OT: Emmert on Paying Players | Syracusefan.com

OT: Emmert on Paying Players

javadoc

All American
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9682086/ncaa-budge-paying-college-athletes

Nothing groundbreaking, but my takeaway is this:

"While there may not be interest in paying players, the NCAA's Division I Board of Directors has twice approved a rules change that would allow schools to give athletes a stipend to cover expenses not covered by their scholarship -- clothes, travel, meals out with their friends. But the full membership has overridden it, with some smaller schools saying they were not interested or did not have the money to pay stipends."

Next up, changes to the by-laws to allow the super-sub-division.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9682086/ncaa-budge-paying-college-athletes

Nothing groundbreaking, but my takeaway is this:

"While there may not be interest in paying players, the NCAA's Division I Board of Directors has twice approved a rules change that would allow schools to give athletes a stipend to cover expenses not covered by their scholarship -- clothes, travel, meals out with their friends. But the full membership has overridden it, with some smaller schools saying they were not interested or did not have the money to pay stipends."

Next up, changes to the by-laws to allow the super-sub-division.

All for it if they give the NCAA more power to sanction teams that pay or break the rules in addition to the stipend.

Won't happen cause SEC, but hey.

All for it if they give the NCAA more power to sanction teams that pay or break the rules in addition to the stipend.

Won't happen cause SEC, but hey.
And what's worse, is that once you get the "secessionists" into their own organizational sub-unit, you are making it easier for them to break away as a group. They know this, and will be even more over overweening in bucking the rules and demanding special treatment. Special rules will be added over time that apply only to the bigs, stuff that is optional and doesn't "burden" the littles outside the club, until eventually the split happens. At least this drags it out a bit and makes it a controlled process.