OT: Dirk or Garnett? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Dirk or Garnett?

Eric15

Living Legend
This question came to me while watching the NBA playoffs this weekend:

Who would you rank higher on your list of greatest players ever: Dirk Nowitzki or Kevin Garnett, and why?

eao1115 said:
This question came to me while watching the NBA playoffs this weekend: Who would you rank higher on your list of greatest players ever: Dirk Nowitzki or Kevin Garnett, and why?
Dirk. Better offensively. He won with no one. Kg struggled with no one.

Dirk. Better offensively. He won with no one. Kg struggled with no one.

I disagree. The Mavs didn't have another superstar, but they had a bunch of good players around Dirk. Chandler, Marion, Terry, Kidd(who still had a little left)...they were quite a bit better than any of Garnett's Minnesota teams.

I'd take Garnett. His advantage defensively was a lot bigger than Dirk's advantage offensively.

OrangeDW said:
I disagree. The Mavs didn't have another superstar, but they had a bunch of good players around Dirk. Chandler, Marion, Terry, Kidd(who still had a little left)...they were quite a bit better than any of Garnett's Minnesota teams. I'd take Garnett. His advantage defensively was a lot bigger than Dirk's advantage offensively.
Compared to the C's those dudes were blah. Chandler is such an overrated scrub.

I think Garnett is the overall better player, but among the greats I would rank Dirk higher due to the fact that the team was built around him, rather than having the luck for the stars to align placing him in a better team position.

I would probably go with Dirk by a slim margin due to the fact that he changed the PF position completely.

This is really hard. Dirk is a one of a kind player but Garnett is far more polarizing. As far as I know no one really dislikes Dirk can not say the same for Garnett but got to give the edge slightly to Garnett.

I think if Dirk keeps chugging along for a few more years I would go with him. Might take KG right now.

KG for sure. His scoring numbers are down a bit compared to other stars, but during his prime he was able to dominate defensively and as a rebounder. That's a lot more rare of an attribute than being a high scorer.

Both in their prime, I'd take KG. But I think Dirk is awesome, as well. Tough choice.

KG for sure. His scoring numbers are down a bit compared to other stars, but during his prime he was able to dominate defensively and as a rebounder. That's a lot more rare of an attribute than being a high scorer.

Both in their prime, I'd take KG. But I think Dirk is awesome, as well. Tough choice.

You evolved from "for sure" to "tough choice" over the course of your post. ;)

eao1115 said:
No right or wrong when picking between two first ballot hofers

for the totality of their careers, Dirk has a slight edge

but if choosing between each one at their peak, I'll take KG

At his peak, Garnett was the much better rebounder, much better defender, better passer, and just slightly below Dirk as a scorer.

KG was averaging 22-24 ppg, 12-14 reb. per game, and 4-6 assist per game while making first team all defense every year for about 8 years in a row. He was ridiculously good.

Dirk is better now, and has been for about 5 years. But he's played like 200 less games. Garnett's knees have been shot for awhile.

And I have grown to hate Garnett and I've always liked Dirk. But I have to give KG his due. He was the better all around player. Both have an MVP, a title, and will be shoe-in hall of famers though.

for the totality of their careers, Dirk has a slight edge

but if choosing between each one at their peak, I'll take KG

I'm in this boat. Dirk has a slight edge, especially after 2011 and what he has done this year as well.

But KG at his apex was a monster. He wasn't Duncan, but he was incredibly good. You were getting 20, 10 and 5 plus elite level defense.

KG is the better player than Dirk unless Dirk plays 2-3 more quality seasons. KG's supporting cast in Minnesota was crap. Marbury was traded for Terrel Brandon and crap. Joe Smith was junk even though he was a #1 overall pick. The only season they gave KG support in Minnesota with Sprewell and Cassell the TWolves made the West finals. If the Wolves were in the East during KG's prime they probably play in 1 or 2 Finals instead of the 76ers/Nets teams.

Dirk could never play defense and was only MVP in the 2007 in a terrible NBA season. Steve Nash and Dirk won MVPs in 3 straight years that is nuts when neither could play any defense. KG showed in Boston he could win a title with a good core. Give KG Jason Terry, Michael Finley, Steve Nash, Josh Howard he wins a title. Of course Bennett Salvadore costed Dirk the 2006 title so he does have that argument.

The best players of the Dirk/KG era IMO
1. Tim Duncan
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Shaquille O'Neal
4. Kevin Garnett
5. Dirk Nowitski
6. Jason Kidd
7. Steve Nash
8. Pau Gasol
9. Paul Pierce
10. Ray Allen

This question came to me while watching the NBA playoffs this weekend:

Who would you rank higher on your list of greatest players ever: Dirk Nowitzki or Kevin Garnett, and why?

They're so different. You would sub for Dirk on the defensive end, but he is option 1 with the ball. His offensive repertoire is being copied around the world now, while KG was a complete player at his peak and top notch defender his whole career. If granting style points, go with Dirk's back foot fade away from 20 feet, but if you like hard nosed get that out of here defense, it is KG.

No, I think that KG has the edge for the reasons that you and others have outlined in recent posts above.

But Dirk is a great player, too. A first ballot HOFer, in my opinion, and I don't want to short change his capabilities.

My statement about it being a tough choice was really more about comparing them both in their prime. And the more I think about it, their careers have some parallels [both toiling for franchises that weren't always consistent winners despite their consistent excellence, one title coming later in their careers, etc.].

Big fan of both players.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom