OT: Holy cow, Flip Saunders died | Syracusefan.com

OT: Holy cow, Flip Saunders died

I honestly had no idea he was ill. Was it something that was public? This feels like it came out of nowhere.
I knew he had cancer because he reached out John Farrell when he got cancer. I just didn't know his battle was as tough as it was. This loss is gutting.

I honestly had no idea he was ill. Was it something that was public? This feels like it came out of nowhere.
This summer he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. It was considered treatable. He planned to remain HC, but in Sept the T'wolves announced he would miss the whole season. Sad, especially how quickly it happened based on the initial diagnosis.

Shockingly sad. They just announced Friday that he would be taking this season off. I remember thinking that the treatments must have been extended when I read it. Never imagined he was dying when I read it just 2 days ago. So sad.

This is just stunning to me. My dad is currently finishing radiation for non-Hodgkins lymphoma but was declared cancer free after 6 chemo sessions. It certainly wasn't easy but his was caught early so he had a good prognosis. I know Skip had Hodgkin's lymphoma which is different. But when I read his was caught early and his prognosis was positive, I figured he would have a similar outcome. Cancer is just so unpredictable.

Last edited:
This is just stunning to me. My dad is currently finishing radiation for non-Hodgkins lymphoma but was declared cancer free after 6 chemo sessions. It certainly wasn't easy but his was caught early so he had a good prognosis. I know Skip had Hodgkin's lymphoma which is different but when I read his was caught early and his prognosis was positive, I figured he would have a similar outcome. Cancer is just so unpredictable.
Hang in. Positive thoughts coming your way.

he had stepped away from the team and the team called it "serious"

I saw an article (i believe from black sports online so like a deadspin) about rumors that it was considered life threatening, but that was weeks ago and I havent heard anything since.

Sad. RIP.