OT - Chauncey Billups retiring - is he HOF worthy? | Syracusefan.com

OT - Chauncey Billups retiring - is he HOF worthy?

RandygoCuse

All Conference
You could make the case either way, my gut says no, at least not a first-vote type guy

Chauncey Billups had an outstanding career that can't fully be defined by statistics. He was a winner, won championships, and made a ton of big shots. He was arguably in the conversation for league MVP in the 2003-2005 timeframe while playing on a balanced team, which speaks volumes about his leadership and big game apptitude.

But in terms of HOF--I don't think so, and that's not to knock him. He's also a highly respected, stand up guy from what I understand. Very, very, very good career. Just not sure that it is HOF worthy, especially factoring in his later career droppoff in productivity.

I'm curious to hear what others think. I believe that Joe Duamrs is in the HOF; this could end up being a similar case.

Last edited:
17 years in the league. Wow, I didn't realize it was that long. Time flies. He had a very good career, and did well everywhere he went, but he still seemed like a slightly under the radar type guy. I don't think he makes the HOF.

Chauncey Billups had an outstanding career that can't fully be defined by statistics. He was a winner, won championships, and made a ton of big shots. He was arguably in the conversation for league MVP in the 2003-2005 timeframe while playing on a balanced team, which speaks volumes about his leadership and big game apptitude.

But in terms of HOF--I don't think so, and that's not to knock him. Very, very, very good career. Just not sure that it is HOF worthy, especially factoring in his later career droppoff in productivity.

I'm curious to hear what others think. I believe that Joe Duamrs is in the HOF; this could end up being a similar case.

I like the Dumars comparison - I also feel like Billups is in the same category as Dennis Johnson. Not necessarily in style of play, but level of play (although I think DJ is a bit better). Does anyone know the last NBA championship team without a HOF player on it?

The Celtic's who were terribly managed in the 90's by Pitino and company screwed up the beginning of his career. They weren't sure if he was a one or a two and played him at both positions. They eventually traded him to Toronto for Kenny Anderson, who at the time had just been traded for damon stoudamire. Kenny refused to play in Canada. Talk about horrible trades for all involved. Stoudamire and Anderson were never as good as they were before those trades, and Billups got better.
Those early oughts Piston teams were extremely underated. Not only did they beat the Lakers, but they took the Spurs to Seven games the year after. Shaq and Dwade ultimately ended that Piston run when the Refs were all but hell bent on just giving Miami the 06 title.

The Celtic's who were terribly managed in the 90's by Pitino and company screwed up the beginning of his career. They weren't sure if he was a one or a two and played him at both positions. They eventually traded him to Toronto for Kenny Anderson, who at the time had just been traded for damon stoudamire. Kenny refused to play in Canada. Talk about horrible trades for all involved. Stoudamire and Anderson were never as good as they were before those trades, and Billups got better.
Those early oughts Piston teams were extremely underated. Not only did they beat the Lakers, but they took the Spurs to Seven games the year after. Shaq and Dwade ultimately ended that Piston run when the Refs were all but hell bent on just giving Miami the 06 title.

Spot on. I'll also add that The Celtics had spent the entire preceding year intentionally tanking in the interests of landing Tim Duncan. They had two lottery picks, and a very high statistical percentage chance of landing the #1 pick... but of course that didn't happen despite their league worst record, and they ended up with the #3 and #5 picks. Those picks became Billups [at #3] and Ron Mercer, who'd played for new Celtic coach Rick Pitino at UK.

The Celtics gave up on Billups prematurely, and Trader Rick shipped him off about 1/3 of the way into his rookie season. Mercer ended up having an OK career but fell WAY short of expectations, and bounced around the league as a second string type of guy; clearly not what you expect when you draft a guy #5. Missing out on the Tim Duncan sweepstakes set the team back a decade.

You could make the case either way, my gut says no, at least not a first-vote type guy

That's a tough one. Billups had a very similar career to Dennis Johnson, and DJ is in. But I tend to be of the opinion that Hall of Fames are too watered down across all sports.

(Edit: my bad you already made the DJ comparison)

It's hard for me to get a hold on the basketball HOF. There are so many college coaches in there, for instance. But even just looking at the players; Billups would be far from the worst player inducted. But there are probably better players than him not in also.

There is a guy named Harold Anderson int he HOF, this is his resume

NIT third place finish (Toledo, 1942); six NIT and three NCAA tournament berths (Bowling Green); first coach to take two different schools to the NIT; President ofNABC (1962–63)

Spot on. I'll also add that The Celtics had spent the entire preceding year intentionally tanking in the interests of landing Tim Duncan. They had two lottery picks, and a very high statistical percentage chance of landing the #1 pick... but of course that didn't happen despite their league worst record, and they ended up with the #3 and #5 picks. Those picks became Billups [at #3] and Ron Mercer, who'd played for new Celtic coach Rick Pitino at UK.

The Celtics gave up on Billups prematurely, and Trader Rick shipped him off about 1/3 of the way into his rookie season. Mercer ended up having an OK career but fell WAY short of expectations, and bounced around the league as a second string type of guy; clearly not what you expect when you draft a guy #5. Missing out on the Tim Duncan sweepstakes set the team back a decade.
Your correct about the Celtics, but in fairness, Billups bounced around a lot in the beginning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom