OT: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN | Syracusefan.com

OT: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN

Melancer46

Living Legend
Not sure which forum exactly this should be in, but ESPN released a statement announcing that they've ended their negotiations with Bill Simmons, so he will be leaving in September. Going to be really interesting to see who remains at Grantland/where Bill goes.

I know a lot of people don't like him anymore, but he's one of the biggest names in the sports media world; this is a pretty big deal.

Not sure which forum exactly this should be in, but ESPN released a statement announcing that they've ended their negotiations with Bill Simmons, so he will be leaving in September. Going to be really interesting to see who remains at Grantland/where Bill goes.

I know a lot of people don't like him anymore, but he's one of the biggest names in the sports media world; this is a pretty big deal.
I didn't realize Grantland was an ESPN product. I thought it was a partner site.

I didn't realize Grantland was an ESPN product. I thought it was a partner site.

I believe Bill started it but a part of the contract was that ESPN had the rights to it or something like that. Anyways, Grantland apparently will remain; not sure how many of the staff will want to jump ship with Bill though since a lot of them are best friends.

I used to love Simmons, but then his ego grew with his rise and crap has gotten repetitive and old. I used to find him mildly amusing back in his Boston Sports Guy days, but now whenever I hear or see him, it just reminds me of the "Smug Alert" South Park episode where everyone in San Francisco was farting into empty wine glasses and then smelling the glasses. His ego is way too big unjustifiably so, IMO; he's a decent writer, but outside of his NBA knowledge, which I do respect, I think his sports knowledge is below average.

I used to love Simmons, but then his ego grew with his rise and crap has gotten repetitive and old. I used to find him mildly amusing back in his Boston Sports Guy days, but now whenever I hear or see him, it just reminds me of the "Smug Alert" South Park episode where everyone in San Francisco was farting into empty wine glasses and then smelling the glasses. His ego is way too big unjustifiably so, IMO; he's a decent writer, but outside of his NBA knowledge, which I do respect, I think his sports knowledge is below average.
I think his NBA knowledge is severely overhyped, to be honest. Well, let me rephrase: his knowledge of the history of the league is enormous. But his knowledge about basketball itself is seriously overblown. There are better basketball minds on this board.

I think his NBA knowledge is severely overhyped, to be honest. Well, let me rephrase: his knowledge of the history of the league is enormous. But his knowledge about basketball itself is seriously overblown. There are better basketball minds on this board.
Sounds like someone needs a clinic from this guy!
th

I feel like you could say this about most basketball writers honestly lol.

He's got a decent basketball mind and a great knowledge of the history of the league.

You and jekelish nailed my thoughts exactly.

I agree. Guy is a complete tool.

I think both sides lose in this battle. ESPN gave Simmons tremendous exposure and opportunity to pursue his likes (he was brutal as a TV studio analyst), while he has given them a ton in terms of Grantland and 30 for 30. I would assume Fox offers him the most $ for a tv/online deal, but he might want to see if the NBA is willing to put him in some kind of managerial/on-air role for NBATV.

I think both sides lose in this battle. ESPN gave Simmons tremendous exposure and opportunity to pursue his likes (he was brutal as a TV studio analyst), while he has given them a ton in terms of Grantland and 30 for 30. I would assume Fox offers him the most $ for a tv/online deal, but he might want to see if the NBA is willing to put him in some kind of managerial/on-air role for NBATV.
I think he goes Bleacher Report/Turner/NBA TV route.
His sports knowledge isn't good enough for Fox.

I was actually thinking he might try to launch his own internet driven network.

Now you must tell...not cool to say something like that and not give details...
Ha, I figured I'd told the story before. Quick summary: back in like 2002 or 2003, I sent him an e-mail breaking down how the Bears batted out of order in Bad News Bears in Breaking Training. Rather than either give me credit for the e-mail or run it in one of his mailbags, he took it and turned it into a column of his own without ever once citing me. Basically, he ripped me off.

Ha, I figured I'd told the story before. Quick summary: back in like 2002 or 2003, I sent him an e-mail breaking down how the Bears batted out of order in Bad News Bears in Breaking Training. Rather than either give me credit for the e-mail or run it in one of his mailbags, he took it and turned it into a column of his own without ever once citing me. Basically, he ripped me off.

So he was a tool, even back then?!?!

So he was a tool, even back then?!?!
With a side order of "hack." Another thing that stained him was the fact that he always acts like the biggest expert on the movie Hoosiers ever, and then he made a video of him visiting the Hoosiers gym and he kept calling Rade Butcher "Ray." He doesn't even know the character names of the movie he proclaims to have seen hundreds of times!

I know a lot of people don't like Simmons, but this is a good move for him. Guy's like Patrick, Bucher, and Chris Sheridan have all done much more since leaving ESPN.

I find his knowledge on sports over rated and he has a pretty big ego. His writing is not something you would use as example for aspiring writers and he is a giant homer of teams I dislike.

Still, I always look forward to reading his articles and mailbags. They entertain me more than most writer's columns do. I simply cannot explain it.

FS1 is desperate for ratings though, so I would imagine they make a big offer. You are probably right about the route he takes. He needs some backing of a network to make it- I don't think he's big enough on his own. Honestly ESPN can plug in Russillo and not miss a beat in terms of NBA stuff