OT: Chicago Trip | Syracusefan.com

OT: Chicago Trip

FireballPhil

2nd String
I have to be in Chicago next week for business- we have just opened a new plant there and we are rotating there conceivably for the next year until they get a management team hired and trained. I have only been to Chicago one other time, so I don't know all the good places to eat and visit. Any suggestions from those out there that know the city well?

I remember Tristan recommending PF Changs, not realizing that they were a chain. Thought that was pretty telling!!!

I have to be in Chicago next week for business- we have just opened a new plant there and we are rotating there conceivably for the next year until they get a management team hired and trained. I have only been to Chicago one other time, so I don't know all the good places to eat and visit. Any suggestions from those out there that know the city well?
It really depends on where you are staying and how flexible you are with timing. Chicago has a TON of great restaurants. A few of my favorites:
- Girl and the Goat (modern american), RPM (italian), Sunda (japanese/asian fusion), GT Fish and Oyster (seafood), Acanto (Italian, new but I've heard good things), the dawson (american gastro pub)

All of the ones above are close to downtown... my favorite restaurant is actually a little neighborhood place in lincoln park called monkey's paw (gastro pub) which is about a block from where I live. There also plenty of others and you can't go wrong with most of the steakhouses.

Grant Achatz' Alinea is outstanding. I remember having a ridiculous 16 or 18 course (lost count) tasting menu when I was there for a recent ASCO conference. Pharma companies really take care of their consultants / advisors!

Everest is the other place I thought was quite good: interesting Alsatian menu with a really neat wine list.

I had a killer steak sandwich at a place called Sir Beef, or maybe Mister Beef... can't remember but I'm sure a yelp search would clarify.

Girl & Goat - get the pig face, oh man that was ridiculous. They have a great chocolate and mushroom dessert; I know that sounds disjointed but I thought it was terrific, probably made better by the barolo I was drinking. We went there a second time and I acquainted myself with their rather extensive bier list.

You can't turn around without finding a reasonably good steakhouse.

Deep dish pizza is supposedly terrific; I was after less "heavy" meals and didn't pursue.

If you're going out with some friends or business associates, I highly recommend Cafe BaBaReeba. And do a bunch of tapas plates. You pass the plates around, drink sherry or sangria, and have loads of fun.

All formality soon disappears...plus the food and drink is great!

Where are you staying? What do you like to eat? What's your budget?
For starters everyone is going to recommend Chicago Style Pizza . If you are staying downtown, I would try Pizano's or Giordano's. (IMHO Pizano's has a better crust, but Giordano's is good and there are more of them). Pizano's also makes a better thin crust pizza.

For quick lunches, if you are not afraid of Cholesterol, I would try a Portillos. They are part of a chain now, but it is a Chicago original. The beef and sausage sandwich with both types of peppers is a go to. Also you can never go wrong with a Chicago Style Hot Dog.

If you like beer try revolution brewing or piece brewery. They are both brew pubs that are easy to get to off the blue line.

As far as other eating options, as OrangeFoo pointed out above there are so many great restaurants it's hard to make general recommendations without more information.

As far as things to do, again it all depends on what you are looking for, but as far as touristy things go, if the weather permits, I would try an architectural boat tour. They are great way to learn more about the city and get your bearings. I make everyone who comes to visit me go on at least one. Also if you get a gorgeous fall day try to make it to one of the lake front parks. They are absolutely amazing.

Grant Achatz' Alinea is outstanding. I remember having a ridiculous 16 or 18 course (lost count) tasting menu when I was there for a recent ASCO conference. Pharma companies really take care of their consultants / advisors!

Everest is the other place I thought was quite good: interesting Alsatian menu with a really neat wine list.

I had a killer steak sandwich at a place called Sir Beef, or maybe Mister Beef... can't remember but I'm sure a yelp search would clarify.

Girl & Goat - get the pig face, oh man that was ridiculous. They have a great chocolate and mushroom dessert; I know that sounds disjointed but I thought it was terrific, probably made better by the barolo I was drinking. We went there a second time and I acquainted myself with their rather extensive bier list.

You can't turn around without finding a reasonably good steakhouse.

Deep dish pizza is supposedly terrific; I was after less "heavy" meals and didn't pursue.
I didn't mention Alinea only because it's a $300+ per person meal... but yes it's an amazing experience and I think has won awards for being the best restaurant in the US. I would almost think going there for a work dinner would ruin the experience as I think of it as a really special night to be shared with a loved one.

Totally agree on the pig face... I actually think the green beans dish at Girl and the goat is my favorite there.

Lou Malnatti's is the best deep dish in town for the record... all the rest doesn't compare.

I was just there last weekend for a wedding.

Go to Au Cheval. You will be the happiest person on this board.

The Firehouse for the Fireball. They city is loaded with good steakhouses. The one with current buzz is the Firehouse, just south of the park.

I'm trying to remember the name of it, but there was a fancy Brazilian restaurant which served me a meal I thoroughly enjoyed. And when I asked them for a moist towelette a la Tony Clifton, they informed me they didn't have any and gave me a steaming hot towel instead. It was a semi-life altering experience.

We all knew this thread was going to take us here. It was just a matter of time:
Sorry...too easy.

For actual advice, try Luke's Italian Beef...excellent egg plant parm sandwich.

I'm trying to remember the name of it, but there was a fancy Brazilian restaurant which served me a meal I thoroughly enjoyed. And when I asked them for a moist towelette a la Tony Clifton, they informed me they didn't have any and gave me a steaming hot towel instead. It was a semi-life altering experience.
Sounds like Fogo de Chao, it's on North LaSalle. It's a chain but quite good IMO. The picanha cut is quite good rare. Fair selection of malbecs as well.

I really enjoyed Rosebud on Rush...great location near Magnificent Mile...downtown...near North Side..

http://www.rosebudrestaurants.com/#!restaurants/rosebud-on-rush
There are several Rosebud restaurants.

I haven't been to the new Buddy Guy's Legends.
But the old one was a great place.
Like the Dino...only with a real stage, great players every night...and Buddy Guy actually hangs out there when he's not on tour.
http://www.buddyguy.com/

It really depends on where you are staying and how flexible you are with timing. Chicago has a TON of great restaurants. A few of my favorites:
- Girl and the Goat (modern american), RPM (italian), Sunda (japanese/asian fusion), GT Fish and Oyster (seafood), Acanto (Italian, new but I've heard good things), the dawson (american gastro pub)

All of the ones above are close to downtown... my favorite restaurant is actually a little neighborhood place in lincoln park called monkey's paw (gastro pub) which is about a block from where I live. There also plenty of others and you can't go wrong with most of the steakhouses.

Our new plant is actually located in Bolingbrook, so I assume I will be staying close to there. As of work yesterday they still didn't have all the details worked out, but there is a hotel just a few blocks away so I assume I will be staying there,

I didn't mention Alinea only because it's a $300+ per person meal... but yes it's an amazing experience and I think has won awards for being the best restaurant in the US. I would almost think going there for a work dinner would ruin the experience as I think of it as a really special night to be shared with a loved one.

Totally agree on the pig face... I actually think the green beans dish at Girl and the goat is my favorite there.

Lou Malnatti's is the best deep dish in town for the record... all the rest doesn't compare.
lol. Although I get reimbursed for my expensed I think they would frown on a $300 meal bill. Although it would be fun to see the look on their faces!

Our new plant is actually located in Bolingbrook, so I assume I will be staying close to there. As of work yesterday they still didn't have all the details worked out, but there is a hotel just a few blocks away so I assume I will be staying there,
Yikes... Bolingbrook is out there. According to Google maps its 30 miles out of the Loop. There is no accounting for Chicago traffic, for example it's 1:14 on Friday afternoon and it would take you 47 minutes to get to downtown according to Google maps which I am assuming is accounting for traffic. Getting back out of the city at night isn't too bad but plan for more than an hour or more getting into the city during rush hour.

Yikes... Bolingbrook is out there. According to Google maps its 30 miles out of the Loop. There is no accounting for Chicago traffic, for example it's 1:14 on Friday afternoon and it would take you 47 minutes to get to downtown according to Google maps which I am assuming is accounting for traffic. Getting back out of the city at night isn't too bad but plan for more than an hour or more getting into the city during rush hour.

I will be working approximately from 6am to 4pm. I have all evening to go do something and not be in a rush.
I appreciate all the suggestions, I want to try a few while I am there. After all, it is all expenses paid trip lol.

Wow. Jealous. Alinea is on the list for me big time. Take advantage of the trains. Walk around some neighborhoods like Lincoln Park where DePaul is. Not a deep dish guy per se but OrangeFoo is right about Lou Malnatti's. Don't go to Giordano's. It sucks. For craft beer definitely get to HopLeaf. Great food as well. Try to avoid Fri or Sat at night though. Might be hard to get in. Revolution Brewery is cool too. Longman & Eagle in Logan Square is awesome. Gastropub with a great and quirky menu. Really reasonable with great whiskeys and cocktails. Some of the best Vietnamese food I have had was the pho at Tank. 'Asia on Argyle' area. The Green Mill is a killer old school jazz club uptown that has a Sat set from like 2-6am. I definitely showed up there around 3AM a few times where they are going strong, lol. I had really awesome sushi at Jellyfish. The Girl and The Goat is another popular restaurant. Tough to get in. Haven't been but my friends all love it.

I will be working approximately from 6am to 4pm. I have all evening to go do something and not be in a rush.
I appreciate all the suggestions, I want to try a few while I am there. After all, it is all expenses paid trip lol.
Try to go to Girl and the Goat when it first opens in the evening. It's almost impossible to get a reservation there less then a month out but if you go there when it opens you can get seated. Definitely worth it.

Alinea is really expensive, but great.

Chicago Hot Dog- Portillos
Italian Beef- Al's or Mr Beef
Pizza- Lou Malnati's
Burger- Au Cheval, Kuma's Corner
Tacos- Big Star

Agree with Girl and the Goat, but you probably won't get in unless you already have a reservation. Hubbard Street has lots of bars/clubs/restaurants. Stick to River North if you want modern food/restaurants. Wicker Park is more hipsterish and Lincoln Park has more pubs.

Wow. Jealous. Alinea is on the list for me big time. Take advantage of the trains. Walk around some neighborhoods like Lincoln Park where DePaul is. Not a deep dish guy per se but OrangeFoo is right about Lou Malnatti's. Don't go to Giordano's. It sucks. For craft beer definitely get to HopLeaf. Great food as well. Try to avoid Fri or Sat at night though. Might be hard to get in. Revolution Brewery is cool too. Longman & Eagle in Logan Square is awesome. Gastropub with a great and quirky menu. Really reasonable with great whiskeys and cocktails. Some of the best Vietnamese food I have had was the pho at Tank. 'Asia on Argyle' area. The Green Mill is a killer old school jazz club uptown that has a Sat set from like 2-6am. I definitely showed up there around 3AM a few times where they are going strong, lol. I had really awesome sushi at Jellyfish. The Girl and The Goat is another popular restaurant. Tough to get in. Haven't been but my friends all love it.
My wife and I went to Alinea celebrate our one year anniversary... One of the most amazing meals of my life. Everything was perfect and everything had a purpose... To the type of silverware to the placement of the plates for a course. Have you been to Grace? It opened last year and is comparable to Alinea but less stuffy and less expensive by a bit (still pricey though). Alinea was amazing but it is like going to the symphony whereas Grace is like going to see a really good movie or a sporting event.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom