always the last course)

Not quite 7

Shrimp
Lobster Bisque
Salmon
Clam Sauce
Anchovies

Same here. Not quite 7.

Shrimp
Scallops
Lobster Tail
Clam sauce
Calamari (raw - not my favorite)
Maybe smoked salmon this year.

And we picked up some Wegman's sushi last year.

Always wanted to do the Captain Quint fish bar:

Blue Gill
Tommy cots
Great White
Orca
Tuna
Swordfish
Barracuda

Reading this thread (except for Bees' post) makes me wish I were Italian tomorrow night (or at least invited to dinner at the home of an Italian friend).

Alaska King Crab legs - 7 pounds for 3 people. These are Flintstone sized. That's our seven (pounds of) fishes.

The real question is, how do you guys pronounce calamari?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom