OT- Any Rome (NY) on the boards? | Syracusefan.com

OT- Any Rome (NY) on the boards?

JoeCollege

Senior Whiz Bang Advocate
Have to be in Rome for a couple of days later this month. Any recommendations for good local restaurants? Family friendly- no suit and tie jive. Thanks in advance.

Simeons Mediterranean in New Hartford is the tits. Not sure how far away New Hartford is from Rome though, maybe 15 mins or less.

Have to be in Rome for a couple of days later this month. Any recommendations for good local restaurants? Family friendly- no suit and tie jive. Thanks in advance.
Black River Blvd and Erie Blvd have a lot of choices for you. The Savoy is a good Italian place, Teddy's is decent food, The Franklin And Delta Lake Inn are nice too. I have a co-worker who swore by Coal-Yard Charlie's, I've never been though.

What kind of scene are you looking for?

* never mind about the scene, I saw your description after.

See yelp...fairly accurate. My favs are Aquinos,Coalyard Charlies,Savoy,Teddys. Not necessarily in that order. Enjoy!

Finwad32 said:
Black River Blvd and Erie Blvd have a lot of choices for you. The Savoy is a good Italian place, Teddy's is decent food, The Franklin And Delta Lake Inn are nice too. I have a co-worker who swore by Coal-Yard Charlie's, I've never been though.

What kind of scene are you looking for?

* never mind about the scene, I saw your description after.

Agreed here.

Franklin hotel and the savoy are very good. Go to teddys a lot for work meetings at lunch, great greens.

Charlie's is pretty good too.

Closer to 25 -30 minutes depending on traffic,weather.
Oh man, really? Never mind then. Rome has a lot of great food though, so I've heard. Finding a solid restaurant shouldn't be much of a problem.

Simeons Mediterranean in New Hartford is the tits. Not sure how far away New Hartford is from Rome though, maybe 15 mins or less.

As much as I enjoy tits- and I really, REALLY enjoy tits, I won't have time to scoot down to New Hartford. Which is unfortunate, because as I may or may not have mentioned, I really, really enjoy tits.

Agreed here.

Franklin hotel and the savoy are very good. Go to teddys a lot for work meetings at lunch, great greens.

Charlie's is pretty good too.
Agreed...been 16 years since I've lived up there but food was good like others have said. Charley's has excellent prime rib. Teddy's is good too. If you are into Pizza/Subs/Wings try La Roma on Floyd Ave, very good as well.

Teddy's Chicken Riggies used to win "Riggie Fest" held in Utica, every year. They eventually pulled out of the competition so that other restaurants could have a chance to win.

Born on the Griffis Air Force Base in Rome back in '69. Grew up there and surrounding area. Haven't been in that area, though, for a couple decades. :(

Born on the Griffis Air Force Base in Rome back in '69. Grew up there and surrounding area. Haven't been in that area, though, for a couple decades. :(

From Utica originally. Used to bartend at the NCO Club and O Club on the base. God I miss the local food.
LOL.

Looking for something cheap and good go to Bolevard Diner in Whitesboro. Cheap, quality food and a family atmosphere. About 10-15 minutes from depending on where you're staying.

JoeCollege said:

I'm from Rome and most of my family still lives there. If you're going to be there Saturday morning/early afternoon, this is a necessity: get a steak sandwich at the Franklin Hotel (it's a restaurant, not a hotel). They only make them on Saturdays, and usually run out early in the afternoon. By far the best steak sandwich I've ever had. It's on two big slices of Italian bread they bake themselves...awesome.

For pizza & wings LaRoma's and DiCastro's are very good. For lunch during the week, Big Daddy's Subs. Another place with awesome bread.

Enjoy your trip...there's not much in Rome outside of food!

JoeCollege said:

Born and raised in Rome, been here my whole life aside from a few years living in Cuse. Luckily you don't have to worry about any suit and tie affairs here. Huge fan of the Franklin Hotel as has been mentioned, especially for some lunches. Most of the other stuff posted here is accurate as well.

One thing I would add is there is a nice little gem on Floyd Ave called CPJs which has fantastic dinners and great portions. Tiny place that maybe seats 25 total. Stuffed longhots are crazy good, as is most everything else.

Post back after your visit. Would love to get your take on our little craphole we call home.

Agreed...been 16 years since I've lived up there but food was good like others have said. Charley's has excellent prime rib. Teddy's is good too. If you are into Pizza/Subs/Wings try La Roma on Floyd Ave, very good as well.

I have not been back there since Griffiss closed and I was sent to Andrews. La Roma's sponsored our traveling softball team and gave us some great deals on pizza and wings. Teddy's chicken riggies are the best in the area against any food.

Thanks, all. Will be there over a weekend for a kids event and always try to avoid chains and go local.
went to school near there with some good friends from there. For Italian the Savoy is fantastic. Be sure to not miss the Sunday brunch at The Beeches if you're there over a weekend. Best I've had anywhere EVER.

I have not been back there since Griffiss closed and I was sent to Andrews. La Roma's sponsored our traveling softball team and gave us some great deals on pizza and wings. Teddy's chicken riggies are the best in the area against any food.
A lot of my buddies played on that team that were military. When were you stationed up there?

I grew up in Rome, but left years ago...however, I come back about every other year to visit relative. We go to Aquinos a lot...great food and down home atmosphere. Now if your in for a fish fry and some good ethnic variety...go to Polish Home on Friday's!

went to school near there with some good friends from there. For Italian the Savoy is fantastic. Be sure to not miss the Sunday brunch at The Beeches if you're there over a weekend. Best I've had anywhere EVER.

Thanks Doc. Actually gonna take my son to your alma mater on the way through to get him thinking and motivated. I hear if we use your name, Financial Aid will give us 20% off and if we tell them we don't know you, they'll give us 50% off! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom