OT: I'm laughing at all the people this morning that want a refund on the boxing match. | Syracusefan.com

OT: I'm laughing at all the people this morning that want a refund on the boxing match.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Really. It's boxing. What did you guys expect. You should be happy it went the distance and wasn't a Mike Tyson 1st round TKO. I heard parts of Lupica's show on the radio. He is more annoying than ever. What a whiny little biotch.
th

Boxing just doesn't seem as popular now as it was years ago with the likes of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holyfield, Sugar Ray Leonard, De La Hoya, Duran, etc. I know Mayweather and Pacquiao are excellent fighters, but overall boxing isn't as big as it used to be, or at least the fan base isn't what it used to be. At least that's my perception.

I saw who won the fight this morning, that was enough for me. Didn't need to see it or especially to pay for it.

Boxing nowhere near as entertaining as MMA. It is going the way of the rotary phone. Just my $00.02

boxing killed itself - watched to many fights that the best fighter didnt win- got sick of it and stopped watching-

I grew up in the era of Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Rocky Marciano, etc. A championship fight back then (especially a heavyweight championship fight) was the "Super Bowl" of its day. They were fought in places like Yankee Stadium and were front page news for days. And they were on free tv (no PPV back then).

I grew up in the era of Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Rocky Marciano, etc. A championship fight back then (especially a heavyweight championship fight) was the "Super Bowl" of its day. They were fought in places like Yankee Stadium and were front page news for days. And they were on free tv (no PPV back then).
I remember, my first year at Syracuse, listening to the Ali-Norton fight at Yankee Stadium on the radio. Times have changed...

Boxing just doesn't seem as popular now as it was years ago with the likes of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holyfield, Sugar Ray Leonard, De La Hoya, Duran, etc. I know Mayweather and Pacquiao are excellent fighters, but overall boxing isn't as big as it used to be, or at least the fan base isn't what it used to be. At least that's my perception.

I saw who won the fight this morning, that was enough for me. Didn't need to see it or especially to pay for it.

Numbers > perception

De La Hoya isnt in Mayweathers hemisphere.

Several points.

First, what were people expecting...Arturo Gatti & Micky Ward?
Looking only at Floyd Mayweather inside the ring as a boxer...he may be the best defensive fighter ever.
Certainly in the top 3 along with Willy Pep and Pernell Whitaker.
He's going to fight the fight that he's always been successful with as a pro.
People who appreciate the science of boxing appreciate what he does.
People looking for a fight don't.

As for boxing...a lot of valid reasons for its dramatic decline in popularity...at least in the USA.
Top American athletes generally don't go into it any more.
How many people today could even name the heavyweight champ?

Top fights are rarely on "free" TV (until VERY recently, anyway).
And, unlike the UFC, it can take forever for the best to fight each other...as Mayweather-Pacquiao demonstrated.

I don't think bad decisions have much to do with it.
They've always been there...even, shall we say "pre-ordained" decisions.

Despite all that...you want to have a fun day?
Go to the IBHOF inductions in Canastota.
Some of the all-time greats show up in a small-town atmosphere and generally with relatively small crowds.
Fighters tend to be the most approachable, fan-friendly athletes.
Don't know why...but could surmise it's because they know -either consciously or innately - that they're just one false move from being finished.
And most haven't had their rear ends kissed since they were 12 years old.

Boxing won't disappear and there are some real stars rising.
If you haven't seen Gennady Golovkin...you're missing a potential all-timer.

Ali v. Frazier v. Foreman v. Ali. Downhill since. 'Nuf said.
But you have to admit at least when Tyson was champ boxing had a renaissance. He didn't have the classic fights like you mention or the classic opponents but he had an aura to him. Not sure if it was a good or bad aura but at least it was something. We may never see a golden age of boxing again, not like CTO mentions or like you mention but fights like Ali vs Wepner or Ali vs Quarry. People would love to relive even those days.

cto said:

How about that Dempsey v Tunney match?

Numbers > perception

Maybe not, but he was 39-6 with 30 KOs. Mayweather of course is a great fighter. But you apparently miss the point of my post vs. cherry picking a name or 2 I happened to choose. The hay days of boxing are in the past, even with an occasional big hyped match like last night.

Friday Night Fights sponsored by Pabst Blue Ribbon and Gillette. P.S. don't forget the great Archie Moore.

Reactions: cto
No sugar Ray robinson?

Maybe not, but he was 39-6 with 30 KOs. Mayweather of course is a great fighter. But you apparently miss the point of my post vs. cherry picking a name or 2 I happened to choose. The hay days of boxing are in the past, even with an occasional big hyped match like last night.

no, i didnt. Mayweathers "popularity" numbers kill de la hoya

your "perception" is not "reality"

Numbers > perception

Really?

They fought in 2007 when de la Hoya was 34 years old and beyond his prime. Mayweather won a split decision. I'd say that qualifies as being in the same hemisphere.

My son (21) was telling me last night's fight was the first he had sat down and watched his entire life. This is someone that is a huge sorts fan. I feel badly for folks born in the late 80s and beyond. From the 60s through the 80s there were all sorts of great fighters in numerous weight classes. Duran, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Spinks brothers, Aaron Pryor, Larry Holmes, etc. and I'm sure I left several out.

Kinda laughable that last night's fight qualified as this generation's fight of the century.

Watching Tyson in his prime on HBO was awesome. We didn't care that the fight would be over quickly. His dominance was part of the appeal. I remember Hagler, Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard...there were some damn good fights on HBO in the 80's.

Watching Tyson in his prime on HBO was awesome. We didn't care that the fight would be over quickly. His dominance was part of the appeal. I remember Hagler, Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard...there were some damn good fights on HBO in the 80's.
I saw Sugar Ray Leonard fight Larry Bonds (The Fighting Garbageman!!) in the Dome (80? 81?). Leonard carried him for 10 rounds before taking him out (TKO). Loved watching Sugar Ray - Duran, Ayib Kalule, Marvelous Marvin, Benitez... Loved watching him box.