Class of 2016 - OT /DL Thomas Schaffer (IL) Offered | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OT /DL Thomas Schaffer (IL) Offered

VandySportscom ‏@VandySportscom 4m4 minutes ago
Vanderbilt offer intrigues Thomas Schaffer. His HS coach describes him as a 'beast'.

B-P4SbrIgAAwoIM.jpg:large

Beth Long ‏@Beth_Long 11m11 minutes ago
LFA's @THschaffer came to the states from Austria 1.5 yrs ago. He talks learning a lot, fast about American Football: http://recruiting.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./story/1520230-schaffer-s-journey?s=73…

Free article...

Feb 22, 2015 | 03:18 pm

Schaffer's Journey
http://imgix.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./111/1117800.jpg?w=50&h=50&faces=true
Beth LongMidwest Field Reporter
Thomas Schaffer from Lake Forest Academy.
Just a year and a half ago, Schaffer came to board at Lake Forest Academy from Austria -- where his family still lives.
Since the move, Schaffer has not only had to adjust to boarding school, American life, American football on the field, but also the landscape of the NCAA -- something he knew very little about when he moved to the States.
"I came in August 2013. In Austria in 2012, everyone knew these three teams: Alabama, LSU, and Oregon. It was like everyone knew those three teams for some reason," Schaffer said. "And, I have known about them and like related Nick Saban to Alabama."
He added, "Otherwise, it was pretty much Wisconsin, Oregon, and I mean I have played on NCAA with teams like TCU. I honestly didn't know much when I moved, but now I know the top 128 teams very well."
The recruiting process has been surreal for Schaffer -- who has recently added offers from Oregon, Wisconsin and many others.
"Oregon was pretty much the first team that I got involved with here," Schaffer said. "And of course back hoe you see people wear sweatshirts from other teams. Like, for example Ohio State. I have seen a couple people back home wearing Ohio State sweatshirts. Then I come here for one year and I know exactly what Ohio State is all about."
The most recent offer for Schaffer came from the Badgers.
"I have heard about them in Austria, I knew about Wisconsin. I don't know how but I followed them for a while. And their linebacker Chris Borland is a shorter guy but he is one of the best players I have ever seen. I like the community there, that is all I have known about Wisconsin. I think I am going to visit soon to see what it is all about."
It may be a whole different landscape of football, but Schaffer is enjoying the continual adjustment and learning as much as he can about every program he hears from.
"It is just a great feeling, talking to the coaches just I can't describe it because I would have never thought that this would happen to me. When I heard about the offer from Oregon, it really still hasn't set in. The same with getting the offer from Wisconsin," Schaffer said. "They had defensive lineman like J.J. Watt, who is my size. It's just a great feeling to see how it is happening and talk to the coaches about what you could do at their school and giving you love about everything."

Tom VanHaaren ‏@TomVH 5h5 hours ago
2016 DL Thomas Schaffer (Lake Forest, Ill.) says he is planning visits to Northwestern, Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue in the near future

The kid should know it's spelled Shafer! ;)

Robin Bowkett ‏@coachbowkett 57m57 minutes ago Lake Forest, IL
@TomVH: Leaving Austria has paid off for 2016 DL Thomas Schaffer @THschaffer (FREE) http://es.pn/1F67BB5 pic.twitter.com/QqwXxYyg2D”LFAonESPN

Leaving Austria has paid off for DL recruit Thomas Schaffer
March, 29, 2015
Mar 29
10:00
AM ET
By Tom VanHaaren | ESPN.com

Thomas Schaffer didn’t just have to convince his mother to let him play football like most kids; he had to convince her to let him play football half way around the world.

Schaffer and his family live in Vienna, Austria, but the 2016 lineman got a taste for what American football is like in 2012 when he traveled to Texas with the Under 19 Austrian team.

“I was 15 and we played against Panama, Team USA and Japan. When we played I just loved playing, even though I was the youngest guy there,” he said. “It was just a great feeling and I decided then that I wanted to do this on a higher level.”

So Schaffer went back to Austria and told his mother he would travel to America for one year to pursue his new dream. Because academics are very important to the family, and because Shaffer would be traveling alone, he needed to find the right school.

The family found Lake Forest Academy in Illinois, which ranks highly on the academic side and also has a dormitory for its students to live. The only problem was once Shaffer got to his new home, he didn’t want to leave.

“I told my mom that I was going for one year and then it worked out that I said it was really good here and I asked if I could stay longer,” he said. “So it’s turned out to be three years. Next year will be my third year and it’s been very productive so far.”

Productive to say the least. Schaffer, who is not just new to the game, but new to the country, currently holds 18 scholarship offers from some of the biggest schools around the country including Cal, Nebraska, Oregon, Stanford, Vanderbilt and Wisconsin.

The first offer came from Illinois in June 2014. His head coach didn’t tell him until his junior year, though, and the news came as a huge shock. When he told his mother and sent her a link to all his recruiting profile pages, she didn’t really understand what it meant.

When he sent the links and news to his friends back home, who also played football, they were just as shocked as he was.

The offer from the Illini was a big deal, but there was one offer in particular that still stands out to the 6-foot-6, 245-pound lineman.

“There are three big schools in Austria: LSU, Alabama and Oregon. Nick Saban at Alabama and Oregon just because they have swag,” he said. “Oregon was the first team I’ve known about and the coach said they wanted to get in front of me, but I was in Austria for the winter. I sent him some mail and then I called him and they offered me as soon as I got back. It was amazing.”

While his mother is now a little more familiar with the recruiting process, it’s still all very new to the family. The decision to let their son travel alone to a new country was difficult, but one thing is for sure: Schaffer won’t have to do any more convincing for his mother to let him play football in America.