OT: I'm laughing at all the people this morning that want a refund on the boxing match. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: I'm laughing at all the people this morning that want a refund on the boxing match.

Really?

They fought in 2007 when de la Hoya was 34 years old and beyond his prime. Mayweather won a split decision. I'd say that qualifies as being in the same hemisphere.

The poster I responded to was not talking about skills of boxers. he was talking about popularity.

my post has absolutely nothing to do with who was or is the better boxer.

no, i didnt. Mayweathers "popularity" numbers kill de la hoya

your "perception" is not "reality"
Yes, you did. This isn't about 1 fighter vs. another. You can have Mayweather - I agree he's a great fighter and popular. This is about boxing in general now vs. years ago. Never mind.

Yes, you did. This isn't about 1 fighter vs. another. You can have Mayweather - I agree he's a great fighter and popular. This is about boxing in general now vs. years ago. Never mind.
Why exactly is he popular? His fights are boring and he beats up women.
th

I feel like boxing is no longer about whooping your opponent, going for the TKO and trying to win belts. It's more about promoting the fight and making the most money, and for being seen at the "big fights".

I checked out the fight on Periscope for a few rounds, but know I didn't miss much. Without the characters of yesteryear, boxing will continue to fade.

The most laughable thing is this fight was being called the "Fight of the Century", which is the most asinine thing possible.

Rocky Balboa
Apollo Creed
Ivan Drago
Clubber Lang
Thunderlips
Mason Dixon
Spider Rico
Adonis Creed looks promising
Mac Lee Green
Phillip Hammerman

#1 on any list, even a Rocky themed list.

Boxing won't disappear and there are some real stars rising.
If you haven't seen Gennady Golovkin...you're missing a potential all-timer.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Golovkin. He's so good and a lot of fun to watch. Undefeated with 19 consecutive knockouts. No one wants to fight him.

There was a heavyweight championship fight in the Garden between one of the Klitschkos and a guy from Philly a week ago last Saturday. I heard about it three days later.

Rocky Balboa
Apollo Creed
Ivan Drago
Clubber Lang
Thunderlips
Mason Dixon
Spider Rico
Mac Lee Green
Phillip Hammerman

Pssshhh, Spider Rico was a bum, I'm taking Mick's word for it.

There was a heavyweight championship fight in the Garden between one of the Klitschkos and a guy from Philly a week ago last Saturday. I heard about it three days later.
That says it all about boxing's current status.
The morning of the fight and the morning after...NO mention of it at all on sports reports of WCBS (all news station) in NYC.
A heavyweight title fight at the Garden.

That's because Wladimir Klitschko is so boring to watch and he's not an American
Like Mayweather he does what he has to do to win.
And in his case it's jab...right hand...jab...right hand.
He so big and effective with it that no one can reach him any more to make it a fight...although Bryant Jennings made a good effort.

As big a non-entity as Klitschko is here...he is a huge star in Europe.
Kind of like Malik Hairston and Hilton Armstrong.

Rocky Balboa
Apollo Creed
Ivan Drago
Clubber Lang
Thunderlips
Mason Dixon
Spider Rico
Mac Lee Green
Phillip Hammerman

Maggie Fitzgerald.

Really. It's boxing. What did you guys expect. You should be happy it went the distance and wasn't a Mike Tyson 1st round TKO. I heard parts of Lupica's show on the radio. He is more annoying than ever. What a whiny little biotch.
th

I haven't clicked on or bought the daily news in about 15 years strictly because of Lupica.

They were giving tickets away for that fight, Boxing is just about dead.

Boxing won't disappear and there are some real stars rising.
If you haven't seen Gennady Golovkin...you're missing a potential all-timer.

I've heard boxing is/was done my entire life...yet here we are on Monday and at my office this fight has gotten more talk than any event outside the Super Bowl. Golovkin is fighting Willie Monroe from Rochester in a couple weeks. Monroe is a great guy and I'll definitely be tuning in.

I've heard boxing is/was done my entire life...yet here we are on Monday and at my office this fight has gotten more talk than any event outside the Super Bowl. Golovkin is fighting Willie Monroe from Rochester in a couple weeks. Monroe is a great guy and I'll definitely be tuning in.
Willie Monroe, Jr. has had a tough life.
Would be nice to see a good guy win.
And he's got the fighting background...uncle Willie "The Worm" Monroe was terrific. Beat Marvin Hagler.
But...he's really overmatched in this one.
Golovkin is on a whole different level.

Manny is a strong man of God and the first thing Mayweather said after winning was thanks to God imo, for me that made it worth every penny.

And when was the last time people talked about a fight Monday morning, and when will be the next time?

And when was the last time people talked about a fight Monday morning, and when will be the next time?
Not sure. But when has anyone talked about UFC on a Monday? Never that I can remember and I don't see that changing. Boxing could benefit from a unification of belts but I see the sport continuing to draw. Especially with the largest immigrant population in the US liking it more than football, basketball,baseball, hockey and UFC.

Not sure. But when has anyone talked about UFC on a Monday? Never that I can remember and I don't see that changing. Boxing could benefit from a unification of belts but I see the sport continuing to draw. Especially with the largest immigrant population in the US liking it more than football, basketball,baseball, hockey and UFC.

Lesnar/Mir 2

Lesnar/Mir 2
Admittedly I was still in college back then but even so, a glance at the PPV numbers shows that twice as many people ordered the Mayweather fight. Also, with the high price tag, I'd imagine there were more people splitting the fight than a normal PPV event.