OT: If you are the Knicks, do you go Towns or Okafor now? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: If you are the Knicks, do you go Towns or Okafor now?

What if the Knicks think they can land Marc Gasol? I think there is a bit more to the discussion than just which of those two is the better prospect.
The NBA should change their calendar to have free agency period BEFORE the draft like the NFL does it. Then teams know their needs for the draft. The NBA CBA that allows current team to offer higher money/years than other teams makes it unlikely free agents move. Same way Melo wasn't passing on the extra $50M the Knicks could offer vs anyone else. LeBron is a special case because his off the court income dwarfs his NBA salary. Dwight Howard just hated LA and Kobe so he was willing to take less money to go to Houston. But most guys won't walk.

There are very likely 1-2 bigs currently in college or overseas that could end up being better pros than Towns or Okafor. Of course weather or not scouts can identify who those players are remains to be seen. Porzingis? Kaminsky? WCS? Turner?

I think Towns has the bigger upside. This might sound crazy, but would you consider taking Winslow, I think he might turn out to be the best o the bunch.

Towns had a great game against an undersized team. I'm not sure that he's on Okafor's level offensively.
at least he can make a free throw

Give me Okafor.

Towns is the one tall kid that dominates his youth league (SEC). Once he gets into Middle School (NCAAT) and plays more talented competition he begins to decline and when he reaches High School (NBA) he's just an average player.
ND beat Okafor twice, Towns dominated ND

Garbs said:
ND beat Okafor twice, Towns dominated ND
Prior to this weekend id have said towns over okafor is nuts. Now it's plausible

I'd take Towns. I think Towns would of had similar numbers if he was the only Center on Duke. Towns can also stretch the defense by being able to shoot from outside the lane and will develop into a Hybrid stretch 5. Also, Okafor's knees will not hold up. I can't see that big frame lasting 82 games year in and year out.

Winslow
Winslow is already a WAY better shooter than MKG and also has a much stronger build. He carried Duke against Utah and has been their best player by far in the tournament. You can't teach size so Okafor or Towns will be the top pick, and I'd go w/ Towns who has much more upside and is a better defender. I just wouldn't be surprised if Winslow is the best of the bunch 5 years from now.
Winslow is dukes most important player right now, but okafor is there most talented. With that said, I think I take towns before okafor. Winslow is a top 10-15 pick and imo is a much more college impact type player. Undersized for the NBA but an absolute terror in college. Man amongst boys.

Okafor will never be the star some think. His defense is putrid, as is his board work. His offense will not come anywhere as easily in the nba where there a lots of big, strong, and skilled centers. Towns is not as polished in the paint and likely never will be but he is a very good jump shooter with range extending beyond the college three point line. He is a good ball handler, a very good passer, and a very good help defender. His rebounding rate is very good. Towns has a much higher ceiling, has high character (like Okafor), and has much fewer holes in his game. Towns is the guy for me.

Yeah...I know Cousins is much, much improved, but I feel like he's a ticking time bomb.
Maybe, but I think he's better than anyone in this year's draft and worth that risk.

Towns. More upside.

I think the top 4 picks are absolute locks to be future all-stars. D'Angelo Russell could end up being the best of all of them.
Russell is a stud. Always in control, supremely skilled, and just a great, great passer. The more I think about it, this class could be better than last year's much heralded draft class, at least at the top.

Russell is a stud. Always in control, supremely skilled, and just a great, great passer. The more I think about it, this class could be better than last year's much heralded draft class, at least at the top.

Absolutely ridiculous handle as well. Like GoHam said his 1 on 1 game is what can make him an elite pro. There isn't anyone better at the college level in terms of taking their guy 1 on 1, and we know that is key in the pro game.

Jury is still out. Wiggins is for real. Other than that though...who is second for ROY? Elfrid Payton? Best hair in the NBA.

With Parker and Randle injured, we'll find out more next season.

Yeah...I know Cousins is much, much improved, but I feel like he's a ticking time bomb.
He's perfect for NY, which is why he should never, ever end up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom