OT: Hendricks Chapel's windows | Syracusefan.com

OT: Hendricks Chapel's windows

Yegorange

Starter
My mother worked for King & King (architectural firm in Manlius) back in the day. She designed these iron castings on Hendricks Chapel's windows. Maybe some have noticed them. So proud of her, relatively small, contribution to our Alma Mater. But to me - it's huge, though she minimizes it to this day (calling it insignificant). You be the judges.

image.jpeg

My mother worked for King & King (architectural firm in Manlius) back in the day. She designed these iron castings on Hendricks Chapel's windows. Maybe some have noticed them. So proud of her, relatively small, contribution to our Alma Mater. But to me - it's huge, though she minimizes it to this day (calling it insignificant). You be the judges.

View attachment 74137

Very art nouveau.

Really? Seems more classically themed to me.

Straight lines plus curvey/semi-circley things makes me think art nouveau. Geometry in harmony with nature. Tail end of that movement. Building is classically themed.

View attachment 74137
Is your mom still living? A nice memory non the less that will be around for a long time. Every time you go to a game you can look over and see something nice that your mom did.

Is your mom still living? A nice memory non the less that will be around for a long time. Every time you go to a game you can look over and see something nice that your mom did.
Yes, she is. And these pix were taken last week - to refresh her memory. And her humble recall is also from then. Thank you!!!

Funny you guys had the same thoughts. Remember asking her at the time what's up with the bars. She shrugged, "Wasn't my idea, they asked for it. Just tried to at least make 'em pretty."
Had they not been pointed out, I may have never noticed. Amazing building, lots of great memories in that place.

My Mom and Dad met there. They had a small library and she was the librarian. He wanted to read "The Grapes of Wrath". The book was out but he took her out instead.
Sweet. That must have been your dad's pick up line, right?

Had they not been pointed out, I may have never noticed. Amazing building, lots of great memories in that place.
Thank you, that's exactly what she probably hoped for. Means she succeeded in complementing the building without distraction while fulfilling the intended utilitarian functions.

Sweet. That must have been your dad's pick up line, right?

He didn't need any after that. They were married for 63 years. There were plenty of grapes but no wrath.

He didn't need any after that. They were married for 63 years. There were plenty of grapes but no wrath.
I'm sure I speak for many here, but this particular grape is greatly - no, greater - appreciated!

Just realized how fitting that is with your last name, Steve. Serendipity!