Class of 2015 - OT: Duke Absolutely Killing the Recruiting Game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OT: Duke Absolutely Killing the Recruiting Game

Trueblue25 said:
Ub has the pleasure of hosting baylor at home this year. Ill be in attendance. :(couchburn

I would not doubt if the Bears flip the scoreboard on UB. I've read reports that they may be BETTER than last year.

Going way back, I would guess that Duke has had a much tougher schedule than Stanford. Simply because they are on the East coast, with a lot more/better football teams.

Stanford plays in the PAC 8 10 12. USC , UCLA, and Cal have been good.
Stanford has had Bill Walsh, Pop Warner, and Ty Wilingham as notable coaches.
Duke has had Steve Spurier.
I get the comparison and I agree Cutcliff has Duke heading in the right direction but history wise they really don't compare at this point.

I get the comparison and I agree Cutcliff has Duke heading in the right direction but history wise they really don't compare at this point.
100% agree. But whoever plays Duke this year had better get it out of their head that they are not a football school , because Cutcliff is a great coach and this team is got a head of steam.

100% agree. But whoever plays Duke this year had better get it out of their head that they are not a football school , because Cutcliff is a great coach and this team is got a head of steam.

Absolutely agree. They aren't the Duke of a few years ago! I'm not trying to down play Duke at all, I just think comparing them to a program that has a tradition that people know nationally in Stanford is giving the year Duke had way too much credibility historically for one successful year.

Absolutely agree. They aren't the Duke of a few years ago! I'm not trying to down play Duke at all, I just think comparing them to a program that has a tradition that people know nationally in Stanford is giving the year Duke had way too much credibility historically for one successful year.
Agreed. However, Cutcliff being at Duke is no happenstance. He could have many other prime positions in the SEC. He is a very respected coach in the southern coaching fraternity who has a vast "oldboy" recruiting network throughout the south. He has 4 years in now and the system is in place and the motherlode of recruits are coming.

Yeah, but you were talking about overall record. Top could be tougher, but I doubt bottom.

Walsh actually had two stints as the Stanford HC. His combined record was an unremarkable 34-24-1.

What really caught my attention was the 17-17-1 record for his second stint that ran from 1992-94. His season-by-season records were:
1992 10-2
1993 4-7
1994 3-7-1
The next two seasons ('95 and '96) were coached by Ty Willingham who managed 7-4-1 and 7-5 records respectively. So it makes me wonder if Walsh simply lost interest or if he didn't have the correct personal for his system?

Yeah, but you were talking about overall record. Top could be tougher, but I doubt bottom.

In my opinion Duke is not on Stanford's level. Maybe in a few years but they currently are not. As far as tradition goes Stanford has the better one

Last edited:
Walsh actually had two stints as the Stanford HC. His combined record was an unremarkable 34-24-1.

What really caught my attention was the 17-17-1 record for his second stint that ran from 1992-94. His season-by-season records were:
1992 10-2
1993 4-7
1994 3-7-1
The next two seasons ('95 and '96) were coached by Ty Willingham who managed 7-4-1 and 7-5 records respectively. So it makes me wonder if Walsh simply lost interest or if he didn't have the correct personal for his system?

I was surprised by Walsh's overall record. Thought it would have been better. Also surprised by the years Elway was there.

I was surprised by Walsh's overall record. Thought it would have been better. Also surprised by the years Elway was there.

I definitely agree with you. Duke is no where near Stanford's level historically, and it's not even like Stanford is all that prestigious themselves.

I would equate the Elway era to the McNabb era. Looking at records for their career's you would have thought they would both have been much better.

Today Duke received a commit from their highest ranked recruit ever. A fout start WR out of VA.. Scott Bracey. He is also a 2016 who had offers from Florida State, Clemson, Ohio State, Florida, Notre Dame, and dozens of other high-profile programs.

Good for them! But 2016 signing day is a long way away, hope they can keep him but I'm sure the powerhouses won't back off.

Going to also add that along with Syracuse, Duke seems to be the major threat for Sonny Abramsom. Qb's love Cutcliffe. They are definitely on the rise in a big way. Just always thought Cutcliffe would out scheme people, not out recruit him. Give him talent in that division and watch out.

Last edited:
Good thing we play them this year i guess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom