OT: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN

I find his knowledge on sports over rated and he has a pretty big ego. His writing is not something you would use as example for aspiring writers and he is a giant homer of teams I dislike.

Still, I always look forward to reading his articles and mailbags. They entertain me more than most writer's columns do. I simply cannot explain it.
I agree about his knowledge of sports, but disagree about the quality of his writing. Like it or not, his conversational, anecdotal style is exactly the direction journalism/columns are headed.

Big loss for ESPN, he may not be popular around here but I think he is a big asset wherever he goes. He may not be the greatest but he is better than most tools on the TV>

I know a lot of people don't like Simmons, but this is a good move for him. Guy's like Patrick, Bucher, and Chris Sheridan have all done much more since leaving ESPN.

Have Sheridan and Bucher? I know Sheridan has his own site now and Bucher is with Bleacher Report or something but I honestly don't pay any attention to them anymore. No idea what they're up to.

Big loss for ESPN, he may not be popular around here but I think he is a big asset wherever he goes. He may not be the greatest but he is better than most tools on the TV>
Oh, he's a massive asset, no question. And he's a terrific writer. My only thing with him is that he doesn't know sports as well as he thinks he does. He's 1000x better when he talks about pop culture. And when he doesn't rip me off.

Used to not like him but I was recently impressed by his hockey knowledge. I don't agree with anyone saying his sports knowledge is below avergage.

Used to not like him but I was recently impressed by his hockey knowledge. I don't agree with anyone saying his sports knowledge is below avergage.
I didn't see anyone saying his sports knowledge is "below average."

Saying he doesn't know sports as well as he thinks he does does not equal "below average."

His hockey knowledge? Which consists of being an LA Kings season ticket so his kids can go the games and chant the opposing goalies name? Ripping on Vancouver because the Bruins beat them in 2011? BS hockey knowledge isn't that great he is a bandwagon Kings fan and has claimed Bettman killed his interest in the sports.

Multiple times he has shown he doesn't have great sports knowledge. His college football, baseball is horrible. NFL he is a degenerate gambler who doesn't win or give great analysis. Pro basketball he is decent and he hates college hoops because its slow and his alma mater sucks.

BS rode the early 2000s Red Sox run into a nice niche and power at ESPN.

His hockey knowledge? Which consists of being an LA Kings season ticket so his kids can go the games and chant the opposing goalies name? Ripping on Vancouver because the Bruins beat them in 2011? BS hockey knowledge isn't that great he is a bandwagon Kings fan and has claimed Bettman killed his interest in the sports.

His hockey knowledge is certainly not below average compared to anyone at ESPN. He has gotten more into hockey and I respect that. There isn't a ton of that in mainstream sports media.

Have Sheridan and Bucher? I know Sheridan has his own site now and Bucher is with Bleacher Report or something but I honestly don't pay any attention to them anymore. No idea what they're up to.

Sheridan broke the Lebron back to Cleveland news about 5 days before anyone else. His site is great. One of the best on hoop news. Our own Danny Schayes write's columns for him. You can take more risks when you work for yourself. ESPN is like the NFL. It's all about the logo

The best part of this:

We know Simmons is done in September. How many times do we think he gets suspended between now and then? I mean...gloves are basically off at this point, right? What can they possibly do to him?

I bet he's done after the NBA Finals. They pay him to go away.

I bet he's done after the NBA Finals. They pay him to go away.
Another reason I think he's going to wind up starting his own project: he hates being muzzled. He wants to be able to say whatever the hell he wants, with no limitations.

That could make for some potentially terrific reading, if he does that.

Deitsch's article on SI basically confirms BS appearance on the Dan Patrick show yesterday where he railed on Goodell and the Wells report forced ESPN's hand.

That appearance probably caused Skipper to say here is our offer take it or good bye we are moving on. Showtime/HBO TV show after John Oliver could be a possible spot to land.

The best part of this:

We know Simmons is done in September. How many times do we think he gets suspended between now and then? I mean...gloves are basically off at this point, right? What can they possibly do to him?

It would make no sense for ESPN to give him a platform between now and then.

Deitsch's article on SI basically confirms BS appearance on the Dan Patrick show yesterday where he railed on Goodell and the Wells report forced ESPN's hand.

That appearance probably caused Skipper to say here is our offer take it or good bye we are moving on. Showtime/HBO TV show after John Oliver could be a possible spot to land.
His own website, and then maybe an HBO show makes the most sense to me. If I were in his position, that's what I'd be wanting to do. Write whatever the hell I want on the website, and then you're also basically free to say anything and do anything on an HBO show, and everyone who works for HBO just praises the people who run the place like crazy.

I mean let's look at it this way. The guy was a nobody they signed off the street because his column was funny. Years later he's been one of the most powerful people in the company. That's worthy of respect.

He's ambitious enough to be directly responsible for two of the best things ESPN has ever done which is 30 for 30 and Grantland.

I've read his book of basketball. He knows more about basketball history than anybody in ESPN knows about anything in any sport, except maybe The Schwab before he was let go. That alone makes me respect anything he says when it comes to basketball. I agree his knowledge of football is not much more than a typical knowledgeable NFL fan.

I could see why people think he's smug and has a big ego, but frankly, ESPN is filled with so many of those guys, it's refreshing when there's a great writer with a sense of humor who knows more about the game than 99% of people. Another thing I like is that he "gets" the intangibles in sports. Nothing pisses me off more than the Bill Barnwell advanced stat geeks who try to act like momentum, "IT" factor, and the mental/will power part of the game doesn't exist.

His own website, and then maybe an HBO show makes the most sense to me. If I were in his position, that's what I'd be wanting to do. Write whatever the hell I want on the website, and then you're also basically free to say anything and do anything on an HBO show, and everyone who works for HBO just praises the people who run the place like crazy.
something where he can go on and on and on and on pompously and his fan boys will clap like otters. john oliver on sports with a different stupid accent

HE'S IN FULL HOMER MODE. You're right. ESPN is going to do everything possible to protect it's NFL rights. That's their M.O.

The best part of this:

I think they'll wind him down pretty quickly now that this news has come out, but I'm excited to see what he's got to say as an independent writer.

I mean let's look at it this way. The guy was a nobody they signed off the street because his column was funny. Years later he's been one of the most powerful people in the company. That's worthy of respect.

He's ambitious enough to be directly responsible for two of the best things ESPN has ever done which is 30 for 30 and Grantland.

I've read his book of basketball. He knows more about basketball history than anybody in ESPN knows about anything in any sport, except maybe The Schwab before he was let go. That alone makes me respect anything he says when it comes to basketball. I agree his knowledge of football is not much more than a typical knowledgeable NFL fan.

I could see why people think he's smug and has a big ego, but frankly, ESPN is filled with so many of those guys, it's refreshing when there's a great writer with a sense of humor who knows more about the game than 99% of people. Another thing I like is that he "gets" the intangibles in sports. Nothing pisses me off more than the Bill Barnwell advanced stat geeks who try to act like momentum, "IT" factor, and the mental/will power part of the game doesn't exist.

For what it's worth, it sounds like while a lot of us love Grantland, financially speaking, it isn't successful at all. Deadspin had an article basically saying that the biggest things Bill has done are:
Grantland
30 for 30
BS Report
Grantland Basketball TV Show

and that the only one that really makes any money is the 30 for 30 series, so ESPN declining to double his salary to $6 million after ESPN itself has had a few tough quarters in a row makes sense.

I can confidently say I will read whatever Zach Lowe puts out no matter where he works, and I'll still listen to most Bill Simmons podcasts assuming he still has them.

Vice Sports might also be an interesting choice that would give him freedom.