OT: A Self Indulgent Rant on the end of real local sports talk in Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

OT: A Self Indulgent Rant on the end of real local sports talk in Syracuse

OnAirCuse

Walk On
Call this narcissistic, irrelevant, or petty. Because it’s all of those things and probably more. But I loved doing radio in Syracuse both as a student and then professionally for a little less than a year at The Score 1260. It’s where I started my professional career. So I was sad today when I saw the inevitable news that they were dropping local programming in favor of the unbearable Doug Gottlieb show thus putting the final nail in the coffin for local sports talk radio in Syracuse.

Because the sad reality is, despite appearances, Syracuse no longer has local sports talk. And it’s a city that in my opinion deserves some.

Upon Further Review isn’t local sports talk because they are in bed with SU. They are paid by SU, and when you’re paid by someone, but you aren’t a big enough company to not be beholden to a single sponsor, you sacrifice creative and journalistic integrity in the process. In essence, you become a mouth piece. If you don’t know what I mean, think back to how they talked about NCAA allegations, or the toughest question you’ve heard them ask Daryl Gross or Jim Boeheim, or what their coverage of the Bernie Fine scandal was like. How can a show have a guy like Jim Boeheim, who is never shy with an opinion and seems to make news once a month, on their show once a week and never have made news outside of Syracuse with one of their interviews? The answer is they treat him with kid’s gloves so as not to make their business partner upset.

And that’s not in any way a criticism of McManus, or Neikam, or whoever else they have on the air. I went to school with both Chris and Steve and consider them friends. And I think they’re both really good radio hosts who if they want to could both get jobs in bigger markets. They just work in an environment that doesn’t allow them to do what in my opinion is real sports talk radio. They do good 4 hour commercials for Syracuse University. And sometimes commercials can be entertaining, and there are some fans who see everything through orange colored glasses and I'm sure don't mind the positive spin, so take this for what it's worth: which is just one man's opinion.

Not to mention my old station, the Score, which has become a joke since Axe left. The only evidence you need for that is they are putting Doug Gottlieb on the air in Syracuse. It’s absurd. But beyond that, they let Brian Barrett go because Mike Lindsley was a sale’s guy so he generated revenue. Have you heard, I think there are cookies for sale or a studio sponsor to mention? Bud and the Manchild buy their airtime and sell their own commercials. So they, in essence, run a sports talk radio station without paying any money. It doesn’t generate much revenue, but whatever it does, is pure profit for the station. So you can see how that would obviously affect its ability to make competent programming decisions.

I say all this because it frustrated me today reading Axe’s story on the news that Lindsley is leaving and Gottlieb is coming in. He got a statement from Lindsley and Tom Mitchell on their news, then asked Ed Levine and Chris McManus for comment. And understandably, Levine and McManus stomped on their grave and all but declared victory. If I was them, I would have done the same thing. And if I lived in Syracuse and was a fan, their station and show would now be the one I would listen to, so they've won.

The problem is, they won the race by default. No one is there to point out the many flaws and conflicts of interest they have. There is no media critic in Syracuse. Hell, there barely is a newspaper anymore in Syracuse. So they get to mock The Score, which at least for a time when they had Axe, myself, Barrett, BMC, Plavin, and other’s was making an effort to do real, local, uncompromised, sports –talk in a city with passionate sports fans that deserve it. And they now get to do it without competition.

I guess it just bums me out that the station that gave me the start in my career can no longer be considered a local sports talk station and the city I started in can no longer be considered to really have local sports talk radio.

- Danny Parkins

There's a few ironies in this whole thing.

One, Axe getting hired by the Score brought local sports talk BACK to Syracuse. Axe hit the air for 1260 back in 2008- WHEN had gone all national by then and there was no local sports talk. Now, Axe leaves and everything goes back down the drain.

Two, at a time when sports talk radio is bigger than ever (5 national sports networks? Yeesh), Syracuse radio can barely support one station. That's what happens when you give people crap.

Well said Danny. But local sports talk radio didn't die when Lindsley decided to leave and was replaced by a national sports talk show. It died when you went to Kansas City.

Be good my man.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Very true about ufr and score. Should put this on bball board so more people see it

I always posted here so that's your guys call... And bees, just for accuracy's sake, I'm in Kansas City now! Be well guys...

Danny, as you may or may not know, I have money. A lot of money. In fact, I have accountants who try to figure out where I should donate money each year just to lower my liability into a manageable range.

So, that being said, I will double whatever 610 in KC is paying you if you'll come back to Syracuse radio. I'll buyout Bud and Lerch and slide you into their slot.

I need your answer by midnight tonight because the SPCA and the Botanical society are awaiting my 2013 contributions.

I always posted here so that's your guys call... And bees, just for accuracy's sake, I'm in Kansas City now! Be well guys...

Ha. I knew that since you're a Royals guy now. Don't know why I wrote SL. Fixed it.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Call this narcissistic, irrelevant, or petty. Because it’s all of those things and probably more. But I loved doing radio in Syracuse both as a student and then professionally for a little less than a year at The Score 1260. It’s where I started my professional career. So I was sad today when I saw the inevitable news that they were dropping local programming in favor of the unbearable Doug Gottlieb show thus putting the final nail in the coffin for local sports talk radio in Syracuse.

Because the sad reality is, despite appearances, Syracuse no longer has local sports talk. And it’s a city that in my opinion deserves some.

Upon Further Review isn’t local sports talk because they are in bed with SU. They are paid by SU, and when you’re paid by someone, but you aren’t a big enough company to not be beholden to a single sponsor, you sacrifice creative and journalistic integrity in the process. In essence, you become a mouth piece. If you don’t know what I mean, think back to how they talked about NCAA allegations, or the toughest question you’ve heard them ask Daryl Gross or Jim Boeheim, or what their coverage of the Bernie Fine scandal was like. How can a show have a guy like Jim Boeheim, who is never shy with an opinion and seems to make news once a month, on their show once a week and never have made news outside of Syracuse with one of their interviews? The answer is they treat him with kid’s gloves so as not to make their business partner upset.

And that’s not in any way a criticism of McManus, or Neikam, or whoever else they have on the air. I went to school with both Chris and Steve and consider them friends. And I think they’re both really good radio hosts who if they want to could both get jobs in bigger markets. They just work in an environment that doesn’t allow them to do what in my opinion is real sports talk radio. They do good 4 hour commercials for Syracuse University. And sometimes commercials can be entertaining, and there are some fans who see everything through orange colored glasses and I'm sure don't mind the positive spin, so take this for what it's worth: which is just one man's opinion.

Not to mention my old station, the Score, which has become a joke since Axe left. The only evidence you need for that is they are putting Doug Gottlieb on the air in Syracuse. It’s absurd. But beyond that, they let Brian Barrett go because Mike Lindsley was a sale’s guy so he generated revenue. Have you heard, I think there are cookies for sale or a studio sponsor to mention? Bud and the Manchild buy their airtime and sell their own commercials. So they, in essence, run a sports talk radio station without paying any money. It doesn’t generate much revenue, but whatever it does, is pure profit for the station. So you can see how that would obviously affect its ability to make competent programming decisions.

I say all this because it frustrated me today reading Axe’s story on the news that Lindsley is leaving and Gottlieb is coming in. He got a statement from Lindsley and Tom Mitchell on their news, then asked Ed Levine and Chris McManus for comment. And understandably, Levine and McManus stomped on their grave and all but declared victory. If I was them, I would have done the same thing. And if I lived in Syracuse and was a fan, their station and show would now be the one I would listen to, so they've won.

The problem is, they won the race by default. No one is there to point out the many flaws and conflicts of interest they have. There is no media critic in Syracuse. Hell, there barely is a newspaper anymore in Syracuse. So they get to mock The Score, which at least for a time when they had Axe, myself, Barrett, BMC, Plavin, and other’s was making an effort to do real, local, uncompromised, sports –talk in a city with passionate sports fans that deserve it. And they now get to do it without competition.

I guess it just bums me out that the station that gave me the start in my career can no longer be considered a local sports talk station and the city I started in can no longer be considered to really have local sports talk radio.

- Danny Parkins
Self service

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Well put Danny.some local station is always going to have the SU contract and will have to make "concessions". The real issue is the lack of a committment of their competitors. Unfortunately all of the ad money comes with the SU contract and the local market isn't big enough to sustain competitive local programming from an ad support perspective.

It would almost take a eclectic entrepreneur who wasn't concerned with the bottom line to provide competition. If you don't pay talent you get guys always looking for a better paying gig...or, even worse, guys who can't get a better paying gig.

Just another example of the homogenization of America. During the blizzard here in Connecticut in February or Hurricane Sandy, with no electricity for part of the latter, couldn't find any local news on the battery operated radio because there really isn't a local station.

But I'm sure I could have listened to Doug Gottlieb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it normal for a University to pay a radio network? Seems odd to me.

The reason I ask is I'm wondering if there's a difference between Syracuse's Upon Further Review show on ESPN radio and Buffalo's Shopp and the Bulldog (WGR). Out here in Western NY, WGR is the "official home" of the Buffalo Sabres and Bills, yet they are relentless with their criticism of the organizations, coaches, players, etc. They don't hold back at all.

I would think if SU pays a radio network that carries Upon Further Review, that the Bills and Sabres would pay WGR to carry their programming and to be the "official home" for those teams. Yet the local shows on WGR have no problem with journalistic integrity.

Is it normal for a University to pay a radio network? Seems odd to me.

The reason I ask is I'm wondering if there's a difference between Syracuse's Upon Further Review show on ESPN radio and Buffalo's Shopp and the Bulldog (WGR). Out here in Western NY, WGR is the "official home" of the Buffalo Sabres and Bills, yet they are relentless with their criticism of the organizations, coaches, players, etc. They don't hold back at all.

I would think if SU pays a radio network that carries Upon Further Review, that the Bills and Sabres would pay WGR to carry their programming and to be the "official home" for those teams. Yet the local shows on WGR have no problem with journalistic integrity.

agree. there's a difference that goes beyond being official stations. you can compare newspaper coverage too. not much competition in buffalo either.

i wonder if the problem is simply that syracuse sports aren't popular enough

- Danny Parkins
Really what this comes down to is sports radio is going the way of every other type of news media. People want to hear what they want to hear. They want their news to reinforce their values and opinions, not question them. It seems people don't care that SU is treated with kid gloves (even on this board you can see it, whenever a sports reporter dares utter something bad about the program, they are jumped on).

It's sad, because what it ends up creating in the long run is a less informed public. In this case, it means sports radio will not be able to provide a balance for the SU homerism on SU's sports radio network.

I wouldn't say the UFR guys are cheerleaders at all. They aren't relentlessly negative, but they aren't pumping up to programs constantly either.

As for local talk, how much do you really need. Learch and Poliquin are on for 2 hrs and the other station has 4hrs. How much more do you need in a town focused on D-1 football and basketball and some attention to minor league baseball and hockey.

Sounds to me like we need Syracusefan.com Radio.

05:00am - 08:00am: Drive Time News with Orangeyes
08:00am - 10:00am: Morning Insider with Jake
10:00am - 12:00pm: Basketball Recruiting with Francis
12:00pm - 02:00pm: Gridiron Talk and Ginger Ale with Tomcat
02:00pm - 04:00pm: History of SU with SWC
04:00pm - 07:00pm: College Hoops Happy Hour with Marsh
07:00pm - 09:00pm: Kim Jong Bees Talks About What's On His Mind
09:00pm - 11:00pm: Wine Connoisseur with CTO
11:00pm - 01:00am: Late Night Man to Man with Igor
01:00am - 03:00am: Live from Dubai with Alibrat!
03:00am - 05:00am: Cali Rants

Even on PT I don't do rants that early unless its about the GOP and gun legislation or some other historic up thats killed our kids in uniform.Even without two cups of coffee from Mr Kuerig, I'm ready.:p

Even on PT I don't do rants that early unless its about the GOP and gun legislation or some other historic up thats killed our kids in uniform.Even without two cups of coffee from Mr Kuerig, I'm ready.:p
Cali, that's midnight-2am Pacific time.

No need to get up early unless there's a noon (Eastern time) Syracuse game.

A like wasn't enough.

Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And to think, Lindsley leaving was supposed to be a good thing....until Gottlieb came along. What's next, the John Thompson radio hour?

So, basically the board on a different medium?

I'd be in to that.

Cali, that's midnight-2am Pacific time.

N
2AMPT is 5AM ET NoonET is 9AM PT. It can get a little confusing 2A MET is 11PMPTWe are behind three hoursAs I post this it is10:53AM here but 1:53PM there in Syracuse.;)

I'm not into Sports Radio per se, actually never listen to it. I did find this thread interesting. Is the Ed Levine mentioned in the OP the Ed Levine who used to be a DJ at 95x back in the day? Name just rang a bell. Him and 'Stereo' Steve Becker. Oh and of course Dave Frisina. Soundcheck was the only thing worth listening to locally. ;) (Ok didn't mean to change the subject) Carry on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom