OT: Doug Marrone Interim coach of Jags | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Doug Marrone Interim coach of Jags

Oh boy not another Marrone thread...get over it boys he's in his element where he can coach and not recruit.

DFB is a master recruiter and aren't we are getting our best class in 15 years? Start winning and it's only going to get better!

Move on people...nothing to see here...

Chaka, no offense but this is what message boards do. We go on and on about subjects that still matter to ppl. Marrone's exit is still a scar for many people so i think it's a great topic to discuss while we have nothing else to discuss SU football wise.

Marrone left b/c he couldn't handle college football and he left the Bills because the situation allowed him to. Both decisions can't be determined for another 4-5 years if they were the right ones for Doug. Certainly it wasn't good for SU, we have enough evidence to support that with SU Football at the bottom again. Future looks bright but having the past 3 seasons is painful no matter what.

He took it knowing worse case was he had a $4M parachute and would have to go to plan b through z.

It didn't work out best for either party.
It doesn't necessarily make it a bad bet (I think he and his agent thought they were a bigger deal than they were) but I don't agree with this idea that you just quit because of working for a different boss

People on here seem to forget that there are really only 3 ways to leave a coaching job...

Retire - Happens 1 out of 100 maybe
Quit - Happens all the time
Get Fired - Happens all the time

When the other 2 ways happen, these coaches ALWAYS get re-hired by someone else and to think that one way is better or worse than the other is insanity. Why? Because the next person doing the hiring really doesn't care.

Facts.

He took it knowing worse case was he had a $4M parachute and would have to go to plan b through z.

It didn't work out best for either party.
2 years later, im guessing hes around plan P now.

Only problem with all that is that Marrone is not Parcells or Belichick.

A glib response.

But, three things to consider.

First, Belichick was not "Belichick" when he quit on the Jets.

Second, your post - citing the professional gravitas of a guy like Parcells - underscores why a young newly hired NFL head coach would/should heed the man's advice.

Third, and I think most important, i suspect that a guy like Parcells would maintain that certain rules of professional interaction always apply, regardless of the eventual or past success of the particular head coach.

A glib response.

Second, your post - citing the professional gravitas of a guy like Parcells - underscores why a young newly hired NFL head coach would/should heed the man's advice.

Third, and I think most important, i suspect that a guy like Parcells would maintain that certain rules of professional interaction always apply, regardless of the eventual or past success of the particular head coach.
discussing Belichick quiting on the jets, when he never even ran a practice or even walked into the facility as HC, is just asinine.

and this...i suspect that a guy like Parcells would maintain that certain rules of professional interaction always apply...would be a negative.

if you want him to cook the dinner, you better let him shop for the groceries...

Parcells maneuvering to the jets was well orchestrated and went as youd expect, for someone of his stature.

Marrone maneuvering to the jets was as orchestrated and went as youd expect, for someone of his stature.

Parcells also had the luxury of having proven himself with the NYG well before the Patriots.

When you get a Super Bowl ring, you are looked at far differently. Far. Differently.

For Marrone to act or think like Parcells, if true, was blunder city career wise as it has played out thus far.

I don't know if you read Parcells' recent authorized bio, but he explains himself pretty well.

When he was hired by Orthwein in New England he was given the kind of authority that he felt he needed to succeed.

When Kraft took over the new owner rescinded some of that authority - despite the fact that Parcells, as you say, had already "proven himself." In other words, Parcells' track record did not cause Kraft to look at him "far differently."

It was that situation that informed Parcells' future interactions with ownership.

And it was that situation that undoubtedly prompted his advice to Marrone.

If the guy who did not hire you messes with you - a two-time Super Bowl Champion - it is very likely that a new owner with no football pedigree, will mess with a young, newly hired NFL HC.

So, the notion that it was a "blunder" for Marrone to heed Parcells' advice, I think, is overstating it.

It might be true that Marrone misjudged the job market and figured that he would get another HC position quickly. On the other hand, he very well may have figured that it was more important to him not to work for a new owner than to get the next HC position.

discussing Belichick quiting on the jets, when he never even ran a practice or even walked into the facility as HC, is just asinine.

and this...i suspect that a guy like Parcells would maintain that certain rules of professional interaction always apply...would be a negative.

if you want him to cook the dinner, you better let him shop for the groceries...

Parcells maneuvering to the jets was well orchestrated and went as youd expect, for someone of his stature.

Marrone maneuvering to the jets was as orchestrated and went as youd expect, for someone of his stature.

Sorry, but I have no idea what this means.

Have a good day!

I don't know if you read Parcells' recent authorized bio, but he explains himself pretty well.

When he was hired by Orthwein in New England he was given the kind of authority that he felt he needed to succeed.

When Kraft took over the new owner rescinded some of that authority - despite the fact that Parcells, as you say, had already "proven himself." In other words, Parcells' track record did not cause Kraft to look at him "far differently."

It was that situation that informed Parcells' future interactions with ownership.

If the guy who did not hire you messes with you - a two-time Super Bowl Champion - it is very likely that a new owner with no football pedigree, will mess with a young, newly hired NFL HC.

So, the notion that it was a "blunder" for Marrone to heed Parcells' advice, I think, is overstating it.

It might be true that Marrone misjudged the job market and figured that he would get another HC position quickly. On the other hand, he very well may have figured that it was more important to him not to work for a new owner than to get the next HC position.

I'll use a political analogy...Members of Congress often give candidates advice on how they "did it" and it's usually some dumb story in a vacuum that worked in their particular circumstance. Marrone didn't have the Parcells driver in his bag.

Marrone didn't have the Parcells driver in his bag.

Well, I could go on about sainthood.

Loved him as coach at SU. Hope we can get back to that level of play. But as for him, I really don't care because he's never coming back here and never coming back to the Bills. I guess I care enough to read and respond in the thread, but that's it.

Serenity now... seriously.

Well, I could go on about sainthood.

Loved him as coach at SU. Hope we can get back to that level of play. But as for him, I really don't care because he's never coming back here and never coming back to the Bills. I guess I care enough to read and respond in the thread, but that's it.

Serenity now... seriously.
discussing marrone's job status around the holidays is as common as Christmas Vacation on the tube.

and if we were handing out roles, ole St Doug would be Cousin Eddie.

If he goes 2-0, does JAX hire as HC, I bet they do, unless they think they have a homerun hire like Waterloo's hometown hero.

I'll use a political analogy...Members of Congress often give candidates advice on how they "did it" and it's usually some dumb story in a vacuum that worked in their particular circumstance. Marrone didn't have the Parcells driver in his bag.
usually this advice makes some reference to The Road Not Taken by Frost that is completely wrong

If he goes 2-0, does JAX hire as HC, I bet they do, unless they think they have a homerun hire like Waterloo's hometown hero.
I cant imagine they would fire a guy with 2 games to go, to hire the OL coach who was there with him or a retired guy in the league office.

i guess stranger things have happened for sure...

It's shocking that Gus Bradley lasted that long. Does he have the lowest winning % ever for someone who coached 3+ years?

discussing marrone's job status around the holidays is as common as Christmas Vacation on the tube.

and if we were handing out roles, ole St Doug would be Cousin Eddie.
Obligatory:

cousin-eddie-xmas1.jpg

Why was that hate, lol? Sarcasm? Yep.

He quit two jobs because of management above him. Facts. I hope he was able to learn a lot about himself and what it means to perform in less than perfect conditions.
Leaving SU to go to the NFL is like a professor leaving SUNY Potsdam to go to Harvard. Its what you should do, if you want to measure yourself.

That's terrible advice and Parcels is an idiot.

If the Jags win their last 2 games against the Colts and Titans , both teams trying to make the playoffs, then the team would have played had for him and want him to be named head coach for 2017.

A glib response.

My in depth response to your three things ;)

1. Belichick had been named as successor by Parcells in NY. Marrone had no such endorsement when he left Buffalo. Belichick also had a deal worked out already to go to NE, when he resigned (he was hired the very next day after resigning.)
Belichick also never actually coached as NYJ HC. Marrone had already won and lost a bunch of games, but maybe more importantly - had begun to lose the faith of the players.

2. Lacking in gravitas and an endorsement from a proven HC like Parcells, and not having a backup job locked up - is exactly why he should have stayed. Prove yourself and get an extension OR do as good a job as you can and get fired by a new owner. Either way he comes out better.

3. Parcells and Belichick didn't handle the NYJ handoff with "professional interaction"... Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Bottom line is that he thought more of himself than a lot of other NFL people did. He bet on himself and lost. He also failed to see how his actions would hurt him, politically with owners and GMs.

This is vastly understated.

Leaving SU to go to the NFL is like a professor leaving SUNY Potsdam to go to Harvard. Its what you should do, if you want to measure yourself.

I agree with that actually. He had to go. But the way he left and his comments and stuff he let out about his time here made him look like he couldn't handle adversity. Or like a precursor of things to come...

My in depth response to your three things ;)

1. Belichick had been named as successor by Parcells in NY. Marrone had no such endorsement when he left Buffalo. Belichick also had a deal worked out already to go to NE, when he resigned (he was hired the very next day after resigning.)
Belichick also never actually coached as NYJ HC. Marrone had already won and lost a bunch of games, but maybe more importantly - had begun to lose the faith of the players.

2. Lacking in gravitas and an endorsement from a proven HC like Parcells, and not having a backup job locked up - is exactly why he should have stayed. Prove yourself and get an extension OR do as good a job as you can and get fired by a new owner. Either way he comes out better.

3. Parcells and Belichick didn't handle the NYJ handoff with "professional interaction"... Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Bottom line is that he thought more of himself than a lot of other NFL people did. He bet on himself and lost. He also failed to see how his actions would hurt him, politically with owners and GMs.
Doesn't the coach of a team have to believe the GM and the owners want him there ? Whaley did not want him and convinced Pegula that he was not a good coach. This is after Whaley drafted EJ , used 2 first round picks on a WR . Then what is the best he can come up with as a coach , Rex. He is the weak link.

Doesn't the coach of a team have to believe the GM and the owners want him there ? Whaley did not want him and convinced Pegula that he was not a good coach. This is after Whaley drafted EJ , used 2 first round picks on a WR . Then what is the best he can come up with as a coach , Rex. He is the weak link.

You can do two things when you feel you're not being supported from above:

- Do your best with what you have, knowing that other GMs/Owners will see it come out in the wash if you get fired. Chance at getting another HC job? Pretty good.

- Quit abruptly in what looks like a tantrum and/or shrewd move to stick it to ownership. Chance as getting another HC job? Not as good.