OT: If you are the Knicks, do you go Towns or Okafor now? | Syracusefan.com

OT: If you are the Knicks, do you go Towns or Okafor now?

nycfan

2nd String
Of course this assumes they actually get the top pick, so far from a guarantee as they can drop as many as 3 spots from their season record rank if the ping pong balls go the wrong way. So let's just make this a general question regarding who goes #1. All season long Okafor had been listed #1 on most mock drafts. Now after his great game Saturday night, Towns has moved to the top at draftexpress.com. Towns is obviously much superior defensively. But he has now closed the gap on Okafor offensively. And it's nice to have a center that can make 80% of his free throws, compared to Okafor who is a huge liability (50%). I think it would drive me nuts if Okafor is on the Knicks for the next 10 years and never improves from the 50%. But regardless, the best thing about this is that the Knicks don't need to win the lottery to get a stud center. Just get a top-2 pick and they can get one of them (but personally I prefer Towns if given the choice). I think you need to build the franchise around a center (like they did with Ewing), so I consider it a big dropoff to Mudiay/Russell at 3/4, even though they will probably both be very good NBA players.

http://www.draftexpress.com/

Last edited:
Lets be real. The NBA draft is fixed. ZERO % chance the Knicks don't get the 1st pick. You know the NBA wants them to do well.

Lets be real. The NBA draft is fixed. ZERO % chance the Knicks don't get the 1st pick. You know the NBA wants them to do well.
the Lakers are also in the running & are more important to the NBA than the Knicks are

Last edited:
If you are the Knicks, do you go Towns or Okafor now?
that might be a little like asking who'd you rather take, Olajuwon or Bowie? Because though of course he's no MJ, people who I respect say Mudiay is that much better than anyone else in this draft.

Which is why the NBA tried to create a powerhouse in Cleveland again. ;)

I think Winslow should be in the discussion.

I'm not sure if Winslow is any better then an MKG type of player. They are the type of all round players that will move way up in the draft with performance, but they are still 4th option type guys on the floor.

I'll watch them play in the F4 before I decide. Okafor has dominated a lot of good big men this year in the ACC.

Towns is part of a 3 man C rotation and is coming off a game where the guy guarding him was smaller and in foul trouble or a midget.

I'm not sure if Winslow is any better then an MKG type of player. They are the type of all round players that will move way up in the draft with performance, but they are still 4th option type guys on the floor.
Winslow is already a WAY better shooter than MKG and also has a much stronger build. He carried Duke against Utah and has been their best player by far in the tournament. You can't teach size so Okafor or Towns will be the top pick, and I'd go w/ Towns who has much more upside and is a better defender. I just wouldn't be surprised if Winslow is the best of the bunch 5 years from now.

Towns had a great game against an undersized team. I'm not sure that he's on Okafor's level offensively.

I don't think there is any question about that, Okafor is a legit scorer and probably the best low post big man in I don't even know how long? The guy shoots all the time and he's shooting 67% from the field; that's insane.

Okafor isn't really a great defensive rebounder (has been awesome on the offensive glass) and the defense worries me just a little. I'm also picking nits, if the Knicks get either of those 2 guys I'm really happy. Sseems unlikely to me Towns will ever be the scorer Okafor is, but he's added a jumper out to like 15 feet, and I think he's going to impact the game a lot more defensively than Okafor.

Mainly I'm just happy the Knicks have a lotto pick for once.

I don't think there is any question about that, Okafor is a legit scorer and probably the best low post big man in I don't even know how long? The guy shoots all the time and he's shooting 67% from the field; that's insane.

Okafor isn't really a great defensive rebounder (has been awesome on the offensive glass) and the defense worries me just a little. I'm also picking nits, if the Knicks get either of those 2 guys I'm really happy. Sseems unlikely to me Towns will ever be the scorer Okafor is, but he's added a jumper out to like 15 feet, and I think he's going to impact the game a lot more defensively than Okafor.

Mainly I'm just happy the Knicks have a lotto pick for once.

I'm with you. I think it is still Okafor. With that said I don't think either are franchise-changing talents that would ever be a top five to ten player in the league.

I'm actually really interested to see where WCS lands. He would be a great compliment on the Lakers if the Lakers can sign Love.

What I am sure of is that the hype surrounding the top guys will be way above any real impact they'll make.

I would say Towns. I like his defense and his offense is improving. As a Celtics fan, I'm still holding out hope that the Knicks trade this pick for Gerald Wallace. Based on some of the deals they've made recently, I don't think it's completely out of the picture.

I'm with you. I think it is still Okafor. With that said I don't think either are franchise-changing talents that would ever be a top five to ten player in the league.

I'm actually really interested to see where WCS lands. He would be a great compliment on the Lakers if the Lakers can sign Love.

What I am sure of is that the hype surrounding the top guys will be way above any real impact they'll make.

I think either of them COULD be a legit franchise changer, obviously the odds are pretty much always against it, it's not like they are Anthony Davis coming out of college, but I think there's a decent chance either could be that guy, and I give Towns the slight edge.

Okafor, he is too good in the post to ignore. Towns is excellent but Okafor is a beast on the offensive end. When he isn't doubled all the time and the floor is spread out he is going to be even more dangerous.

Depends what free agent you want to get in the offseason. If you are looking at someone like Monroe/Millsap then KAT is the clear choice as his defense would be more valuable. If you are looking at an Asik/Lopez or someone like that then the clear choice is Okafor.

Give me Okafor.

Towns is the one tall kid that dominates his youth league (SEC). Once he gets into Middle School (NCAAT) and plays more talented competition he begins to decline and when he reaches High School (NBA) he's just an average player.

give me Mudiay . . . clearly he's no MJ, but asking Okafor or Towns is a bit like asking Olajuwon or Bowie

Let's be real...the Knicks have been in the lottery probably 10 times in the 2000's.

Nobody in the NBA cares if they are good or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom