OT: Group files complaint against [Clemson]Tigers | Syracusefan.com

OT: Group files complaint against [Clemson]Tigers

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
The Freedom From Religion Foundation has lodged a letter of complaint to Clemson, charging coach Dabo Swinney and his staff with "unconstitutional behavior" at the public university.

Among the concerns outlined in the complaint by the FFRF, based on information obtained from an open records request:

• Swinney personally invited James Trapp to become team chaplain -- in violation of the Constitution and university guidelines on hiring chaplains -- and gave Trapp access to the entire team for Bible studies.

• Swinney schedules team devotionals.

• Swinney has organized transportation for coaches and players to "Church Days."

University spokeswoman Cathy Sams issued a statement saying the school would evaluate the complaints raised but believes Swinney and his staff are not violating the separation of church and state guaranteed in the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

"Participation in religious activities is purely voluntary, and there are no repercussions for students who decline to do so," the statement read. "We are not aware of any complaints from current or former student-athletes about feeling pressured or forced to participate in religious activities."

Swinney is not being made available to comment, but he has been outspoken in his religious views. In December, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported that Swinney tells recruits on visits, "I'm a Christian. If you have a problem with that, you don't have to be here."

In the same report, former safety Rashard Hall told the publication, "If you're there, you're going to know Jesus, you're going to know verses in the Bible -- it's weaved in the culture. There's a drawing-in towards Christianity."

Two years ago, then-Tigers receiver DeAndre Hopkins asked permission to be baptized in front of coaches and teammates in a cold tub after practice. The story went viral after assistant coach Jeff Scott tweeted a photo of Hopkins sitting in the tub.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a state/church watchdog based in Madison, Wis., wants the school to direct Swinney and Trapp to immediately stop team prayers, sermons, Bible studies and "church days" for players, train staff about their First Amendment obligations, and monitor compliance.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-lodges-complaint-clemson-tigers-dabo-swinney

fucuse_medium.gif

How many non-Christians on Clemson's FB team? Just wonderin'...

And by the way, going for it on 4th down when you are clearly ahead is certainly *ahem* a non-Christian act.

How many non-Christians on Clemson's FB team? Just wonderin'...

And by the way, going for it on 4th down when you are clearly ahead is certainly *ahem* a non-Christian act.
Really...

Smh

It's ok. If Clemson's coach was a Muslim or a Jew and he told recruits that if they had a problem with that, then they don't have to be there, the Clemson community would be totally fine with that, I am certain.

It's ok. If Clemson's coach was a Muslim or a Jew and he told recruits that if they had a problem with that, then they don't have to be there, the Clemson community would be totally fine with that, I am certain.

If they were winning games i'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter.

I'm pretty sure religion is a big part of recruiting, especially in the south. I wonder what GMac says when he sits down at a high profile recruits dinner table in Florida/Georgia with the kid's pentecostal parents.

You don't have to like it but Clemson seems to be doing just fine recruiting wise.

Mark Richt is an outspoken Christian down here in Georgia and people love him for it, but if he doesn't start winning that will and has started to change.

Kids know what they are getting into when they sign up to play at Clemson. Why does it bother you so much? If they don't like it, they will go elsewhere and if enough kids don't like it, then he starts losing out on high profile recruits and loses his job.

Why does it bother you so much? If they don't like it, they will go elsewhere and if enough kids don't like it, then he starts losing out on high profile recruits and loses his job.

Because the coach is there for education and football coaching. That's it.
If I were the coach I would keep religion out of it because that's not what the coach is there for. Worship is great, but do it on your own time.

Because the coach is there for education and football coaching. That's it.
If I were the coach I would keep religion out of it because that's not what the coach is there for. Worship is great, but do it on your own time.
No collegiate coach believes they are just there for " education and coaching". These coaches consider themselves mentors to these kids and parents wouldn't send their kid away to a school in which they didn't think the coach would take on a father figure type role. That encompasses more than just education and football/basketball.

I'm sure Dabo treats the non-Christians and atheists on his team really, really well.

I'm sure Dabo treats the non-Christians and atheists on his team really, really well.
You're right man, he probably goes Spanish Inqusition style on them if they don't go to devotional.

Its quite clear that the coach's comment wasn't made in that tone. Its also clear that any opportunity to portray Christians as intolerant will be taken advantage of.

So if the Freedom From Religion Foundation were to win this lawsuit, wouldn't that be restricting the right of the athletes to practice Christianity with the coaches if they choose to? That would be unconstitutional. As has been stated nothing is required. The coaches inviting the kids to church or bible study is not different than HCSS inviting the team over for a BBQ and pool party.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom