Class of 2015 - OT Evan Adams (CT) Signed LOI | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OT Evan Adams (CT) Signed LOI

B9BlUtDIcAIX8lb.jpg:large

54d2b61eef025.image.jpg

In front of family, extended family, family friends, coaches, administrators and teammates, Evan Adams celebrated the decision that he first made in June.

He is going to continue his football career at Syracuse University.

"He's a great kid, he is very humble," Norwalk head coach Sean Ireland said. "He realizes how hard he had to work to get here."

Getting to this day was not easy for Adams who lost his father to lung cancer in 2007 and was raised by his mother Alisa Adams.

"We struggled after his dad passed away," Alisa Adams said. "I never wanted to raise a child alone."

She didn't do it totally alone and it showed on Wednesday as family member after family member walked into Norwalk High School wearing shirts of their new favorite college football team, the Syracuse Orange.

"He has had a big support system around him," said Alisa Adams, who signed up her son for a mentor with the Big Brothers Big Sisters program after his father passed away. "I have nine brothers and sisters."

As Adams walked into the Public Forum room, filled with green and orange balloons, for both Norwalk and Syracuse, the highlights from his career played in the background on the projection screen. He stopped by and said hello to every single family member, every family friend, every teammate, anyone who was there to support him.

"My family is big, I can lean on them for whatever I needed, and I was never afraid to ask," Adams said. "They were the people who gave me tough love, they are not afraid to tell me right from wrong."

In 2007, Adams made a promise to his father that he would go to college and get a diploma.

It was both family and education that stood out about Syracuse for the two-way star, who was named to the GameTimeCT All-State and All-FCIAC teams.

"The level of football that they are offering in the ACC was first," said Adams, but then it changed. "It has a family feel with the coaching staff and team. (Education) played a huge role, business and communication is huge there. It is comfortable to have so many options."

He added that head coach Scott Shafer and himself see eye to eye.

"We are like-minded from what he wants to do with the program to what he wants from me," Adams said.

Adams will play on the offensive line for the Orange and is expected to be one of five offensive linemen signed by the Orange.

Now with the signing behind him, Adams admitted that he wasn't really that nervous.

"Just joy, signing and knowing that I am going to Syracuse," he said.

Even with Syracuse University four-and-a-half hours away by car and a little over an hour by plane, Adams wouldn't be surprised if his big family will be there to cheer him on.

"I have no idea, my mom has nine brothers and sisters, cousins, cousins' cousins," he said. "It's going to be ridiculous."

http://www.thehour.com/sports/high-...cle_68255f38-1361-5bc5-94c7-95a3e6fb7929.html

That is one big kid, can't wait to see him maul some opposing defensive linemen.
Looks a little doughy. Excited to see him in a college S&C program. Hopefully they can redshirt him.

Looks a little doughy. Excited to see him in a college S&C program. Hopefully they can redshirt him.
Saw a tweet from Denzel Ward to Eric Crume saying he hopes no recruits show up in as bad of shape as he did because they'll be puking for the first couple weeks of workouts. Got a feeling Adams will be a good one. Kid is a house.

Saw a tweet from Denzel Ward to Eric Crume saying he hopes no recruits show up in as bad of shape as he did because they'll be puking for the first couple weeks of workouts. Got a feeling Adams will be a good one. Kid is a house.
Hope Ward is in shape by the start of spring ball this year - we're going to need him sooner rather than later. Came in with a lot of promise.

54d2b61eef025.image.jpg

In front of family, extended family, family friends, coaches, administrators and teammates, Evan Adams celebrated the decision that he first made in June.

He is going to continue his football career at Syracuse University.

"He's a great kid, he is very humble," Norwalk head coach Sean Ireland said. "He realizes how hard he had to work to get here."

Getting to this day was not easy for Adams who lost his father to lung cancer in 2007 and was raised by his mother Alisa Adams.

"We struggled after his dad passed away," Alisa Adams said. "I never wanted to raise a child alone."

She didn't do it totally alone and it showed on Wednesday as family member after family member walked into Norwalk High School wearing shirts of their new favorite college football team, the Syracuse Orange.

"He has had a big support system around him," said Alisa Adams, who signed up her son for a mentor with the Big Brothers Big Sisters program after his father passed away. "I have nine brothers and sisters."

As Adams walked into the Public Forum room, filled with green and orange balloons, for both Norwalk and Syracuse, the highlights from his career played in the background on the projection screen. He stopped by and said hello to every single family member, every family friend, every teammate, anyone who was there to support him.

"My family is big, I can lean on them for whatever I needed, and I was never afraid to ask," Adams said. "They were the people who gave me tough love, they are not afraid to tell me right from wrong."

In 2007, Adams made a promise to his father that he would go to college and get a diploma.

It was both family and education that stood out about Syracuse for the two-way star, who was named to the GameTimeCT All-State and All-FCIAC teams.

"The level of football that they are offering in the ACC was first," said Adams, but then it changed. "It has a family feel with the coaching staff and team. (Education) played a huge role, business and communication is huge there. It is comfortable to have so many options."

He added that head coach Scott Shafer and himself see eye to eye.

"We are like-minded from what he wants to do with the program to what he wants from me," Adams said.

Adams will play on the offensive line for the Orange and is expected to be one of five offensive linemen signed by the Orange.

Now with the signing behind him, Adams admitted that he wasn't really that nervous.

"Just joy, signing and knowing that I am going to Syracuse," he said.

Even with Syracuse University four-and-a-half hours away by car and a little over an hour by plane, Adams wouldn't be surprised if his big family will be there to cheer him on.

"I have no idea, my mom has nine brothers and sisters, cousins, cousins' cousins," he said. "It's going to be ridiculous."

http://www.thehour.com/sports/high-...cle_68255f38-1361-5bc5-94c7-95a3e6fb7929.html
Another great kid with a great family and compelling story. Very easy to root for this kid.

We met Evan on a Trey's OV. He is HUGE in person (tall/big) and a very bright, polite kid! And Ward is right about showing up in shape. Trey was in great shape and says he occasionally throws up :eek:
He just says though that he's usually one of the last to get sick lol

We met Evan on a Trey's OV. He is HUGE in person (tall/big) and a very bright, polite kid! And Ward is right about showing up in shape. Trey was in great shape and says he occasionally throws up :eek:
He just says though that he's usually one of the last to get sick lol

Remind Trey that the memories of everyone getting sick will be entertaining stories later in life. My dad playedat SU and, to this day, he still loves to bring up how he came in as a freshman and was one of five people in his recruiting class to show up and pass the SU football fitness test at the time (and he was a linemen so that's saying something). The coaches then just ran and worked them all out to death and everyone was throwing up. It sounds disgusting but he always has this huge grin on his face and it always makes him laugh. It even makes me laugh the way he tells it. So while the workouts out probably really suck right now, Trey will likely look back upon them fondly.

Do they still do the 14 110-yard sprints? I think it was something like that under Coach P. Not sure what it is now but I'm sure it's equally daunting.

Do they still do the 14 110-yard sprints? I think it was something like that under Coach P. Not sure what it is now but I'm sure it's equally daunting.
I know there's a day where they do 30+ 110's. We had our kids do 14 this year on a heavy conditioning day, un-timed. Kids hate hundo's, lol.

Tremendous story. His dad gave him a book of Latin when he was still in grade school! Carpe touchdown.

Also noted that his HS coach sent tape to the staff before his senior year. It's not clear if we already knew about him and this was an expected "update" or if we discovered him through this coach's actions. It makes me wonder - how many of the kids we recruit now are "discovered" by the staff, versus being alerted to them by their HS coach?