OT - 7 Fishes... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - 7 Fishes...

ka-la-mar-ee is the true Italian..

Ga-la-mod is Southern Italian dialect...

Right. My family has Sicilian roots and I have always said "Ga-La-Mahd"

It's funny when I say it to a waiter in a restaurant and they look at me like I have 2 heads.

Reading this thread (except for Bees' post) makes me wish I were Italian tomorrow night (or at least invited to dinner at the home of an Italian friend).

If you are fortunate enough to get that invite cto, and they are celebrating in a true traditional Italian style, be sure to stay for the 6 or 7 or 8 course meal on Christmas day. There are not too many food events that compare to that.

Happy Holidays!

Feast of Seven Fishes at G by Mike Isabella in DC last night.
Oysters
Mussels
Prawn
Salmon
Snow Crab
Bronzino
Clams

I'd rather eat a skunks @ss. I must be the only Italian that hates seafood. Hate this tradition.
First time I heard of this was this week, my first thought was thank God I don't have this tradition in my background. My feast would have 7 kind of tacos. NO fish tacos.

For some reason, we never quite got to 7?

Smelts
Shrimp cocktail
calamari (fried and in red sauce)
Scallops
King Crab legs.

Forza Azzurri said:
ka-la-mar-ee is the true Italian.. Ga-la-mod is Southern Italian dialect...

I am as guinea as they come

Its cuh la mahd

I am as guinea as they come

Its cuh la mahd

Magari lo sei ma e' piu probabile Che tu sei Italo-Americano ed I tuoi parenti vengono dal sud.

Ed allora, tu la pronounci cosi.

Io, invece, ho vissuto a Firenze dove si parla il veto e proprio Italiano e ti posso assicurare Che, in Italiano, si pronuncia la parola ka-la-ma-ree.

Magari una scomessa?

Se hai ragione tu, io, ti compro 24 bottiglie di PBR.

Se, invece, ho ragione io, tu mi compris 24 bottiglie di Sam Adams.

Va bene?

Magari lo sei ma e' piu probabile Che tu sei Italo-Americano ed I tuoi parenti vengono dal sud.

Ed allora, tu la pronounci cosi.

Io, invece, ho vissuto a Firenze dove si parla il veto e proprio Italiano e ti posso assicurare Che, in Italiano, si pronuncia la parola ka-la-ma-ree.

Magari una scomessa?

Se hai ragione tu, io, ti compro 24 bottiglie di PBR.

Se, invece, ho ragione io, tu mi compris 24 bottiglie di Sam Adams.

Va bene?

My translation is a bit rusty but I think I get most of the message.

Calabrese yes. Not Sicilian however. Great grandparents were from Italy. Grandparents born here and so on. Ka-la-ma-ree sounds so american. Like ma-ni-co-tti. I always get a kick (having worked in the restaurant business growing up) in hearing non italians order food and how they pronounce some of the dishes.

So yes you are partially right. Did you live in Florence growing up? Why would you want Sam Adams when delicious PBR count wet your palette?

My translation is a bit rusty but I think I get most of the message.

Calabrese yes. Not Sicilian however. Great grandparents were from Italy. Grandparents born here and so on. Ka-la-ma-ree sounds so american. Like ma-ni-co-tti. I always get a kick (having worked in the restaurant business growing up) in hearing non italians order food and how they pronounce some of the dishes.

So yes you are partially right. Did you live in Florence growing up? Why would you want Sam Adams when delicious PBR count wet your palette?

When we meet, I will pronounce it with an Italian accent. It will sound nothing like what you are thinking it will sound like.

But I get your confusion because the way I spelled it phonetically is also the way an American would say it and, you are right, it sounds awful.

Lived there for 6th and 7th grade.

Shrimp, scallops, cod, swordfish, and a zuppa di pesce that has at least three or four other things in there

Based on the thread title, I thought it was a discussion about the Dolphins being favored by 7.

I'm all for hedonism, but is there an alternative to fish? I thought it was only a friday thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom