OT: Anyone live around Raleigh, NC? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Anyone live around Raleigh, NC?

bump... ironic I posted that yesterday given we were playing down there!

Moving down there for 6 months for a work assignment. I know it's a pretty growing city, and a cool spot for young people.

Heart of ACC country. Orange will be worn routinely.
I've got a buddy down there. UNC grad. Texted me a photo from the game last night.
IMG_1290.jpg

Also interested. My S/O and I might be moving to the area in the fall if she gets the job she's interviewing for.

One of my good friends lives way out in the burbs (Holly Springs). It's a soulless place, but we tend to drag them into the city when we visit. He and his wife say derogatory things about it (they love their tacky McMansion district, though), but it seems like an OK little downtown area with some nice architecture and a bunch of good restaurants and bars (The Pit remains the best barbecue I've had outside of Texas). Looks like a more progressive young person could have a pretty good time down there. Like a lot of smaller cities that have had a rough half-century, Raleigh seems to be on an upswing and there are an increasing number of good housing options close to the center of town.

South of Raleigh by about an hour. Raleigh is my least favorite of the Triangle cities but the one I visit the most. Tells you a lot right there.

If you're up for listening to a Carolina guy, I live in Raleigh. What would you like to know?
I'm in Wake Forest (Practically Raleigh). What's up?

Cool. Not really much specifically I guess... Just curious about the area. I've spent a little time there before and it seemed fun for a younger, single guy (that's me haha). My work location is actually in Wilson, NC, but I decided to live in raleigh and deal with the long commute instead of living in wilson and having much less to do outside of work (wilson is a small area). It'll just be something to get used to i guess (commute). All highway... Podcasts will be my friend! Imagine the other direction is worse for traffic, since people are usually more likely to be driving into the cities in the morning as opposed to out. I've Got some friends who live in raleigh and they love it. They are downtown, I will be around north hills closer to the highway.

I would definitely want to know the road situation.

When we headed from Chapel Hill towards 95 yesterday morning we could not believe the amount of traffic both ways until we were well east of Raleigh.

I would definitely want to know the road situation.

When we headed from Chapel Hill towards 95 yesterday morning we could not believe the amount of traffic both ways until we were well east of Raleigh.
What route did you take? Did you go right thru raleigh? As raleigh is east of chapel hill

I have a questions while I have you all here! What towns/areas should we be looking to live if the S/O works at Duke Medical Center. Both early 30's, no kids (yet). Is there Uber/Lyft/etc. in the area? We enjoy great food and atmosphere. How is the traffic? Some say it's horrendous, others don't think it is so bad.

Thanks!

I have a questions while I have you all here! What towns/areas should we be looking to live if the S/O works at Duke Medical Center. Both early 30's, no kids (yet). Is there Uber/Lyft/etc. in the area? We enjoy great food and atmosphere. How is the traffic? Some say it's horrendous, others don't think it is so bad.

Thanks!

I can't say I know Durham well enough to make recommendations on where to live. Uber and Lyft are all over the area. Traffic is worse than Syracuse but nothing compared to Washington DC. It's getting worse every year though.

CuseCrew 08, I work at Duke Medical Center. There's no reason to live outside of Durham. In most people's opinion (certainly mine) Durham has surpassed Chapel Hill as the place to live here. (Raleigh is different - bigger and farther away, but great.)

The restaurants are amazing (within the last 5 years, Bon Appetite has named Durham its "Foodiest Mid-size Town" in the US, and Southern Living named Durham "The Tastiest Town in the South.") Our performing arts scene is strong. The traffic in Durham is nothing (but driving to/from Raleigh at rush hour can be bad). Durham is always rated among the top places to live in America, for whatever those rankings are worth. Its still pretty affordable, too.

Your commute from Raleigh to Wilson won't be bad as you will be going the opposite way of traffic on 64/264. If you live in the downtown Raleigh area or inside the beltline, your commute shouldn't be too bad and under 1 hr each way. Look downtown as its closer to get to 64/264 than North Hills.

One of my good friends lives way out in the burbs (Holly Springs). It's a soulless place, but we tend to drag them into the city when we visit. He and his wife say derogatory things about it (they love their tacky McMansion district, though), but it seems like an OK little downtown area with some nice architecture and a bunch of good restaurants and bars (The Pit remains the best barbecue I've had outside of Texas). Looks like a more progressive young person could have a pretty good time down there. Like a lot of smaller cities that have had a rough half-century, Raleigh seems to be on an upswing and there are an increasing number of good housing options close to the center of town.

This is pretty much spot on other than The Pit being a good bbq restaurant. I've lived in Holly Springs the last couple years and it is quite sterile. Lived in Mordecai right outside of downtown Raleigh before and much more to do and most everything is in walking distance or a cheap uber/lyft ride away..

Lots of young people down here (recent college grads) and plenty of decent paying jobs for them.

I live in Wilmington about 2 hrs south of Raleigh. I still have my season football tickets and drive up for at least 3 home games each season. I miss my friends in the 'cuse but not the weather.

Your commute from Raleigh to Wilson won't be bad as you will be going the opposite way of traffic on 64/264. If you live in the downtown Raleigh area or inside the beltline, your commute shouldn't be too bad and under 1 hr each way. Look downtown as its closer to get to 64/264 than North Hills.

Really appreciate the reply! I ended up in North Hills... I was working with a corporate mobility company and that is what they found for me (nothing downtown). Some options were further northwest and one was in Knightdale, but I was told that area was ehh and still decent drive to Wilson. I think busiest part of drive will be 440, which merges into 264. I am also hoping that the fact I am going "opposite direction" works out in my favor!

I have friends down there and they say north hills is a nice area. I hear great things about raleigh, especially for younger crowd as you say (I'm 26... And single :) ). It's weird... Between Raleigh and wilson there is pretty much nothing it seems!

And what is the belt line?

And what is the belt line?
440 is considered the beltline (inner and outer). North Hills is considered to be right on/outside the beltline. Good thing for you is that you will only have to be on it for 3-4 miles until you get off at 64 Bypass and then you will encounter minimal traffic en route to Wilson. At 26,you made a very smart move not living in Wilson or Knightdale as neither have much to do. You will have alot more fun in Raleigh.

North Hills area has some decent restaurant (try Cowfish for good sushi and burgers) and bar options. Good thing for you is that a Uber or Lyft ride will cost you around $10 to head downtown/Glenwood South area where most of the bars are located.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

440 is considered the beltline (inner and outer). North Hills is considered to be right on/outside the beltline. Good thing for you is that you will only have to be on it for 3-4 miles until you get off at 64 Bypass and then you will encounter minimal traffic en route to Wilson. At 26,you made a very smart move not living in Wilson or Knightdale as neither have much to do. You will have alot more fun in Raleigh.

North Hills area has some decent restaurant (try Cowfish for good sushi and burgers) and bar options. Good thing for you is that a Uber or Lyft ride will cost you around $10 to head downtown/Glenwood South area where most of the bars are located.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cool... really appreciate the reply! That's what makes this board great.

I have heard good things about Cowfish, an also the Pit! Haha.

This is pretty much spot on other than The Pit being a good bbq restaurant. I've lived in Holly Springs the last couple years and it is quite sterile. Lived in Mordecai right outside of downtown Raleigh before and much more to do and most everything is in walking distance or a cheap uber/lyft ride away..

Lots of young people down here (recent college grads) and plenty of decent paying jobs for them.

Wait you aren't a fan of the pit? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom