OT: Atlanta lodging question | Syracusefan.com

OT: Atlanta lodging question

AirForceOrange

Hall of Fame
Need some help. Looking to go up to ATL Memorial Day weekend. Need some suggestions on where to say that is relatively inexpensive but not an area that I need security...also if someone can recommend some restaurants...bringing Mrs AFO and AFO Jr (10 year old)...any help or advice would be much appreciated.

What are you doing while in town?

If you're there for the aquarium, college football hall of fame, CNN, World of Coke then you may want to stay downtown. The Westin downtown is kind of cool, though it could be pricey. You will want to avoid the area around the Fox Theater past dusk.

We like the Buckhead area and when trying to $ave have done well with Priceline... usually getting the Hyatt Regency or JW Marriott (we prefer the former). We also have access to a hotel program that gets us to the Inter Continental. We like that as well, but will run you some more coin. A couple of nice malls and restaurants nearby, mostly walkable. Easy access to MARTA if you need to get downtown. Parking is typically $20/night.

You can stay a bit further out for a bit less. The Perimeter area offers lodging, shops, restaurants and a MARTA station as well.

I've never stayed in these locations with a youngster in tow.

Need some help. Looking to go up to ATL Memorial Day weekend. Need some suggestions on where to say that is relatively inexpensive but not an area that I need security...also if someone can recommend some restaurants...bringing Mrs AFO and AFO Jr (10 year old)...any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Find the hotel that's next to this place...

waffle-house.jpg

But seriously, check out Gladys Knight & Ron Winans' Chicken and Waffles. It's sublime.

LaQuinta in Smyrna...stayed there in '13 for the F4. Check out Siracusa's nearby.

Definitely buckhead or midtown. W midtown is usually affordable and the ritz Carlton midtown has some eat weekend deals as it is primarily a hotel for business travel. South city Kitchen in Midtown is fantastic. Kevin Rathburn steakhouse is one of the better steakhouses in the area. In the same neck of the woods is Krog street market. Indoor marketplace with a number of good restaurants and bars.

Thank you all for the information and advice. Right now I am working on trying to get lodging at Dobbins ARB. If that doesn't work out, we will look into some of the suggestions above.

If you're there for the aquarium, college football hall of fame, CNN, World of Coke then you may want to stay downtown. The Westin downtown is kind of cool, though it could be pricey. You will want to avoid the area around the Fox Theater past dusk.

We like the Buckhead area and when trying to $ave have done well with Priceline... usually getting the Hyatt Regency or JW Marriott (we prefer the former). We also have access to a hotel program that gets us to the Inter Continental. We like that as well, but will run you some more coin. A couple of nice malls and restaurants nearby, mostly walkable. Easy access to MARTA if you need to get downtown. Parking is typically $20/night.

You can stay a bit further out for a bit less. The Perimeter area offers lodging, shops, restaurants and a MARTA station as well.

We are going to World of Coke, the aquarium, Stone Mountain and Ikea...

Is there parking at World of Coke? I assume there is at the aquarium...

Thank you all for the information and advice. Right now I am working on trying to get lodging at Dobbins ARB. If that doesn't work out, we will look into some of the suggestions above.

Here's info for parking
Should be $10/day. You can walk between Coke & aquarium as they're both at Centennial Olympic Park. You may want to pop into CNN center for food or just to walk around for a minute.

Plenty of parking at IKEA. Atlantic Station, near IKEA, is also a good place to walk around and grab food (underground garage, or park at Target and walk a block or so).

After IKEA, go to Antico for the best pizza in town...and Sublime for the best doughnuts in the world. Both are within 2 blocks. Six Feet Under is also a good, interesting, comfortable restaurant in that neighborhood. If you care for opinions, do college football hall of fame before World of Coke (which is next door to aquarium so no problems walking to any of these)

If you're in town to see CusefanATL then that's great. Otherwise, you're probably better off elsewhere.
Ha, or interviewing at Home Depot hq across the street. I'm abou a mile from there. Agree that in town is better, but it's only 10ish miles in so not a huge deal if you want to stay out there.

Here's info for parking
Should be $10/day. You can walk between Coke & aquarium as they're both at Centennial Olympic Park. You may want to pop into CNN center for food or just to walk around for a minute.

Plenty of parking at IKEA. Atlantic Station, near IKEA, is also a good place to walk around and grab food (underground garage, or park at Target and walk a block or so).

After IKEA, go to Antico for the best pizza in town...and Sublime for the best doughnuts in the world. Both are within 2 blocks. Six Feet Under is also a good, interesting, comfortable restaurant in that neighborhood. If you care for opinions, do college football hall of fame before World of Coke (which is next door to aquarium so no problems walking to any of these)

Cool...thank you very much! Got lodging at Dobbins...so we got a place to stay. Can World of Coke and the aquarium be done in a day?

We will make note of your suggestions check some out...We will only have about 2-3 full days...

Can World of Coke and the aquarium be done in a day?
I haven't been to the aquarium. World of Coke is 60 minutes or so, IIRC. You should be able to do both without any problems. There's also a Ferris wheel next door.

I haven't been to the aquarium. World of Coke is 60 minutes or so, IIRC. You should be able to do both without any problems. There's also a Ferris wheel next door.

I think my son is more interested in trying all the different kinds of Coke and sodas rather than the tour...

Cool...thank you very much! Got lodging at Dobbins...so we got a place to stay. Can World of Coke and the aquarium be done in a day?

We will make note of your suggestions check some out...We will only have about 2-3 full days...
Easily in a day. Plus college hall of fame. Near Dobbins is Mariett Square which has nice restaurants and stuff to see if you're ever looking for anything close to where you're staying.

Easily in a day. Plus college hall of fame. Near Dobbins is Mariett Square which has nice restaurants and stuff to see if you're ever looking for anything close to where you're staying.

Cool...thank you very much!

You can easily do the in a day. The aquarium can be a solid 3 hours if you are really taking it in, but we are usually in and out in 2. The zoo is about 15-20 minutes out from downtown, and is another solid option.

You can easily do the in a day. The aquarium can be a solid 3 hours if you are really taking it in, but we are usually in and out in 2. The zoo is about 15-20 minutes out from downtown, and is another solid option.

Knowing my son, we should be able to do the aquarium in a couple hours...Gonna probably get the City Pass for my wife and son...at least half of the places I can get in free because I am retired military, so don't think the City Pass is worth it for me. Was thinking about going to the zoo as well...will depend on time and weather. Have also thought about Stone Mtn. Thank you for the ideas and information.

Eh, the CFB HOF is underwhelming. Not nearly enough memorabilia - just photos, stories, and interactive displays. The only part I cared for was the trophies display which had all the major bowls, plus the CFP trophy.

Eh, the CFB HOF is underwhelming. Not nearly enough memorabilia - just photos, stories, and interactive displays. The only part I cared for was the trophies display which had all the major bowls, plus the CFP trophy.
We'll disagree. I think how they made a museum differently is brilliant. They have "stuff" but the interactive part is insanely innovative. You walk by a wall and it transforms to images and sounds from your favorite team. Just awesome. I thought the broadcasting and "on field" interactive things were great. Loved the actual field and ability to kick field goals, catch passes etc. I could watch the helmet wall in the foyer for 2 hours. Helmets light up as fans of that school enter. Just awesome.

We'll disagree. I think how they made a museum differently is brilliant. They have "stuff" but the interactive part is insanely innovative. You walk by a wall and it transforms to images and sounds from your favorite team. Just awesome. I thought the broadcasting and "on field" interactive things were great. Loved the actual field and ability to kick field goals, catch passes etc. I could watch the helmet wall in the foyer for 2 hours. Helmets light up as fans of that school enter. Just awesome.
Personally, I expect every HOF to be like the Baseball hall, just loaded with artifacts. That's what wows me. I don't want a background on the Stanford - Cal play, I want to see the busted trumpet.

I was just at World of Coke a few weeks ago, in Atlanta for a wedding. When you do the tasting I don't recommend the soda from I have no idea where but it was called Beverly

:vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:
Ha ha

Some of those are awful.
I did enjoy my good old Bitter Lemon... very popular in the Netherlands.

Ha ha

Some of those are awful.
I did enjoy my good old Bitter Lemon... very popular in the Netherlands.
I don't remember seeing that one but there were so many to try, heck of a sugar rush for the rest of the day

Last September when I stayed at the Westin it was under construction ... my room was dead smack next to it ... I hated my week long stay

On the plus side waffle house was on walk to convention center, and it is a straight incline the first quarter mile, so you got that

Reubens Deli is amazing btw